Thread: Advice on new plan - thanks in advance

Device(s)
    Blackberry Pearl
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

Advice on new plan - thanks in advance

Hi all,

Just finishing up a three-year plan with Rogers, and I'm pretty happy with my current plan to date, so I'm hoping Rogers will just let me keep going with it as-is. However, there's always room to improve. Currently, it's my combination work/personal line, and I get a stipend from my work that pays for $75/mo.

The only thing I ever get dinged on is data when I travel to the US and forget to turn off my data radio, or when someone sends me an MMS (u/l text messages, but I still get charged 50 cents a picture). Otherwise, I don't see any surprise overages.

Looking at upgrading from my Galaxy S2 to either the Galaxy S5 or the HTC One M8 this time around.

My current plan looks like this - if anyone knows of any current promos that could make this plan better, I'd be most grateful:

Unlimited voice and text plan (includes u/l CDN and US text messages) $45
    LTE-ready 6 GB data ($30/mo - $5 data discount = $25 total)
    Unlimited US LD $10/mo
    - $10 monthly fee discount
    Unlimited CDN LD $10/mo
    Enhanced Voicemail $8/mo
    - $8 monthly fee discount
    - 12% off Better Choice Bundles
    Govt regulatory recovery fee $2.13
    ------------
    $83.89
    +
    HST
    --------
    $94.80

Thanks in advance!

Feedback Score
    How much data do you usually use up in a month?

Device(s)
    Blackberry Pearl
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Usually between 2.5-3.5 GB / month. At the time I agreed to this plan, the only data plans were 1 GB/month for $25, or 6 GB/month for $30 which was a promo that I've seen many people since advise never to get rid of because it won't be brought back.

Never hit 6 GBs ever, but it's nice to know that ceiling is there. Pretty much feels like I have unlimited data at this point.

Feedback Score
    If you were using under 2GB, a switch to Fido/Koodo/Virgin would have been a clear choice.

I am not sure how far you are willing to go to get a deal, but here is a thread, which may be of interest to you: http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...odo-sk-mb-plan

Have you considered going off contract, and picking up either a last year's phone model outright, or purchasing a Nexus 5 directly from Google (which comes unlocked)? Going off contract will leave you very flexible in terms of changing plans or picking up promo plans at any time from any provider.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Pearl
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Well, just like every retentions call I've ever been on, it's all about who you get on the line.

To me, I'd think that when a customer calls in about a product, says they're completely happy with what they have and what they pay for it, and that they just want to re-up at the same pricing for another 2 year contract, that'd be a slam-dunk call for a service provider. Apparently not - at least, not at first.

After suffering through the entry-level woman who told me she didn't think there was any chance of retaining any discounts, then a middle-tier guy who sounded befuddled as to why I had been forwarded to him, I finally got to a stellar CSR that took care of me.

Ended up with (even though these elements all state that they're 'shared,' it's all just for me alone):

Welcome Back Plan

* Unlimited Shared Minutes
    * Unlimited Eve & Wknd Minutes

Included with My Plan

* Billed Usage-Invoice Details
    * Between Us Calling
    * LTE 6GB Shared Internet
    * US GPRS $0.006
    * Unltd Shared Canadian LD Mins
    * Unltd Shared Text/Pic/Video
    * Call Forwarding/Call Transfer
    * Call Display

$85/mo

+

Unlimited US LD $15/mo

Plus a $10 discount, another $5 discount, and 12% off for Better Choice Bundles.
    Ends up being $74.80 before taxes, plus no 911 SAF or gov't fees (which I've been paying up till now)

So for about $10 less/month before taxes, I have all the same features I currently have now under my old plan, plus picture messaging (which my old plan didn't include and was always dinging me 50 cents every time I got texted a picture).

I am quite happy. Just need to pick out a new phone now . Thanks HoFO for all your retention help/guidance over the years!