Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Clear wimax will be missed

Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Clear wimax will be missed

I originally signed up for Clear WiMax for several reasons;

- portability. Just plug the usb modem in and you're ready to go.

- no contract required

- truly UNLIMITED. No bandwidth cap.

As far as I can tell there is not another provider that offers anything like what Clear offered. Everyone offering LTE has a 2-5gb bandwidth cap. That's totally unacceptable.

I was using Clear as my primary internet service at home, on my laptop and also using it as a wifi hotspot for my tablets and phone when at home.

I do not want cable based internet. I need the portability. But they all have caps.

How was Clear able to offer truly UNLIMITED service while everyone else cannot?

Any suggestions on a Clear replacement, when Sprint shuts down WiMax?

via the HoFo App

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, H2O, Straight Talk, Net10
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, I'm going to miss it when it's gone, too.
    Nexus 4 on Net10/AT&T
    Samsung Tab S2 SM-T817T on T-Mo

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellphone-guy View Post
    How was Clear able to offer truly UNLIMITED service while everyone else cannot?

Any suggestions on a Clear replacement, when Sprint shuts down WiMax?

via the HoFo App
    Spectrum, Clear had over 120Mhz of spectrum in most markets on the 2.5Ghz band while most carriers only have 20-30Mhz.

And if I'm not mistaken, Sprint will grandfather all Clear plans and will let you convert to an LTE device, so you should still have unlimited data as long as the account is active.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    cricket
    Feedback Score
    When does it 'go'. Currently have a Clearspot here... just curious.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Sprint released official letter stating that, it will shut off the Clear WiMax Network by the end of 2015.
    So Clear will be History, from Sprint, Just like Nextel's iDEN Network was a history now.

But what VisionsDivine is saying that, Sprint will convert all the Clear's Network ot the LTE Plans is one thing which I highly doubt.
    Because, Sprint don't offer any Unlimited Service on any of its, Hotspot Deivces or Data only devices to be precise.

So I don't think, Sprint will offer a Unlimited LTE Device just for Clear Customers. Sprint does offer Unlimited Data on the Mobile devices, but that too for only, browsing, and mobile stuff. If You watch continuously Netflix or Hulu Plus and cross the 100GB mark consistently for 2-3 months, You will be booted out of the Contract with just 1-2 weeks Notice.
    Sprint is very clear on that.

So I highly Doubt if Sprint will ever offer Unlimited LTE to former Clear Customers like us.

FYI. I have the Unlimited iSpot Plan and very happy with the Clear Service.

Device(s)
    Moto G4, Novatel 7730L, ZTE Mobley, StarTAC
    Carrier(s)
    Viaero, Commnet, VZW, AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Clear (now sprint spark) has 120MHz to 180MHz in every market. DOCSIS cable internet has a similar spectrum plan: ~40MHz upstream bandwidth and anywhere from ~200MHz to ~600MHz downstream (per network segment). Strictly speaking clear can compete with cable internet providers.

I see no reason why Sprint cannot offer the same product clearwire does: "unlimited data" on a mobile hotspot. Modern LTE's spectral efficiency is better than Wimax; what's different this time? Less competition.

Carrier(s)
    Ultra/ChitChatMobile/StraightTalk /Harbor/FreedomPop/PagePlus/Lyca/ Uverse 18Mbs data/ Roku/ Moto X
    Feedback Score
    When Softbank bought Sprint, I think SoftBank should have made Clear's management team the new management team for Sprint. I had been grandfathered into 10 gigs per month with FreedomPop on Clear for $10, but a few months ago, I got an email that said the FreedomPop plan was being reduced to 5 gigs per month from 10 gigs (no price change).
    Last edited by roncomatic; 08-09-2014 at 11:24 PM.

Device(s)
    LG V20 and LG G Pad X 8.0
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile One Plan 6+1 lines
    Feedback Score
    Eventually I shut down my Clearwire service soon after got graduated (I mainly used it for school) from the college.
    Started earlier this year, my monthly cost raised to $45 a month, so I think it's time to go (and I don't trust Sprint at all).
    Current I have 6GB (3+3) LTE for sharing with T-Mobile and it's only $10 with my calling plan (and LTE is decent in NYC).

Optimum/Cablevision

Feedback Score
    maybe all us hofo members should get together and start a wireless carrier.

Device(s)
    T-Mobile BlackBerry Priv, VZW AC791L Jetpack, MoFi 4500 SIM4 V. 2 LTE Gateway
    Carrier(s)
    ▪T▪ ▪ ▪Mobile▪, Verizon Wireless, AT&T BLAST! Plan from 4ghsDOTcom
    Feedback Score

Exclamation

As far as I can tell there is not another provider that offers anything like what Clear offered. Everyone offering LTE has a 2-5gb bandwidth cap. That's totally unacceptable.

I was using Clear as my primary internet service at home, on my laptop and also using it as a wifi hotspot for my tablets and phone when at home.
    I'm in the same boat you're in, with one major exception. I've done more homework than you have, apparently. It IS possible for "power users" using wireless broadband as their main internet connection to get more than the 5-10 GB of usage a month that most carriers offer, you just have to really do your homework to find those options. It's been my experience over 5 years of being a "power user" on mobile broadband networks that the vast majority of carriers don't WANT us to know that they have options for people that want to use mobile broadband as a main internet connection. They seem to really only want "business users" to know those options exist. They typically look at members of the general public that want this option as a bunch of leaches that want to suck too much bandwidth off of the network and drag the experience down for everyone else.

Firstly, at&t and Verizon have both started offering 4G LTE home internet service, with a home/office modem similar to the devices Clear offered, with plans offering as much as 30 GB of usage a month (which is sufficient for my needs, Your Mileage May Vary.) The problem is COST. To get 20 GB on Verizon, I believe I was quoted $90 a month, and $120 a month for 30 GB, but don't quote me on that, this was in December or January when I was experiencing a lengthy outage on Wi-Max at my house as Sprint "upgraded" the equipment on their towers in the roll-out of LTE (although at my address, it ended up DOWNGRADING my Wi-Max speed due to shorter range on the new Wi-Max equipment they were putting up. )

We won't bother talking about at&t's offerings, as they're TWICE as costly as Verizon's. Not even worthy of consideration by any sane person.

I'm also a T-Mobile subscriber and my phone can be used as an HSPA+ 4G hotspot. Using my phone in that capacity, I can add up to 20.5 GB of shared data a month to use it as a hotspot, last time I checked. Again, it would cost me twice what I pay Clear for truly unlimited data. Or I can get a separate mobile hotspot that runs on both LTE and HSPA+ and give it up to 20.5 GB of usage at full speed, then throttled speeds until the end of the monthly billing cycle if I go over. Again, this was back around new year's, so I'm not sure what the even newer plans offer. But the moment, T-Mobile's the option I'm planning to go with IF Sprint doesn't offer me the same service I have now, at the same price, on an LTE device, or at the very least something that's compellingly competitive in terms of price.

Thing is, though, I actually have 2 clear devices. I have one "Clear Hub" home modem w/ wi-fi router, and one mobile USB modem of the old 4G+ type that can use 3G as a fallback when 4G's unavailable. This has made sure I still had internet during lengthy outages of the Wi-Max service. So really, Sprint will have to replace/upgrade 2 devices. The other options would leave me paying what I pay now for only 1 device with LESS usage.

With both at&t and Verizon dipping their toes into the waters that used to be Clear's domain alone, Sprint's going to have to do something to stay competitive and they need to announce their plans sooner, rather than later. Those of us that have stuck with the allegedly "unprofitable" Wi-Max network through thick & thin deserve to know what Sprint's going to offer us so we have plenty of time to make alternative arrangements if we don't like Sprint's offering.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I live in the Greater Washington, DC/Baltimore Metro Area, so my market may have options available that might not be available yet where you live, if you're in a different market. So, as always, YMMV.
    Photobucket's policy changes SUCK!

New signature coming soon-ish...

Feedback Score
    You guys should see if there are any local WiSP's in your area. There is one here that is $99/mo for 10-20mbit down/up and 250gb/month. They have lower plans also, and use one of the ISM bands. I have strongly considered supporting them over uverse despite being more expensive because they are a local company.

Here's their link http://skyrunner.net/wordpress/resid...ntial-pricing/

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    I have read through the other posts and am really confused...I hope someone can help me! I have Clear currently for both home phone and home internet. I read hear the Clear will soon be a non-option, which doesn't surprise me. I am ready to do something different about my home phone (like OOMA) anyway, but need home internet. Is it not possible to get a reasonable price for home internet? thanks!

Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Robynsus View Post
    I have read through the other posts and am really confused...I hope someone can help me! I have Clear currently for both home phone and home internet. I read hear the Clear will soon be a non-option, which doesn't surprise me. I am ready to do something different about my home phone (like OOMA) anyway, but need home internet. Is it not possible to get a reasonable price for home internet? thanks!
    There really isn't a comparable alternative if you ask me. Clear served a very unique market. Portable 4G with no caps and no contract required. I really don't know how they managed to fail.

All similar options only offer about 5gb of data. NetZero 4G offers up to 12gb (but they also use the sprint network).

I guess I will have to get DSL or CABLE but I really didn't want to.

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    Thanks! For me, I am fine with a slower speed ( I don't even know what all the different ones mean). It doesn't need to be portable, but supporting at least 2 devices would be good. Unlimited is probably important, but really I have no idea what my usage is...we don't do gaming and things like that, but are on the internet/e-mail a lot, as well as downloading/uploading/sending photos.

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

There really isn't a comparable alternative if you ask me. Clear served a very unique market. Portable 4G with no caps and no contract required. I really don't know how they managed to fail.

All similar options only offer about 5gb of data. NetZero 4G offers up to 12gb (but they also use the sprint network).

I guess I will have to get DSL or CABLE but I really didn't want to.

via the HoFo App
    They managed to fail because the coverage was really, truly horrible... That's the main reason.

Had Clear built out a network of 80-100,000 towers, they probably would have been successful... But they didn't, and it was a pipe dream for it to turn out any other way. They also never really succeeded in getting their 'partners' Intel and Broadcom to put WiMax in everything that had wifi...

N

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast