Thread: Samsung S5-specific questions

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S5 (VZW), iPad 4 (1GB plan on T-Mobile)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Samsung S5-specific questions

Hi everyone.

I used Target's $99 trade in deal (trade in a smartphone, get the Samsung S5 for $99 with new contract) and so far, I'm loving this phone. It's great.

However, I've run into a couple little issues, maybe you guys can help.

1.) To save battery life, I've always used a 4G toggle with my phone to turn off 4G and just be on 3G when I want to really maximize my battery. I'm having trouble finding a 4G toggle switch that works with my Samsung S5. Any ideas?

2.) I use an app called aFirewall to block calls/messages. It's a great app if you have annoying spam calls or pesky exes that you don't want calling OR texting you. However, when I installed this app on my new phone and went to fire it up, I was informed that KitKat has limitations so that in order to block messages, I MUST make aFirewall my default texting app. I would have to send/receive all of my messages through that app in order for message blocking to work.

Any way around this?

Thanks for the help!

Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T PrePaid (GoPhone)
    Feedback Score
    For #1, there is a way to toggle 4G and networks on the S4 and Note 3, but you have to be rooted. My guess is the same will be true with the S5, that it will need to be rooted first. Then you have to use Root Explorer and do a file edit in efs/carrier/hiddenmenu. Then open the dial pad and input a special code to get to the network menu.
    =>Why did I leave Verizon Wireless after 18 years? Find out here: Leaving Verizon after 18 years!

=> Read my reviews for the Motorola DROID MAXX, DROID Ultra, and DROID Mini.

=> VX8000 at Disney World:Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Wow, darn. I had no idea you had to root on the S4 and the Note 3 in order to toggle 4G. I had a little widget on my Razr that did the trick. Hmm. I am not currently rooted but I'm considering it and I'll be looking into this. Thanks!

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    These modern phones are much more energy efficient than they used to be. They automatically go into low power mode when idle. My guess is that there wouldn't be much of a difference in battery life by turning off 4G.

KitKat is a little different when it comes to 3rd party SMS apps. There are some apps, however, that will do what you want and still let you use the SMS app that came with your phone. An example of this would be this program from NQ:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...=com.netqin.ps

I'm not sure if this will do everything you want it to, but it gives you an idea of the type of programs that are out there. Hope this helps.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Bumping this. Anyone found a way to disable the 4G? I really think it is draining it a bit. I moved into a new place and coverage is okay but 4G is a bit spotty and it drops. It's not good on my battery. I'd rather just have 3G and turn 4G until I need it. Thoughts?

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The only way to do it EASILY is with root, but as its been said, phones are more efficient than they used to be. Set screen brightness to auto, and use the power saving toggle, its gonna accomplish the same thing. If you check your battery usage you'll see the screen is what's eating your battery, not your connection.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T PrePaid (GoPhone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
    These modern phones are much more energy efficient than they used to be. They automatically go into low power mode when idle. My guess is that there wouldn't be much of a difference in battery life by turning off 4G.

KitKat is a little different when it comes to 3rd party SMS apps. There are some apps, however, that will do what you want and still let you use the SMS app that came with your phone. An example of this would be this program from NQ:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...=com.netqin.ps

I'm not sure if this will do everything you want it to, but it gives you an idea of the type of programs that are out there. Hope this helps.
    If you check on the XDA forum, there is now a root method called Towel.
    Once its rooted, you could then probably get into the service menu and make the changes to disable 4G.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Towel worked for a while but now it won't work because the kernel was updated on recent Samsung S5 ota updates, which renders Towel useless for many people.