Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How's your speed?

Feedback Score

Angry How's your speed?

Mine sucks. It says LTE sometimes (mostly it says 3G) but speed test never shows anything better than 1.5Mb down and 1 up. This on a brand new unlocked iPhone 5S.

Their system also lost my port request and customer support keeps sending me instructions on how to port while activating a new phone.

I'm going to AT&T gophone.

Phone
    Nokia 6590i
    Carrier
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Been getting crappy (for LTE) speeds recently also. Have been wondering if it's provisioning or just across the board bad for everyone. Seeing like 5M/5M or so. The little speed chart in the speedtest.net app shows a very choppy graph.

Any other reports?

Feedback Score
    My iPhone 4s is only 3G. 2.2 Mbps down, 0.8 up twice in a row a moment ago, using two different servers. 2.2 down is about half what I normally see here on ST, but about what 3G Verizon does here, max.

Feedback Score
    Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1392282500.320349.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  50.1 KB

This is at 3am and during the day it's even slower. I think I'm going back to go phone. The two gigs is fine with me but for the last month data has been very very off. Sometimes it's fast and others times it's been WAY SLOW with lte still showing up....

Sent with the HoFo App

Phone
    Nexus 5
    Carrier
    Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1392299566434.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  45.5 KB
    Looks okay for me.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    I will have questions for you.
    Don't be afraid to ask me questions.

Phone
    iPhone 5c
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The fastest I've ever seen with the AT&T LTE SIM is 20 down and 10 up, I've never seen it get past 20, but I always assumed it was AT&T's network. I guess it's the Tracfone proxy that all the data goes through.

Phone
    Nexus 5
    Carrier
    Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dnywlsh View Post
    The fastest I've ever seen with the AT&T LTE SIM is 20 down and 10 up, I've never seen it get past 20, but I always assumed it was AT&T's network. I guess it's the Tracfone proxy that all the data goes through.
    It's the proxy. When I was on GoPhone, I was able to do 60 down and 20 up sometimes.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I usually get between 2-6 mbps on HSPA and 15 to 28 mbps on LTE.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by heddhunter View Post
    Mine sucks. It says LTE sometimes (mostly it says 3G) but speed test never shows anything better than 1.5Mb down and 1 up. This on a brand new unlocked iPhone 5S.

Their system also lost my port request and customer support keeps sending me instructions on how to port while activating a new phone.

I'm going to AT&T gophone.

Don't fret it, speed tests are only a snapshot in time and still don't tell you much. There are so many variables to data speeds that labels like 3G 4G LTE etc don't mean much. My wife is on LTE, I'm on 3G, there is no difference in our speeds 95% of the times. Youtube 3G vs LTE and you'll see side by side real world speed comparisons (some with two of the same exact phones) and you'll find often the 3G signal is just as fast or even faster than the 4G LTE. LTE is marketing mostly. Yes, theoretical LTE is faster, but in the real world? Well, sometimes..if you're in the right location and all the stars align it is... but usually not for a sustained period of time. and sometimes it's even slower.

Phone
    iPhone 5c
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie500 View Post
    Don't fret it, speed tests are only a snapshot in time and still don't tell you much. There are so many variables to data speeds that labels like 3G 4G LTE etc don't mean much. My wife is on LTE, I'm on 3G, there is no difference in our speeds 95% of the times. Youtube 3G vs LTE and you'll see side by side real world speed comparisons (some with two of the same exact phones) and you'll find often the 3G signal is just as fast or even faster than the 4G LTE. LTE is marketing mostly. Yes, theoretical LTE is faster, but in the real world? Well, sometimes..if you're in the right location and all the stars align it is... but usually not for a sustained period of time. and sometimes it's even slower.
    On Straight Talk this is sometimes true, but with AT&T postpaid, LTE is generally always over 20Mbps (sometimes as high as 60Mbps) while 3G is usually between 3-8Mbps. That's a big difference.
    I consistently get 10-20Mbps on LTE on Straight Talk (AT&T) and 3-8Mbps on 3G. While a difference between 8 and 20Mbps might not be noticeable when doing general browsing, it's usually noticeable with video and file downloads, but the type of phone also matters.

Feedback Score
    On Straight Talk this is sometimes true, but with AT&T postpaid, LTE is generally always over 20Mbps (sometimes as high as 60Mbps) while 3G is usually between 3-8Mbps. That's a big difference.
    I consistently get 10-20Mbps on LTE on Straight Talk (AT&T) and 3-8Mbps on 3G. While a difference between 8 and 20Mbps might not be noticeable when doing general browsing, it's usually noticeable with video and file downloads, but the type of phone also matters.
    You can find many youtube comparisons comparing Straight Talk AT&T speeds vs AT&T post paid speeds, such as this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrH-6gbaxZs where ST is faster. Despite conspiracy theories, prepaid and post paid get the same priority, using the exact same towers and protocol, there is no difference in speeds, other than daily factors that affect signal that come into play. You can search for a thread I started out here about 9-10 months ago, where I compared my brothers then brand new Galaxy S4 on AT&T LTE post-paid to my to 3G phone on pre-paid, we ran comparison tests all day long in several difference locations and his LTE service was no faster overall than my 3G. At times his was a little faster and at times mine was. For some reason videos loaded faster all the time on my 3G phone, and they still do compared to my wifes Atrix HD on LTE.

Phone
    iPhone 5c
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie500 View Post
    You can find many youtube comparisons comparing Straight Talk AT&T speeds vs AT&T post paid speeds, such as this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrH-6gbaxZs where ST is faster. Despite conspiracy theories, prepaid and post paid get the same priority, using the exact same towers and protocol, there is no difference in speeds, other than daily factors that affect signal that come into play. You can search for a thread I started out here about 9-10 months ago, where I compared my brothers then brand new Galaxy S4 on AT&T LTE post-paid to my to 3G phone on pre-paid, we ran comparison tests all day long in several difference locations and his LTE service was no faster overall than my 3G. At times his was a little faster and at times mine was. For some reason videos loaded faster all the time on my 3G phone, and they still do compared to my wifes Atrix HD on LTE.
    I believe they get the same priority, but they aren't handled the same way. Straight Talk's data gets routed through Tracfone's proxy server in Florida, which slows down the speeds (and makes ping times higher). There's a reason you don't see speed tests on ST AT&T that exceed 30Mbps, the proxy slows the speeds. I don't think this is something deliberately done by Tracfone, I think it has to do with the traffic all going through one proxy server. However, speeds vary from location to location. To reliably compare the speed, you have to use the same phone in the same location. I've tested two iPhone 5s in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Washington DC, Baltimore, New York City, and many other cities, and I consistently get only 10-20Mbps on Straight Talk LTE and 3-8Mbps on 3G. Using the same server on the Speedtest.net app for all the tests is important also. (Screenshots below)

AT&T Postpaid LTE vs. Straight Talk AT&T LTE speed test:

AT&T Postpaid 3G (HSPA) vs. Straight Talk AT&T 3G (HSPA) speed test:

Feedback Score
    I was on AT&T postpaid for the last 5 years (paid for by work - unfortunately I just quit that job). The speeds were great whenever the phone said "LTE". If it said "4G" it was usually slow to unusable. (I'm in San Francisco.) With the same phone, same locations, just replaced the AT&T sim with Straight Talk, LTE speeds are poor, and when LTE is not available (about 60% of the time - alot more than when I was on AT&T) it says 3G, not 4G. There's no way it's the same network.

I'm getting a GoPhone sim this weekend to test.

Phone
    iPhone 5c
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I was on AT&T postpaid for the last 5 years (paid for by work - unfortunately I just quit that job). The speeds were great whenever the phone said "LTE". If it said "4G" it was usually slow to unusable. (I'm in San Francisco.) With the same phone, same locations, just replaced the AT&T sim with Straight Talk, LTE speeds are poor, and when LTE is not available (about 60% of the time - alot more than when I was on AT&T) it says 3G, not 4G. There's no way it's the same network.

That's because of the APN that Straight Talk uses. It slows the data speeds down considerably.

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

Reason why it says 3g instead of 4g is ATT falsely labels their HSPA as 4g, Straight Talk calls the same thing 3g. It said 3g until the 15.7 carrier update!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast