Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Droid Razr Maxx slow down...should I get S4 or S5 (when it comes out?)???

Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T PrePaid (GoPhone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamCatcher68 View Post
    I am thinking more and more that I will get the G5 when it comes out. I've read the blogs and everyone says that it will come out on April 11th for Canada and that US tends to mirror Canada's release dates, so a VZW release won't be that far off from that time. So I will save my upgrade until then and I will wait a while to see the reviews before I buy.

I would prefer a removable battery but it's not an absolute must. I really want a microSD slot though. G5 is supposed to have both so those are huge pluses in my book and that's probably the phone I'm going to get.

it seems that Razrs tend to slow down after a 1.5-2 years. I talked to someone who has the same phone and she did a factory reset too and it's still slow for her. I know it's not just me.
    The new HTC One M8 isn't that impressive. So you're back to the S5 and the LG G3. The Samsung does have both of what you'relooking for: microSD and removable battery, but the LG G3 will have microSD and an non removable battery.

Unless you go with a phone that is stock Android, such as the Moto X, you'll have to deal with a UI layer that the mmanufacturer uses.
    =>Why did I leave Verizon Wireless after 18 years? Find out here: Leaving Verizon after 18 years!

=> Read my reviews for the Motorola DROID MAXX, DROID Ultra, and DROID Mini.

=> VX8000 at Disney World:Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S5 (VZW), iPad 4 (1GB plan on T-Mobile)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Any ideas on how to prevent the slowdown other than factory reset? I just don't know why my phone is SO DARN slow and I barely have any apps, I clear the cache often, etc. Argh.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FAUguy View Post
    I hated the HTC Rezound. It was an embarrassment to be Verizon's first LTE smartphone.
    You're thinking of the Thunderbolt. The Rezound's a great handset!

I had T-bolt for two weeks after the St. Pat's day release. I gave it back and took the $30 hit.

Any ideas on how to prevent the slowdown other than factory reset? I just don't know why my phone is SO DARN slow and I barely have any apps, I clear the cache often, etc. Argh.
    Other than reflashing and running a custom ROM like CM, not much.

There's a setting, "strict mode" in developer options to 'flash screen when apps run long scripts' or something like that. I keep it on. FF seems to just sit forever doing nothing, then a frame flashes and the page loads. I suspect that's the adware doing its scripted thing before turning my phone back over to my browser.

♪ Where have all the lens caps gone? ♪
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 03-26-2014 at 06:10 PM.
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."

Perspective instantiates reality.

Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    http://www.phonearena.com/news/OIS-L...arison_id54556

I believe the LG G3 will use the newer OIS+ that is shown here on the G Pro 2.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Starting to sound more and more like the G3 is going to be a super handset. WHY, oh why, couldn't it have a real battery, too!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    Starting to sound more and more like the G3 is going to be a super handset. WHY, oh why, couldn't it have a real battery, too!

You just can't remove it. If I had to choose between having a microSD slot OR a removable battery, I'd go with the memory slot.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    I fully agree. But, with Sammy I get both.

For other reasons, I'd prefer a One Max or, now it seems, a G3 to a GN3 – IF either had a simple metal case removable battery.

Those old standard batteries are cheaper to the manufacturer than the plastic-bag polymer kind and Samsung's success shows that consumers are happy with them. The anorexia argument seems overblown to me. So why not?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I am thinking more and more that I will get the G5 when it comes out. I've read the blogs and everyone says that it will come out on April 11th for Canada and that US tends to mirror Canada's release dates, so a VZW release won't be that far off from that time. So I will save my upgrade until then and I will wait a while to see the reviews before I buy.

I would prefer a removable battery but it's not an absolute must. I really want a microSD slot though. G5 is supposed to have both so those are huge pluses in my book and that's probably the phone I'm going to get.

it seems that Razrs tend to slow down after a 1.5-2 years. I talked to someone who has the same phone and she did a factory reset too and it's still slow for her. I know it's not just me.
    So now that the Galaxy S5 is out, you thinking about getting it?

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    …it seems that Razrs tend to slow down after a 1.5-2 years. I talked to someone who has the same phone and she did a factory reset too and it's still slow for her. I know it's not just me.
    It's not just any one device – like your Razr. And it's not the device itself – NOT the hardware – that has the problem. The silicon doesn't "wear out" or "get tired" over time. It potentially could fail, although that's unlikely, but any performance degradation would be imperceptible.

Whatever this problem is, be certain that it's in the software in one way or another.

Of course, no one can prove this has anything at all to do with it, but if most people come to expect that their handset's useful life is no more than two years or so, then – undeniably – the carriers and the manufacturers do both stand to make a great deal of money. No question about that!

Just saying…

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Update:

I took advantage of the Target trade-in deal. I was due for an upgrade anyway, so I traded in my Razr and got the S5 for $99. What a steal. I'm really loving this phone.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    For whatever reason, the S5 is being sold very cheaply right from its release. Vzw already has a bogo deal, too.

Interesting. Good for you, though. Glad you are enjoying your new handset!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I was surprised at the low price too. Yeah, I've seen nice deals for phones like this but never freshly released. Target started the trade in deal on Friday, the day the phone was released.

My guess is that they may be striving to get as many people to buy one as possible. My RAZR was $250 when it first came out. Maybe they figured that a high initial cost was keeping away buyers.

Sent from Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Razr Maxx and S3
    Feedback Score
    I'm in the same boat my Razr Maxx is slowing way down, I've even done a factory reset that helped a bunch, but it is still nothing like it used to be. I currently have a "borrowed" S3 that is absolutely amazing... except for the phone, it drops almost every call(admittedly I live in a fringe area) my crippled Razr never and I mean never drops a call. I know that Motorola was king of the phone radio for at one time, but my question is has Samsung caught up? I still buy my phones for actual phone calling 1st and everything else is just icing on the cake. I would love to have a Note 3 or 4 but if I can't have a phone conversation with it, the stellar camera and killer screen res aren't going to do me much good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2