Thread: Testing a Lumina 925 and wishing for Symbian to come back

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score

Thumbs down Testing a Lumina 925 and wishing for Symbian to come back

I was excited to get one of the T-Mobile flagged, Nokia Lumina 925s that NewEgg was selling for $225. So far it's been big disappointment. With both the iPhone 3S and Moto G I've used, I never found myself wishing to be able to go back to Symbian. WinP8 and the Lumina 925 really make me look back to Symbian with fondness. It's been less than 24 hours and I know that's not a good test but, so far, this is the most crippled, brain-dead phone I've ever used. I thought that it was bad how Android "married" me to Google and iOS "married" me to Apple. WinP 8 puts me in a straight jacket and throws me in a padded cell. Not only will the phone not do anything I need, I can't find apps that do anything I need. The WP8 ecosystem seems terribly sparse by modern standards.

T-Mobile appears to have removed what very limited forwarding control the phone had, so now I have to remember "hash codes" again. When I search for "forward" in the apps, I find nothing that will set the phone forwarding details. (There are many such apps for Android. It was build into Symbian.)

I installed LinPhone thinking it would be a good SIP client. It implements exactly one SIP account and has to run in the foreground. #Fail. I'm trying Zoiper but have not been able to get it to register on any SIP accounts. They also seem to need to run in the foreground but at least explain that WinP8 "doesn't allow apps to run in the background". I can't believe it. #Fail

Neither Firefox nor Opera are available for WP8?

The stock IMAP client always starts in the Inbox, you can't tell it which to folder to start in. #Fail

Skype client requires I use an e-mail address as my ID? The Skype client on my PC doesn't require that.

Is there a way to side-load apps on WinP8? Not that I've seen.

Is there a PPTP VPN client? Not that I've found?

I know it's been only a short test but so far, it's been a pretty negative experience. Maybe I'll figure out how to make this dog hunt but it doesn't look good.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    NOKIA Lumia 1520, NOKIA Lumia 920 (wife's phone, NOW)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I was excited to get one of the T-Mobile flagged, Nokia Lumina 925s that NewEgg was selling for $225. So far it's been big disappointment. With both the iPhone 3S and Moto G I've used, I never found myself wishing to be able to go back to Symbian. WinP8 and the Lumina 925 really make me look back to Symbian with fondness. It's been less than 24 hours and I know that's not a good test but, so far, this is the most crippled, brain-dead phone I've ever used. I thought that it was bad how Android "married" me to Google and iOS "married" me to Apple. WinP 8 puts me in a straight jacket and throws me in a padded cell. Not only will the phone not do anything I need, I can't find apps that do anything I need. The WP8 ecosystem seems terribly sparse by modern standards.

T-Mobile appears to have removed what very limited forwarding control the phone had, so now I have to remember "hash codes" again. When I search for "forward" in the apps, I find nothing that will set the phone forwarding details. (There are many such apps for Android. It was build into Symbian.)
    Check SETTINGS >> Applications >> Phone for call fwd'ing

I installed LinPhone thinking it would be a good SIP client. It implements exactly one SIP account and has to run in the foreground. #Fail. I'm trying Zoiper but have not been able to get it to register on any SIP accounts. They also seem to need to run in the foreground but at least explain that WinP8 "doesn't allow apps to run in the background". I can't believe it. #Fail
    Check SETTINGS >> Applications >> Background TASKS to allow background (though T-Mob has their own WiFi calling)

Neither Firefox nor Opera are available for WP8?
    CORRECT, not yet ...

The stock IMAP client always starts in the Inbox, you can't tell it which to folder to start in. #Fail

Skype client requires I use an e-mail address as my ID? The Skype client on my PC doesn't require that.
    ??

Is there a way to side-load apps on WinP8? Not that I've seen.
    CORRECT - no sideload

Is there a PPTP VPN client? Not that I've found?

I know it's been only a short test but so far, it's been a pretty negative experience. Maybe I'll figure out how to make this dog hunt but it doesn't look good.
    Some of the issues are addressed (bold) ...

... in addition, lack of storage (16gb onboard, NO microSD) will eventually annoy you.
    I had the Lumia 920 w 32gb, NO microSD (handed down to wife), currently Lumia 1520 w 16gb & microSD (support up to 128gb card). The pending new release (WinPhone 8.1) will bring some changes & possibly more openness

On your NU phone, D/L SysAppPusher & run it. This will verify you have current versions of Nokia & Microsoft software installed, & indicate which Apps / Settings need to be updated. You should also have Nokia Lumia Black installed, else run SETTINGS >> PHONE UPDATE to get the latest version.

BTW - if you get a VPN client to work, I may tap your experience, I was looking @ that, also ...
    informed/intelligent comments are welcome ... BS - not so much ...

peace,
    ROK

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    OK. Thanks!

1. Call forwarding. Thanks for showing me that. Actually, I missed that whole "applications" menu, which is where 50% of the problem came from. They still have only one forwarding setting? GSM has four! What happened to the rest?
    2. Background tasks: Both Linphone and Zoiper are shown as running in the background. So, what I read about background apps was incorrect.
    3. Firefox/Opera:
    4. Side-loading:
    5. VPN:

Add to my list that I can't find a way to add a SIP: address to my phone book. Heck! This was a built-in feature of Symbian. Can't the address book be extended? I still can't get Zoiper to connect to Pbxes. It's rated as one of the better VoIP apps.

Thanks for all the good advice.

Device(s)
    NOKIA Lumia 1520, NOKIA Lumia 920 (wife's phone, NOW)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Donald,

I hear the frustration ... in your case, some specialized use cases (most people just talk, text, & browse the web - they don't even know what a VPN is) - try UC Browser, in lieu of Internet Explorer. Checkout Weave newsreader (FREE version), I get my breaking WinPhone info from there & Twitter ... and SysAppPusher has proven invaluable, in staying up to date.

It is rather locked down probably in the name of security ... but it does what I need (right now). People trash WinPhone, but when they try it, find it refreshingly simple to operate (as opposed to Android, which you appear to be somewhat familiar with). Some of the functionality comes with Login / Registration to certain apps, they then integrate into the system.

YES, Symbian (old Nokia E71 & Nokia N8) had certain features I def miss - Profile Manager for one (it was an app) that worked famously. Some of your issues will be resolved with the release of WinPhone 8.1 (codenamed BLUE) followed by a Nokia Lumia update (also BLUE). Curious to see the update, should have it within a couple of weeks (though rumor has it the DEV version has been delayed by bug fixes - I'm a registered DEV)

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ROKstrr View Post
    Some of your issues will be resolved with the release of WinPhone 8.1 (codenamed BLUE) followed by a Nokia Lumia update (also BLUE). Curious to see the update, should have it within a couple of weeks (though rumor has it the DEV version has been delayed by bug fixes - I'm a registered DEV)
    WP8.1, for the Lumia 925, or just available to manufacturers in general? Would seem odd to have it soon after the Black update.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I figured out what I needed to do to get Zoiper to call a SIP: address. There's a page that controls the number rewriting for international formatting. On this page there's a list of characters that get stripped from dial strings. By default decimal "." and at "@" are stripped out. You have to remove at least these from the stripping list.