Thread: Iridium GO! MiFi

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    I've had the opportunity to test this already. Excellent product, will be cheaper than the handsets and have plans designed for its use.

Can connect 5 phones to it at one time, all can simultaneously text. Voice quality was very good.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I wonder how much data will cost.
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Volaris View Post
    I wonder how much data will cost.
    This will obviously vary depending on what reseller or service provider you choose, and how much they decide to mark it up.. I can tell you that Iridium is designing specific plans for the GO.

Device(s)
    Moto G4, Novatel 7730L, ZTE Mobley, StarTAC
    Carrier(s)
    Viaero, Commnet, VZW, AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    This iridium go operator offers "unlimited" data for $130 a month: http://www.groundcontrol.com/Iridium_Go.htm In reality it probably has an upper limit around 1000 minutes of data calls.

Granted your system would have to work very hard to get anything north of a few MB across the link. Iridium's L band network is all narrow band and geared towards circuit switched calls (it was hopelessly obsolete the day they launched it). Hopefully Iridium 2.0 will be much better.

In general, do whatever you can to connect to a terrestrial cellular network (be it Amps, high gain antennas, both, reflected paths, or relay station). Satellite is whoafully overbooked in north America (your competing with the oil industry and their blank checks for sat comm service).

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+ SnapFon3G
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket, Pure Talk
    Feedback Score
    I spent some time looking over the Iridium Go! ($799) at groundcontrol,com. They admit that it is frustratingly super slow for data, 2.4 to 2.8 Kbps (uncompressed) and 24 Kbps (compressed). They recommend the Wideye iSavi IsatHub internet terminal, which uses Inmarsat. Data speeds: download- up to 380 Kbps, upload- up to 240 Kbps, they say it uses new technology only available since October 2014, cheapest airtime package (at bluecosmo.com) is "Standby" at $220 a year, outgoing voice- $0.99 a minute, outgoing SMS- $0.49, data- $3.85 per MB. Oh, did I mention it costs $1349?

Feedback Score
    Jesus christ where is reasonably priced reasonable bucket sized satellite internet? 24Kbps? lol so you could type faster than your internet is going.