Thread: Tracfone Samsung S390G - 'sms memory full', but deleting messages doesn't help

Feedback Score

Tracfone Samsung S390G - 'sms memory full', but deleting messages doesn't help

I have a Tracfone Samsung S390G phone that I've had for almost a year and a half now, I think. For what it is, it works just fine. But recently, I've been getting messages about the SMS memory being low, and then subsequently full. So, I deleted a bunch of messages, and the problem goes away for a short time, then comes back again. It's now to the point where I'm getting the message after receiving just a handful of new messages. I now have about 20 messages in my inbox, and none to speak of in other folders (a few in the sent box, but I've gone and weeded out most of those as well).

I don't use the web on this phone, haven't installed any other apps, have taken fewer than a half dozen photos, and have added a 1GB microSD card just because I had it around. I do get the occasional MMS message, but they tend to just be mass texts from friends and don't include photos or other multimedia. My SMS messages are not large--usually under 100B.

I've done some searching here and on other sites, and the only suggestions I've come across are to delete apps. But in my case, that's not really the issue, i don't think, since I've never added any apps. When I look at the Memory Usage for the phone, I'm seeing total of about 225/500 (messages? kb's? not sure) messages stored on the phone, and 30/30 on the SIM (according to the icon on screen). MMS are using 269KB total. I think there's something in settings indicating that I'm using about 2 MB total of the 120 MB internal memory. Jeezo.

For some reason, it would appear that my phone is using the SIM to store SMS messages, and I'm not sure how to change that. In my messages inbox, some messages have a little SIM icon on them (I assume those are stored on the SIM), and the "normal" SMS messages have not special icon, so I assume those are part of the internal memory.

At any rate, I'm getting tired of this ridiculous nonsense. Is there anything I can do, short erasing everything on my phone, to reclaim my SMS free space so I don't have to putter around trying to reclaim a few extra bytes every time I want to receive a new 50B SMS?

Feedback Score
    Make sure your phone is set to save SMS messages to the phone's memory and not the very limited SIM card memory. If you check the phone's memory usage it should tell you how many SMS messages are saved to phone memory, the total SMS capacity, and how many SMS slots are free.
    Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Yes, that's what I'd like to do, but there doesn't seem to be an option anywhere on the phone to specify where SMS/MMS messages get stored. Hence, my question.

Feedback Score
    http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/t...=en_US&search=

Check the users guide .pdf and tutorial. I think it's under sms options.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I looked at my own S390g. Looks like you exhausted every possible avenue - the phone is supposed to automatically switch over to phone memory after the SIM card memory is full for SMS. The last two options I can think of, are first to remove the battery while the phone is on; then, put it back in after 30 seconds and boot the phone up. That always clears up some random problems on phones both new and old. Secondly, you would have to just erase all the SMS and start again. You probably are trying to avoid that or you would have done it already.
    Castrol EDGE 5W-30 is my drug of choice.

Primary: iPhone 6 64GB, Lumia 635, & LG L90: 5 lines, 1x $15 5GB data, 2x $5 Android web, 1x $2.99 T-Zones, corp discount + $10/mo loyalty discount = $93/mo tax inclusive
    Secondary: iPhone 4S & Optimus Dynamic II: TracFone (Verizon); LG Mach: RingPlus (Sprint)
    Tablet: iPad Mini Retina w/ T-Mobile 4G LTE

Feedback Score
    I've looked through the manual, and I don't see anything about specifying SMS storage, only how to deal with deleting messages when the memory is full.

Per the other suggestion, I removed the battery, let the phone sit powered off, and powered it back up. Hopefully that clears any gremlins and allows it to work again.

Feedback Score
    Check Settings-phone-memory management ...... how many messages do you have in sim and phone memory of 530 capacity?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    Check Settings-phone-memory management ...... how many messages do you have in sim and phone memory of 530 capacity?
    250/500
    and
    30/30

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by muddy123 View Post
    I've looked through the manual, and I don't see anything about specifying SMS storage, only how to deal with deleting messages when the memory is full.

Per the other suggestion, I removed the battery, let the phone sit powered off, and powered it back up. Hopefully that clears any gremlins and allows it to work again.
    There's no setting. All recent phones (like from back in 2002/2003 when I got my Samsung S105) that have phone memory for SMS, will automatically switch it over. It's not like having phone and SIM memory for phone numbers, which phones will let you specify where you want to read/save numbers from.

I'm curious if pulling the battery will help. Keep us updated. I actually really like the S390g but I've read more than its fair share of small bugs that it has. I rarely use mine (it's in my glovebox) but I haven't had any problems.

Feedback Score
    After reading this thread I checked on my S390G. It showed
    63/500 (on phone)
    17/30 (on SIM)
    That seems bizarre. With some experimentation, it looks like inbox (and possible templates) is on SIM and sentbox is on phone, but the numbers don't exactly match.

I suppose it's possible to look at the SIM card with a reader, see which messages they are, and copy them elsewhere if they're important. I'm personally reluctant to do this, because the last time I used a SIM reader it zapped my SIM.