Thread: Facts vs FUD: Roam Mobility vs Rogers

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score

Post Facts vs FUD: Roam Mobility vs Rogers

Peter Nowak was previously mentioned on these forums as one of my heroes of mobile tech. Yesterday he tweeted this:

Rogers makes a case for why subscribers should stick with its roaming over alternatives. Sounds like the heat is on http://t.co/eefGyJwL4Z
    Unless I'm mistaken, the "heat" he refers to is coming from Roam Mobility and, to a lesser extent, KnowRoaming. And unless I missed it, Peter didn't pursue the story any further, so I thought I'd step in.

So Much FUD

The link in Peter's tweet directed me to the Rogers RedBoard, the official blog of Rogers Communications — specifically a post from June 17th, 2013 entitled:

U.S. roaming: What you need to know to make an informed choice

... wherein Rogers makes the case for its own exorbitant roaming fees over a prepaid SIM card.

Rogers Prepaid SIM
    Device Keep your existing handset Pay to unlock your handset or purchase a second device for your trip
    Phone number Maintain your existing phone number and address book – keeping communication easy Switch to a local number – which friends and families may not recognize when you call or text.
    Coverage Extensive coverage thanks to 22 direct roaming relationships. Access to a single operator’s network.
    Speeds Access to 3G/4G data speeds on partner networks. Customers may be limited to 2G data speeds only.
    Billing Keep tabs on your spending with one single bill that includes all your wireless services and roaming. Track spending on prepaid SIM cards in addition to your bill for your services at home.

Name:  ted-rogers.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  38.3 KB

That sound you hear is just maniacal laughter from the ghost of Ted Rogers, is all... Anyway, here's my own version of that same table:

Rogers Prepaid SIM
    Device Keep your existing handset. Keep your existing unlocked handset.
    Phone number Those you communicate with abroad may incur additional charges by having to call or text your Canadian number. Use a local number — and if that's an issue use email or IM instead.
    Coverage Access to a single operator’s network (at a time). Access to a single operator’s network.
    Speeds Customers may be limited to 2G data speeds. Customers may be limited to 2G data speeds.
    Billing The sky's the limit! You won't know the damage until you get your next bill. Control your spending by pre-paying a set amount, which is kind of the whole point of prepaid, right?

FTFY!

The Numbers

I myself am particularly interested in the subject of U.S. Roaming as my girlfriend and I will be visiting New York City next month. In fact, I've already purchased a pair of Roam Mobility SIMs and set an activation date for them. We really don't care about talking or text; we just want data, as much as we can get.

Fortunately for us, Roam Mobility's current promotion offers a data bucket three times the usual allotment — a hefty 900MB each for three days. As an added bonus our plans include:

• Unlimited talk
    • International SMS
    • Free long distance calls back home.

Cost per person per day of service: $3.95 CAD

Meanwhile, over at Rogers, the following "travel packs" are offered for the USA:

• $7.99/day for 50MB of data
    • $40/month for 200MB (less than 7MB/day)
    • $80/month for 500MB (less than 17MB/day)

If and when that Roam Mobility promotion expires they'll still be offering twice as much data as Rogers for less than half the price. On paper at least, Roam Mobility is the clear winner here.
    My mobile memoirs — free ebook available here.
    My HoFo feedback... is that still a thing?

Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    I did a similar comparison over my blog, although the prices have changed a bit and Know Roaming entered the scene the logic is still valid.

I have to say, whenever you see may in a list of issues you safely assume it's FUD and only applies in rare cases or is easily mitigated.

Here's my article on the subject.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score

Toronto

We've crossed paths before, haven't we? Maybe on Google+?

Anyway, nice piece!

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score

Toronto Damage Control from Rogers

Fyi, just got this in my inbox:

Hi Andrew,

Sarah from the Rogers social media team here. I saw your post on Howard Forums and your blog comparing our roaming options to the U.S. with Roam Mobility's.

We offer a variety of affordable roaming options to our customers who travel to the U.S. and beyond. I just wanted to clear up a few things here:

In your table, you say customers won’t get their roaming total until they receive their bill. That’s not necessarily the case. One of the great benefits of our $7.99 Daily Internet rate is the ability to keep track of much data a customer has consumed so they know how much they have been charged for data roaming. If a customer is consuming data at the $7.99 rate, a text message notification will be sent at 45MB so they are aware when they are about to exceed the 50MB allotment. Additionally, customers can also text USAGE to 7626 and receive a free text message from Rogers indicating how much data has been consumed at this rate.

Rogers customers are also capped at $100 in data roaming pay-per-use charges. The customer must specifically consent to additional charges to continue using data or data services while roaming will remain on hold. This provides customers with added protection over their roaming charges.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions, or wants anymore information.

Sarah
    At least they're paying attention, if not really listening...

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I have used both Rogers and Roam Mobility and will be using Roam again in a couple weeks for a trip. Having Roam is like using my phone at home where I'm not worried about my data at all. Way way better cost. And now with the Rogers One Number app I can still be reached on my phone. Thanks Rogers! You are saving me money by not choosing you while in the US.

Device(s)
    Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    fido
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Instead of arguing with it's customers, perhaps Rogers should actually compete?

Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by angusou812 View Post
    Rogers should actually compete?
    Unfortunately they don't consider Roam to be a competitor.

And those they do consider competitors they are - sadly - actually competitive with.

Their first move, if they ever decided to compete with Roam, would not be to adjust their prices but to get their lobbyists to adjust the laws! Like making unlocking phones illegal, making it harder to buy factory unlocked phones, make changing the SIM void your warranty, etc.
    Headed for the second star to the right and straight on 'til morning...

Schultzter

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score

Toronto

Sad but true.

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson T310
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by schultzter View Post
    Unfortunately they don't consider Roam to be a competitor.
    That's what's beautiful about competition. It's not up to you to decide who competes.
    Fortunately, Robellus can't get their buddies to legislate these guys away.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by acurrie View Post
    Peter Nowak was previously mentioned on these forums as one of my heroes of mobile tech. Yesterday he tweeted this:

Unless I'm mistaken, the "heat" he refers to is coming from Roam Mobility and, to a lesser extent, KnowRoaming. And unless I missed it, Peter didn't pursue the story any further, so I thought I'd step in.

So Much FUD

The link in Peter's tweet directed me to the Rogers RedBoard, the official blog of Rogers Communications — specifically a post from June 17th, 2013 entitled:

U.S. roaming: What you need to know to make an informed choice

... wherein Rogers makes the case for its own exorbitant roaming fees over a prepaid SIM card.

Rogers Prepaid SIM
    Device Keep your existing handset Pay to unlock your handset or purchase a second device for your trip
    Phone number Maintain your existing phone number and address book – keeping communication easy Switch to a local number – which friends and families may not recognize when you call or text.
    Coverage Extensive coverage thanks to 22 direct roaming relationships. Access to a single operator’s network.
    Speeds Access to 3G/4G data speeds on partner networks. Customers may be limited to 2G data speeds only.
    Billing Keep tabs on your spending with one single bill that includes all your wireless services and roaming. Track spending on prepaid SIM cards in addition to your bill for your services at home.

Name:  ted-rogers.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  38.3 KB

That sound you hear is just maniacal laughter from the ghost of Ted Rogers, is all... Anyway, here's my own version of that same table:

Rogers Prepaid SIM
    Device Keep your existing handset. Keep your existing unlocked handset.
    Phone number Those you communicate with abroad may incur additional charges by having to call or text your Canadian number. Use a local number — and if that's an issue use email or IM instead.
    Coverage Access to a single operator’s network (at a time). Access to a single operator’s network.
    Speeds Customers may be limited to 2G data speeds. Customers may be limited to 2G data speeds.
    Billing The sky's the limit! You won't know the damage until you get your next bill. Control your spending by pre-paying a set amount, which is kind of the whole point of prepaid, right?

FTFY!

The Numbers

I myself am particularly interested in the subject of U.S. Roaming as my girlfriend and I will be visiting New York City next month. In fact, I've already purchased a pair of Roam Mobility SIMs and set an activation date for them. We really don't care about talking or text; we just want data, as much as we can get.

Fortunately for us, Roam Mobility's current promotion offers a data bucket three times the usual allotment — a hefty 900MB each for three days. As an added bonus our plans include:

• Unlimited talk
    • International SMS
    • Free long distance calls back home.

Cost per person per day of service: $3.95 CAD

Meanwhile, over at Rogers, the following "travel packs" are offered for the USA:

• $7.99/day for 50MB of data
    • $40/month for 200MB (less than 7MB/day)
    • $80/month for 500MB (less than 17MB/day)

If and when that Roam Mobility promotion expires they'll still be offering twice as much data as Rogers for less than half the price. On paper at least, Roam Mobility is the clear winner here.
    I think the heat on Rogers comes from Wind which roams on At&t plus T Mobile networks at Us$41 for unlimited talk/text/5Gb data a month. Roam Mobility does not and cannot match at all. It is particularly handy for Canadian snowbirds and business. Does Peter know?

Daniel

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by schultzter View Post
    I did a similar comparison over my blog, although the prices have changed a bit and Know Roaming entered the scene the logic is still valid.

I have to say, whenever you see may in a list of issues you safely assume it's FUD and only applies in rare cases or is easily mitigated.

Here's my article on the subject.
    I had a quick read of your artice. After Feb 4 the situation has changed when Windmobile has a US add on total cost US$41 a month

Daniel

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    How much data do you think a call on rogers one number uses?

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    Situation has changed somewhat after my post in March.
    For Rogers' client going for long trip or stay in the States, Wind gives the best option now. For short term like a week RM is ok.
    All he needs is (1) to set up a Wind account ($39 a month plus sim card), (2) forward all existing Rogers' call to the new Wind phone number , (3) use his unlocked Rogers phone with the new SIM from Wind & (4) drive or fly over to the States.
    He is allowed 5 Gb of data, unlimited call/text to Can or States (for a month)
    There is no need to worry about the Rogers' phone not working in the States (with SIM from Wind) as it roams on At&t plus T Mobile networks.
    There is minimal fuss at all. People calling your Rogers # does not even know if you are in the States.
    Also people can save money by tethering the connection to the laptop/netbook/tablet in the long stay (say in Florida condo during wintry months). If no vdo streaming is done 5 Gb of data a month is enough for all intents and purposes. There is no need to set up a few months of internet service for the condo too.