Thread: Roam Mobility's Data Speeds in NYC

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score

Post Roam Mobility's Data Speeds in NYC

I spent Easter weekend with my better half in New York City, with mobile connectivity for the both of us provided by Roam Mobility.

It's not the only option for travellers to the USA, but it seemed the best-suited for us. We're both on Koodo monthly plans here in Canada, so neither Rogers' 50MB data roaming package for $7.99/day nor WIND's new $39/month plan with US data roaming included would do. And since I'm not really on-board with KnowRoaming attaching a parasitic host to our SIM cards, Roam Mobility got the nod.

$3.95 CAD per day for 100—wait, 300 MB of data seemed reasonable enough.

Name:  roam-01-best.png
Views: 654
Size:  882.2 KB

This is the best result I got over the entire weekend, from an early-morning test Saturday in our mid-town hotel room. It's hardly "blazing fast 4G data" as Roam Mobility advertises; despite having an LTE-compatible Nexus 5 I was stuck on HSPA for the entire trip.

And there's more to the story than just this screen grab...

Name:  roam-02-bad.png
Views: 608
Size:  666.8 KB

On the first day of our trip data speeds were downright horrible. Of the five test results you see above, the first two are from Newark International Airport, the third and fifth from our mid-town hotel and the fourth from a restaurant in Greenwich Village.

I should also mention that setting up our phones for Roam Mobility's service wasn't quite as easy as with, say, a tourist SIM from PCCW in Hong Kong. I entered Roam's APN from the plane after we landed, and data was available by the time we got through customs.

Name:  roam-03-better.png
Views: 631
Size:  687.4 KB

For whatever reason I got much better results on days 2 and 3. Ping times were still slow but download speeds were much improved. Upload speeds were, for comparison, consistently faster than I ever got with WIND Mobile in downtown Toronto.

Name:  roam-04-t-mobile.png
Views: 620
Size:  512.9 KB

On the subject of comparisons, I borrowed a friend's Nexus 4 to see the kind of data speeds he was getting from T-Mobile. This particular test was done at a hip breakfast joint in Brooklyn; check April 20th at 12:36pm on the previous screen for my own nearly-identical results.

My takeaway from all of this is that New York City is just really congested when it comes to mobile data. With almost 8.5 million residents (plus untold numbers of tourists) and tall buildings everywhere I would almost expect sub-par cellular service as a second-class citizen on someone else's network—probably T-Mobile. Roam Mobility did well enough that I'd probably use it again.

Oh, and if you were wondering there were no issues whatsoever with texting. As for that other thing that mobile phones do, I made use of Roam Mobility's free calls to Canada exactly once, to wish dear old mom a Happy Easter. Call quality sounded fine to me...
    My mobile memoirs — free ebook available here.
    My HoFo feedback... is that still a thing?

Feedback Score
    For anyone reading this article, Onavo Extend helps reduce your data consumption - for free.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Interesting. How so?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Moto X Pure Edition 32GB 2015
    Carrier(s)
    ex Verizon Wireless - Currently: T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Why didn't you just get a prepaid sim from t-mobile or any other prepaid? just wondering

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    I wanted to be up and running right off the plane. That didn't happen, but we at least had service by the time we left the airport.

Also, T-Mobile prepaid SIMs don't offer free calls to Canada, far as I know... ;-)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    well h20 is prepaid on AT&T and they offer intl credit.

It's slow 3g/4g but I know they do give it.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score

Toronto

"Slow 3G/4G", huh? That's honest advertising, at least...

Unfortunately, all else being equal their data rates don't really compare at all... Remember, I only needed service for three days!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Well I just got it for my grandma got her older 3GS she didn't want to spend much $ on a phone and wanted to teach her some technology , did few speed tests 0.01 download / 1.50 mbps upload.

500 MB data and 5$ intl credit with 30$ plan. It's not bad I am speaking from what I saw so far

Feedback Score
    It uses a VPN combined with server side compression and client side caching. All traffic is compressed and images are re-compressed into lower quality versions. Maps, K-9 Mail, BBC news all huge reductions in data usage.

I gave the client side cache a wide birth of 512 MB if it makes a difference.

Device(s)
    IR GS BL00D Phone X N0 B.efore C.hrist E.ntity.. |nfinite HELLUS™ TnT $pawn + Ted§ Hell Hound T¡Ther
    Carrier(s)
    M¤ther Nature !... @SS2MOUTH Death 0f SELFie -> HardWare Opiates
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Shame you didn't try Wind to compare to those NYC Blazing Fast LTE speeds.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score

Toronto

Quote Originally Posted by TelecomZombie View Post
    Shame you didn't try Wind to compare to those NYC Blazing Fast LTE speeds.
    Blame my girlfriend for that; had she spent more time shopping I'd have had more time to swap SIMs.

Device(s)
    Nexus, Streak, 3GS, BB 8800, BB 8310(x2), iPhone, BB 9000
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've been using Roam for a little over a year and find it great. I travel a lot to the US (and frequently to NYC) and it always just works. Yes, the speed in NYC can be a little finicky, but I can always get a connection. I've had better luck with speeds elsewhere in the US. Also, they have really great support. When you call you actually get to talk to a real person - almost right away!
    Recommended for those of you with unlocked phones.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5 | Moto X | Note 2
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

RE why not use a local sim

When we were in Hawaii last year after some research and driving around we found the T-Mobile shop in Kailua on the Big Island and after an in-store activation were happy with the service. The problem is that these pre-paid sims expire after a few months and cannot be reloaded over the internet with a Canadian Visa, although if you go across the border they're happy to take your Visa in-store, as well after expiry the sim cannot be reactivated.

Jump to this year and we're off to Seattle for four days, walk into London Drugs (Vancouver) the day before we leave and pick up a Roam sim, go home and activate it online, add four days of unlimited talk and text including free calling back to Canada and 1.2GB (technically 300MB per day) data for $16. As we train across the border I swap sims and we're online, so easy! As well Roam just needs to be reloaded once a year to remain active.

There is really no comparison imho, the convenience of Roam vs picking up a local sim is far superior.

Cheers,

Rob

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The biggest appeal about Roam, is that you can take care of your roaming before you enter the states. In the past I'd have to scramble to find a T-Mobile or AT&T SIM card AFTER I land. That's not fun.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Yup. And I can remember getting T-Mobile SIMS from Nokia WOM World at SXSW 2011, only to find that they didn't work...