Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lycamobile is a much less expensive alternative to Roam Mobility for many

Feedback Score

Lycamobile is a much less expensive alternative to Roam Mobility for many

If you're thinking about using Roam Mobility, you should give serious consideration to Lycamobile since they both use the exact same T-Mobile network. For many Canadians, a lot of money can be saved by using Lycamobile. Please read what I've posted in the US Prepaid Forum if you'd like to learn more.
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...ling-in-the-US

Feedback Score
    For data only roam mobility is still cheaper, for voice you're right lycra mobile is...

With roam mobility:
    30 Days: $29.95 for 2,000 MB

With Lycramobile:
    30 Days: $29 for 250 MB

Feedback Score
    Yes for someone who needs a lot of data, Lycamobile could get expensive. However many Canadians travelling in the US don't need much data and would rather not pay the expensive rates that Roam charges when they won't come close to using all that's available to them.

Feedback Score

Lycamobile is a much less expensive alternative to Roam Mobility for many

On a recent 10 day trip my wife and I spent under $5.00 total on our 2 lycamobile accounts. We texted and called US and Canadian numbers. We called a Europe number. We used data to check and send email, search the internet, check weather forecasts, etc. (No streaming).
    We would have spent over $80 with Roam for each of us to have 10 days of talk/text/data with them. That's assuming we already had their incredibly expensive SIM cards.
    Remember Lyca and Roam use the exact same T-Mobile service.
    I've purchased Lyca sims for 20 cents each and they can be found for even less.
    Last edited by Creete; 03-21-2014 at 04:52 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Creete View Post
    On a recent 10 day trip my wife and I spent under $5.00 total on our 2 lycamobile accounts. We texted and called US and Canadian numbers. We called a Europe number. We used data to check and send email, search the internet, check weather forecasts, etc. (No streaming).
    We would have spent over $80 with Roam for each of us to have 10 days of talk/text/data with them. That's assuming we already had their incredibly expensive SIM cards.
    Remember Lyca and Roam use the exact same T-Mobile service.
    I've purchased Lyca sims for 20 cents each and they can be found for even less.
    Seems Lycra wins on cost of SIM cards and talk minutes. In terms of data, both RM and Windmobile win.

Quote Originally Posted by @Class View Post
    For data only roam mobility is still cheaper, for voice you're right lycra mobile is...

With roam mobility:
    30 Days: $29.95 for 2,000 MB

With Lycramobile:
    30 Days: $29 for 250 MB

1.. With RM new rate of increased data ($4 per day for 300 Mb free talk/text ) the choice of consumers hungry for data is pretty clear.
    2. For longer stay over 2 weeks Wind's solution is pretty competitive. Here is a brief comparison between various services available to Canadians going to the U S:

Feedback Score
    Also keep in mind that you can spend even less than $25 for H2O's (AT&T) service. $10 can be purchased. It will last 90 days at which time your remaining balance can be maintained by adding more funds. Or let it expire and activate a new sim on your next trip if your travel is infrequent.
    I encourage everyone looking for US service while travelling to try to roughly calculate your anticipated usage. Look at your typical usage in Canada. How will your travel usage compare? Just don't waste your money on service you won't use.
    Most of the people I know don't require more than $10 of service during their US stays.

Feedback Score
    I encourage everyone looking for US service while travelling to try to roughly calculate your anticipated usage. Look at your typical usage in Canada. How will your travel usage compare? Just don't waste your money on service you won't use.
    Most of the people I know don't require more than $10 of service during their US stays.
    In calculating your data/call/text usage in Canada you should include the data on home wifi as well.

1. Are there wifi in camp ground or Florida condo ?
    2. Will a thrifty spender be able to stop teenage kids from doing youtube/streaming on their cell or tablet device?
    3. Will a thrifty spender be able to stop chatter box like women?
    4. Are there wifi /data on the road/highway to destination?

Once when all is factored in you will know that $10 of cell service while roaming in the US is more like $3,000-4,000 if the roaming rate of Rogers is used as a yardstick.

The carriers know that "data" is everything now as it is a cash cow.

When you are on vacation do you want to be a "control freak" all the time? Is that reassuring when the costs could be capped?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dtong22 View Post
    In calculating your data/call/text usage in Canada you should include the data on home wifi as well.

1. Are there wifi in camp ground or Florida condo ?
    2. Will a thrifty spender be able to stop teenage kids from doing youtube/streaming on their cell or tablet device?
    3. Will a thrifty spender be able to stop chatter box like women?
    4. Are there wifi /data on the road/highway to destination?

Once when all is factored in you will know that $10 of cell service while roaming in the US is more like $3,000-4,000 if the roaming rate of Rogers is used as a yardstick.

The carriers know that "data" is everything now as it is a cash cow.

When you are on vacation do you want to be a "control freak" all the time? Is that reassuring when the costs could be capped?
    All good advice here.
    #2 seems especially scary to me.
    I wouldn't want to be worrying about that cellular data switch getting switched on by Jr. when it's supposed to stay off.
    Nice thing about prepaid is you're guaranteed to only spend as much as what you put in.

Feedback Score
    On a recent day trip to the US I didn't end up needing to use my Lycamobile SIM but it was certainly nice to have service just in case. I was sure to make a $0.02 phone call to extend the expiry of my balance another 90 days. This used to be 120 days but I now read it as 90 in their Terms & Conditions. Can anyone confirm either way?
    Also, if you don't get to the US often enough to use the SIM you can extend your expiry by popping it in here in Canada. You'll be on the Rogers network and a $0.64 text will be the least expensive way to use the service and extend expiry. Still a very affordable way to maintain your balance.

Device(s)
    Samsung GS7, Nokia 6350
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    On a recent day trip to the US I didn't end up needing to use my Lycamobile SIM but it was certainly nice to have service just in case. I was sure to make a $0.02 phone call to extend the expiry of my balance another 90 days. This used to be 120 days but I now read it as 90 in their Terms & Conditions. Can anyone confirm either way?
    Also, if you don't get to the US often enough to use the SIM you can extend your expiry by popping it in here in Canada. You'll be on the Rogers network and a $0.64 text will be the least expensive way to use the service and extend expiry. Still a very affordable way to maintain your balance.
    Correct. Recent change: now you have to use service every 90 days (Instead of 120 days) to extend your balance. A quick forum search of "Lycamobile 90 days" yields lots of reports of this (just a handful listed below):

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1834830

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1833171

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1834397

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1775851

This information is also stated in the Lycamobile Terms and Conditions:

http://www.lycamobile.us/en/termsandconditions

Sent from my XT1053 using the HoFo app

Feedback Score
    Thank you for confirming.

Device(s)
    Samsung GS7, Nokia 6350
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thank you for confirming.
    No problem. I have had a line with Lycamobile since last year and have been happy with it.

Sent from my XT1053 using the HoFo app

Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Who are you? If you are going on a driving trip of the US using Google Maps as you guide your needs are going to be different than a person who lives on the border and crosses over three times a week to grab milk, cheese and fill up the tank. I live in Detroit and a friend of mine who is a Windsor attorney cuts up I-94 as a shortcut to Sarnia fairly regularly. She knows the route cold and has an hour plus drive through the United States back to Canada when she has court in Sarnia. Her needs are going to be different. (Note: She is on a Windsor/Detroit plan so it probably doesn't matter to her).

Lycamobile is a good offering. So is TMobile. I think TMobile is the better option because you can flip between a day plan and a PAYG plan but it costs more to call and text to Canada. Say you live in Surrey, BC. If you run across to Blaine for an hour a couple times of the week to grab your mail, Amazon packages, and gas up, by the minute is the better deal. Same for a quick run down to Bellingham for a couple of hours of shoppinp, but now you decide to go to Seattle for the weekend. You are probably better with a by the day plan, particularly if you are now GPSing.

What Roam Mobility could do to distinguish itself is to offer Canadian textable numbers tied to a US SIM card.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stufried View Post
    What Roam Mobility could do to distinguish itself is to offer Canadian textable numbers tied to a US SIM card.
    Is that even technically feasible? I'm trying to imagine how that would work. I guess they'd have to register as a Canadian MVNO, get Canadian local phone numbers, and then set them up to roam? I wonder how that would change their costs with T-Mobile.

Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Telna Mobile offers this. 02 in the UK has it. Buy a SMS friendly VOIP DIDs and attach them to the phone.
    Last edited by stufried; 06-24-2014 at 06:42 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast