Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: PC Mobile Unlimited Data CANCELED/REVOKED as of May 21, 2014 - DO panic

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

PC Mobile Unlimited Data CANCELED/REVOKED as of May 21, 2014 - DO panic

This looks pretty clear and unequivocal. All of us who have it will lose it on May 21, once and for all.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/pc-mo.../#post18545874

http://pcmobile.ca/prepaidfaq

Device(s)
    Nexus S, Samsung Blackjack i607
    Carrier(s)
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It's true. I got the text announcement about it too. Grandfathered rates will continue, but consumption is limited to 1 GB per month.

Either someone at Bell decided that the unlimited options were a liability and needed to go as a rule, or Bell just plain got tired of some people pushing their luck with the unlimited data option all the time.

My consumption, if I use WiFi at home, is nowhere near 1GB normally. However, it was great to not have to worry about the occasional burst of usage when away from home.

Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    are you on daily or monthly plan? friend and I didn't get the sms, we are on daily.
    No longer on a leash by Fido

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have one of each. On the monthly $5, I got a text. For the daily $0.25, I received an actual letter! However, my one with the daily data option had been turned off for a long time, so I assumed that the letter was a fallback for when the SMS is not deliverable.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    Good to know. Was fun while it lasted! In all honesty though, it's still cheap for a 1GB plan. I have a balance built up on my SIM, which I use in my tablet, so I'll just keep using it as I please and reevaluate when the balance is low or about to expire.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the update, guess daily plan is also doomed then.

1GB is not bad, the bad part is the overage. Wind's overage is $0.01, so this is five times that.

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yes, 1GB is still a good deal. On most competing prepaid service, $10 or less per month won't get anywhere near that.

The only short-term change that this means for me is to turn on the WiFi at home. I set a data consumption alert on my phone in case of unexpected usage while away.

Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    We also need to check if the loophole still works after. They might block ports, or use other restrictions also. Let's hope not.

For those already on wind postpaid with at least one voice line, then a hotspot plan is $5./mo for 1GB, and 1 cent per MB for overage. For those with only one or two lines, the third one was basically free as the way of calculation of better together savings. (Think that has changed a while ago, so newly activated ones will use a new calculation method). I digress but just to compare the two plans for those who can take advantage either (like me).

But bell's DC-HSPA is much better of course.

Are you sure you letter is related to the daily one? Friend said he didn't get sms nor letter and on daily. This might be the only clue so far so this is important until we have more data points.
    via the HoFo App

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    I'm on 25˘ daily, no letter or SMS yet.

The comparison to WIND isn't great because for me, this SIM is a cheap way to have coverage where WIND doesn't work, and also to enjoy Internet on my tablet without draining my phone battery.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortissimo View Post
    Are you sure you letter is related to the daily one? Friend said he didn't get sms nor letter and on daily. This might be the only clue so far so this is important until we have more data points.
    via the HoFo App
    Good question! The letter is indeed NOT for the account with $0.25/day option. It is for the $5/month one.

So, I have had no notice for the daily one. There could possibly have been one that expired in the system while the phone was off for months.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    My tablet receives SMS without issue but I've never gotten a message about the UMB. Have also not received any mail about it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I myself am on the daily version of the plan as well, and have not in fact received an SMS or letter about the change either. However... I believe that my SMS Inbox was full or unavailable at the time of others receiving the message, and my physical mailing address is likely also non-current, so I sort of attributed the lack of notification in my case to those two factors. With others on the daily plan not getting notice either though, I am no longer as confident as I previously was about this.

The other interesting thing is that even though PC Mobile piggy-backs onto Bell's network, those with old Prepaid UMB plans on Bell itself don't seem to be receiving any type of similar discontinuation notices about their plans. One would tend to assume this decision came from on-high via the brass at the "parent" corporation, yet that seems not to be the case with it being rather a more localized PC-specific move.

I guess we'll all know more before very long...

EDIT: My mistake.. it seems the directive is in fact coming from Bell, who is enforcing it against its own subscribers as well:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...NO-MORE!!!-%28
    Last edited by Paleozord; 04-08-2014 at 11:35 AM.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    I definitely would have received the message had they sent it. They did not send it on the daily plan.

Currently I still have "per day Unlimited Internet Browser" listed in Self Serve. I think we can assume it will cease to function as unlimited but I would really like to know what will replace it on the daily plan. Daily charge with a monthly cap? Or maybe 30 MB daily? 50 MB daily

EDIT: OK, I phoned PC Mobile prepaid without giving the number for my line and asked this. The CSR was familiar with the change to 1 GB/month for $10/month UMB accounts. I asked him what happens with the 25˘/day UMB accounts and he said - at the moment, those accounts aren't affected by the change. Yet. It sounds like he expected that would change too, but there is just no decision on it yet.

Device(s)
    IR GS BL00D Phone X N0 B.efore C.hrist E.ntity.. |nfinite HELLUS™ TnT $pawn + Ted§ Hell Hound TˇTher
    Carrier(s)
    M¤ther Nature !... @SS2MOUTH Death 0f SELFie -> HardWare Opiates
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Just suspicions but similarities are that Telus aquired Public and now mandating 1gig rather than previously Unlimited Bruising.
    PC postpaid is on Telus so it may be possible that PC prepaid may have moved to Telus also.
    Rumour has it that Bells MB and Sask plans roaming on Telus no longer available.

Truth is Bell has been Leeching Off Telus for too long while fiddling with Wireless TV and Business TV.
    I would hazard a guess backed by wishful thinking that the Honeymoon is about To End between Telus and Bell.
    With the new changes in wireless roaming Bell is at a loss and Telus hardly needs them. Rogers has all the partners they need across country and Bell is the Smallest of the Pig3 Wireless. . What Canadien doesnt Love a "FAIR" fight?
    Couldn't happen to a nicer Company.

One can still dream in this country?

Good Luck Guys finding affordable longterm Access to information.com
    Last edited by TelecomZombie; 04-09-2014 at 02:14 AM.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TelecomZombie View Post
    PC postpaid is on Telus so it may be possible that PC prepaid may have moved to Telus also.
    Well they can't move existing customers without replacing our SIMs, as the cards currently have Bell's MCC/MNC code.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast