Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Droid Razr Maxx slow down...should I get S4 or S5 (when it comes out?)???

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S5 (VZW), iPad 4 (1GB plan on T-Mobile)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Droid Razr Maxx slow down...should I get S4 or S5 (when it comes out?)???

Okay. I've had my Droid Razr Maxx since Ma 2012. It's one of the best smartphones I've owned. Battery life is great. I'm very happy with it.

Unfortunately, I'm having some problems with it. It's buggy and slow now. I don't have that many apps either. I have done a hard reset, several cache clearings, and I have uninstalled all unnecessary apps. It is still slow. Slow to the point where I sometimes miss calls because the screen will "freeze" when I get an incoming call so I can't answer it.

I am due for an upgrade so I think it's time to get a new phone. I'm thinking about the S4 or S5. I'd LOVE a phone with auto image stabilization, like the G2, does the S4/S5 have this? Should I hold on and wait it out for the S5 or get the S4 now? I've read reviews on both and I'm really stuck.

Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T PrePaid (GoPhone)
    Feedback Score
    The Droid Maxx that came out last year would be the updated version of what you have, nothing else has a battery that will last as long.
    Neither the Galaxy S4 or S5 has optical image stabilization, only the LG G2 has that right now. Most likely the LG G3 will also have OIS.
    =>Why did I leave Verizon Wireless after 18 years? Find out here: Leaving Verizon after 18 years!

=> Read my reviews for the Motorola DROID MAXX, DROID Ultra, and DROID Mini.

=> VX8000 at Disney World:Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Ah. Well now I'm really stuck. I don't know what I'm going to get now. I guess not the S4/S5. I really want image stabilization.

Any word on L3 battery life? Or should I just get a L2???

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Before getting a new device, try a full factory reset. Slow and buggy are software related issues, not hardware at all. The SoC doesn't 'get tired' with age – not perceptibly, anyway.

You're probably just bogged down with gradually accumulating cookies, adware, malware and spyware. Run for awhile after the reset with all new apps and files, before restoring anything from your backups. Some of the nasties will surely be hiding in your old apps and files.

♪Where have all the lens caps gone? ♪
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."

Perspective instantiates reality.

Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamCatcher68 View Post
    Ah. Well now I'm really stuck. I don't know what I'm going to get now. I guess not the S4/S5. I really want image stabilization.

Any word on L3 battery life? Or should I just get a L2???
    To me, the LG G2 had better battery life than the Galaxy S4, but between those two, I did like the S4 more overall, and it did take better pics, despite not having OIS. But I like large screen phones, so the Note 3 then really impressed me. There is a chance the Note 4 might have OIS and a 4K display, but those are rumors, as its still 6 months away.

But Iagree that if your RAZR Maxx is giving you issues, the best thing is to either do a full hard reset, or do a fresh firmware wipe. You can find more info on doing a clean stock firmware install on the XDA Forums site.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I have already done the hard reset and haven't restored anything. I redownloaded a few essential apps (Facebook, Gmail). The phone improved a little bit but still sort of slow. I can't really figure out why. I haven't restored anything aside from just my contacts, which I need.

I think it's interesting that the S4 took better pics than the G2. I will see what the S5 is like when it comes out. I am due for an upgrade but I don't want to get a phone that came out over a year ago.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I have already done the hard reset and haven't restored anything. I redownloaded a few essential apps (Facebook, Gmail). The phone improved a little bit but still sort of slow. I can't really figure out why. I haven't restored anything aside from just my contacts, which I need.

I think it's interesting that the S4 took better pics than the G2. I will see what the S5 is like when it comes out. I am due for an upgrade but I don't want to get a phone that came out over a year ago.
    Even though you've done a hard reset, the other option is a full firmware flash. You have to go to the XDA forum site, download the flashing program, files needed, and connect the phone to the PC for it to flash. Think about it like formatting your hard drive and doing a clean install of Windows.
    But if you are still having issues about that, then there's really nothing else to do but get a newer phone.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    As of now, my phone is about as slow as it was before. I haven't restored anything, just some essential apps. I'm missing calls from time to time too because of the lag. Grr, I want to chuck my phone out of the window sometimes.

I guess the only option is a firmware flash or to get a new phone ASAP.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    As of now, my phone is about as slow as it was before. I haven't restored anything, just some essential apps. I'm missing calls from time to time too because of the lag. Grr, I want to chuck my phone out of the window sometimes.

I guess the only option is a firmware flash or to get a new phone ASAP.
    Yes, like we said the first option would be a full flash back to stock using the methods listed on XDA forums. Since that doesn't cost any money, you may want to try this first. But if still having issues after a flash, then I'd agree that a new phone is the only other option. The S5, newer HTC One M8, or LG G3.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna look into the fireware flash for now. As you said, it's free. I am either going to get the S5 or the LG G3, depending on when they come out and what the user reviews are like.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna look into the fireware flash for now. As you said, it's free. I am either going to get the S5 or the LG G3, depending on when they come out and what the user reviews are like.
    I like the S4 and the G2, but the S4 more (AMOLED display). But then I liked the Note 3 best since it had the largest screen. I'll be interested to see how all these new models compare with each other, but I do like AMOLED screen more than TFT/LCD.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    My 2¢ — I prefer LCD displays for the superior color fidelity. But I still strongly like the S4 over the G2 for the mSD and replaceable battery. OTOH, if the G3 has μSD and 5.5" 1440p/530ppi LCD display, that would be my selection.

♪ Where have all the lens caps gone? ♪
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 03-24-2014 at 12:33 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I am thinking more and more that I will get the G5 when it comes out. I've read the blogs and everyone says that it will come out on April 11th for Canada and that US tends to mirror Canada's release dates, so a VZW release won't be that far off from that time. So I will save my upgrade until then and I will wait a while to see the reviews before I buy.

I would prefer a removable battery but it's not an absolute must. I really want a microSD slot though. G5 is supposed to have both so those are huge pluses in my book and that's probably the phone I'm going to get.

it seems that Razrs tend to slow down after a 1.5-2 years. I talked to someone who has the same phone and she did a factory reset too and it's still slow for her. I know it's not just me.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    …it seems that Razrs tend to slow down after a 1.5-2 years. I talked to someone who has the same phone and she did a factory reset too and it's still slow for her. I know it's not just me.
    This Rezound is really slow, too. I wonder why…

Actually, I cleared all that a month or so back. But the screenshot is just the first of four pages — 70 folders and 750 files ! For example, I might have visited Facebook once or twice years ago. But I have never had an account and I've certainly never been there on this Rezound. But there it is right alongside Doubleclick and Google Analytics.

The problem has nothing to do with your handset's hardware. The S5 will load up over time the same way as your RAZR MAXX because Google's Android makes it easy for the snoopers.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 03-26-2014 at 05:38 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    This Rezound is really slow, too. I wonder why…

Actually, I cleared all that a month or so back. But the screenshot is just the first of four pages — 70 folders and 750 files ! For example, I might have visited Facebook once or twice years ago. But I have never had an account and I've certainly never been there on this Rezound. But there it is right alongside Doubleclick and Google Analytics.

The problem has nothing to do with your handset's hardware. The S5 will load up the same way over time because Google's Android makes it easy for the snoopers.
    I hated the HTC Rezound. It was an embarrassment to be Verizon's first LTE smartphone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast