Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: PC Mobile Unlimited Data CANCELED/REVOKED as of May 21, 2014 - DO panic

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cmstlist View Post
    EDIT: OK, I phoned PC Mobile prepaid without giving the number for my line and asked this. The CSR was familiar with the change to 1 GB/month for $10/month UMB accounts. I asked him what happens with the 25˘/day UMB accounts and he said - at the moment, those accounts aren't affected by the change. Yet. It sounds like he expected that would change too, but there is just no decision on it yet.
    So that explains definitively why none of us Daily folks have received any messages or letters yet, however as you say I imagine it's mostly just a matter of time. Much as I'd love to fantasize that this specific plan variant will remain untouched, if Bell has decided to drop the hammer from above then it will almost certainly mean doom for our incarnation as well... and when it does it will be YOUR fault for phoning in and reminding them of its existence when they'd completely forgotten about it!!! (j/k)

Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    We just need to watch for notification, they only have to give thirty day notice to change whatever.

However, there is one small annoyance though. Let's say you just refill $100. Before getting the notice. And you don't use this for anything except what will be affected. And then there is no refund on prepaid. And for this provider, credit cannot be transferred to other accounts (like wind or mobilicity), so it can be money wasted.

I think to be fair, whatever refill expiration length, they should grandfather all plan and options that are already in account and can only be changed when the refill expires. They should not take a $100. Refill, and then suddenly tell you that from thirty day on, the voice rateis one dollar, sms two dollars etc, and oh, no refund either. Bait and switch? I can't use up that much in thirty days except deliberately wasting it.

via the HoFo App
    No longer on a leash by Fido

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    I have over $100 in my acct from a February top-up. Depending on the terms of the new deal I would either consume the funds at the new rates or use SMS donation to give the money to charity. If charity is "deliberately wasting" I suppose the funds are unrecoverable. But at least you get the satisfaction that some worthy cause gets your money instead of the phone company.

Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Good idea,I thoroughly forgot about sms charity.

via the HoFo App

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    And don't forget Mobile Giving Foundation can issue you a tax receipt for the sum total of donations.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    No new updates from others on this or RFD forums, esp pertaining to the daily plan. One of my lines was expiring so I just topped up for 30 days for now, to wait for May 21 to see what is going to happen then:

1. Announcement regarding daily plan by May 21. Will it be merged w/ monthly plan? (most likely offer I guess). Removed completely and no other offers? Offered same rate (0.25/day) but w/ a daily allowance such as 33.33MB / day?

2. No announcements, but loophole blocked so only mobile browser can work on dumb phones, for example. (which might or might not affect the new monthly plan used to replace the old one also)

3. Announcement such as 1, but loophole blocked such as 2, combined.

Nobody has suggested that the new 1GB plan still has the loophole (i.e. wide open). As it is a new provisioned plan, it might not be. They could plug it, and if that's the case, even 1GB as seemingly not a bad deal, would be, if it's locked to a dumbphone's mobile browser only. (or at least really not that great, it depends on how you value things).

Can't wait for another month to find out, at least from those affected monthly users, to see the result, if daily plan users do not have announcements received by then.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortissimo View Post
    No new updates from others on this or RFD forums, esp pertaining to the daily plan. One of my lines was expiring so I just topped up for 30 days for now, to wait for May 21 to see what is going to happen then:

1. Announcement regarding daily plan by May 21. Will it be merged w/ monthly plan? (most likely offer I guess). Removed completely and no other offers? Offered same rate (0.25/day) but w/ a daily allowance such as 33.33MB / day?

2. No announcements, but loophole blocked so only mobile browser can work on dumb phones, for example. (which might or might not affect the new monthly plan used to replace the old one also)

3. Announcement such as 1, but loophole blocked such as 2, combined.

Nobody has suggested that the new 1GB plan still has the loophole (i.e. wide open). As it is a new provisioned plan, it might not be. They could plug it, and if that's the case, even 1GB as seemingly not a bad deal, would be, if it's locked to a dumbphone's mobile browser only. (or at least really not that great, it depends on how you value things).

Can't wait for another month to find out, at least from those affected monthly users, to see the result, if daily plan users do not have announcements received by then.
    Fortunately my cross-country move is happening before May 21 so I can milk this for all it's worth while on the road.

Adding device blocking seems incredibly unlikely. It's not the kind of thing you go back and do to a legacy plan years after the fact, when the system does not do any other device blocking for any other accounts. Seems like more work than they would actually care to do.

Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You are right, they prob wouldn't bother to go back and block an existing plan. However, if they force customers to switch to a new plan, e.g. a 1GB plan w/ overage, they might be able to toss in a restriction. The APN was not supposed to be wide open in the first place, that was a simple mistake. Rogers used to use IMEI filtering for their unlimited mobile browser plan (so one must buy their own limited choices mid range semi-smart phones, or lower). I recalled that PC Mobile reps asked for IMEI numbers and some numbers were refused. So they had some kind of IMEI filter already, just not working very well. Now if they narrow down that list, they could in theory limit their mobile browser plans to only certain PC Mobile sold devices, for example.

Feedback Score
    So whats the good news?

so they must give 30 days text message notice?

people need to top up, I guess $25?

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    Well it's the 22nd and my Self Serve page still says "per day Unlimited Internet Browser".

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    A friend has used it today (and every other days before) on the daily plan and he said he didn't notice anything unusual or different about it. I haven't used mine for a while.

I do have one hypothetical question though: if they want to implement a 1GB / month bucket for the daily plan, how would that work? Because that would mean some artificial and arbitrary billing cycle date must be set as the beginning and ending of such 1GB allotment or else there would be ambiguity for argument.

I guess if they would have to make changes, it'd be either force the daily plan accounts onto monthly ones, or on a less useful offer (for users), to set something like a 50MB/day instead. But that would be bad for burst type of users, and is rather unusual as there have been very few voice plans based on daily use, or data for that matter.

I looked at their website and I noticed that the 1GB plan has a notification feature using SMS when usage reaches 90%. I didn't notice that on that page before so may be they added it since I read it last (or my memory isn't good enough and it was already there before). So at least even under 1GB plan it isn't too bad if you are using a phone that you can see the SMS easily. If you use a modem or a hotspot device then it is harder to check the SMS. (Ironically there is no forwarding setting for SMS ever).

One poster on RedFlagDeals (OP's link) also said he (more his family member) has used it, about 30MB and seems working fine (daily plan I think).

But I also would like to hear from the monthly users and see if they can confirm that their plans have moved over, and if they can still use it on "normal internet" access, despite now limited to a bucket amount.

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus, POSH Micro X S240
    Carrier(s)
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have never even been able to find the self-serve page!

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Brantford View Post
    I have never even been able to find the self-serve page!
    Visit bell.mobi in the browser, scroll down, click Self Serve.

If you're logged in via wi-fi, and possibly if you're not using the web proxy, it may prompt you for a verification text message.

Also the Bell self serve app accomplishes the same thing.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have used my Daily version and transferred a few gigabytes over the last couple of days as well, without anything unusual or alarming popping up. There's definitely no 30MB per day limit or 1GB per month limit in place currently, since I used at least two gigs on one specific day, well after the 21st. For now nothing has changed it seems, but who knows how long that will last..

Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Good to know, thanks for all the reports

via the HoFo App

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast