Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Clear wimax will be missed

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    'Leaked newsletter shows Sprint will shut down WiMax network on Nov. 6, 2015'

http://www.androidcentral.com/leaked...ork-nov-6-2015

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Well at least there are plenty of Verizon udp floating around so for 45 a month unlimited verizon lte

Carrier(s)
    Ultra/ChitChatMobile/StraightTalk /Harbor/FreedomPop/PagePlus/Lyca/ Uverse 18Mbs data/ Roku/ Moto X
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by roncomatic View Post
    When Softbank bought Sprint, I think SoftBank should have made Clear's management team the new management team for Sprint. I had been grandfathered into 10 gigs per month with FreedomPop on Clear for $10, but a few months ago, I got an email that said the FreedomPop plan was being reduced to 5 gigs per month from 10 gigs (no price change).
    Oh well, now we have a price change. I received an email a few days ago saying FreedomPop has had to grandfather out my WiMax broadband plan yet a second time due to their contract with Sprint I guess, and so the price is increasing by 20 percent, from $9.99 to $11.99 (let's say $12). So first a few months ago, Sprint forced FreedomPop's hand to reduce the home wifi-router/modem plan from 10 gigs per month to 5 gigs, and now last week the price has gone up from $10 to $12, for the fewer 5 gigs.

Gotta wonder if Sprint under SoftBank will succeed. Everybody's been lowering prices, but Sprint raising for some plans--WiMax of all things. Instead of SoftBank, maybe it would have been better if Clear had bought Sprint. Clear knew how to run and grow a business. I hope SoftBank succeeds with Sprint but for some reason, Softbank-Sprint keeps grandfathering out my plan--twice now, ever since the buy-out. So I think it must be more Softbank's doing than Sprint's.

Of course, WiMax will be ending operations November 6, 2015, but is it really a good idea to keep raising prices and lowering bandwidth until then? I usually use just 2 or 3 gigs a month, but still don't like seeing the bandwidth cut in half from 10 to 5 gigs and then, later, raising prices from $10 to 12. Not a good omen.
    Last edited by roncomatic; 11-11-2014 at 09:41 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE, Cricket LG Risio 2(x2)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by roncomatic View Post
    Oh well, now we have a price change. I received an email a few days ago saying FreedomPop has had to grandfather out my WiMax broadband plan yet a second time due to their contract with Sprint I guess, and so the price is increasing by 20 percent, from $9.99 to $11.99 (let's say $12). So first a few months ago, Sprint forced FreedomPop's hand to reduce the home wifi-router/modem plan from 10 gigs per month to 5 gigs, and now last week the price has gone up from $10 to $12, for the fewer 5 gigs.

Gotta wonder if Sprint under SoftBank will succeed. Everybody's been lowering prices, but Sprint raising for some plans--WiMax of all things. Instead of SoftBank, maybe it would have been better if Clear had bought Sprint. Clear knew how to run and grow a business. I hope SoftBank succeeds with Sprint but for some reason, Softbank-Sprint keeps grandfathering out my plan--twice now, ever since the buy-out. So I think it must be more Softbank's doing than Sprint's.

Of course, WiMax will be ending operations November 6, 2015, but is it really a good idea to keep raising prices and lowering bandwidth until then? I usually use just 2 or 3 gigs a month, but still don't like seeing the bandwidth cut in half from 10 to 5 gigs and then, later, raising prices from $10 to 12. Not a good omen.
    What I think is, sprint is lowering plans and raising prices due to the network they have and how many complaints are their for it. Plus since clear is going soon(next year) I don't really think Sprint cares about the Clear side but instead cares about their own side.
    Home Entertainment: Comcast Blast Pro 200mbps internet(Xfinity XB3 Arris TG1682G 24x8 Docsis 3.0 modem, IPv6 enabled), Xfinity Digital Preferred TV(Tivo Bolt(Main DVR)/Tivo Mini(Bedroom), Xfinity Voice EMTA XB3 with Voice Unlimited.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Space Grey 128GB
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenatek View Post
    maybe all us hofo members should get together and start a wireless carrier.
    I've always wanted to start my own wireless carrier or even just a WISP....but as we all know spectrum is soooo expensive...back when WiMAX was big 2.5GHz was viewed as more of like an extended WiFi band for serious WISP operators...now its just another expensive chunk of spectrum for LTE....WiMAX for me was always distinctly different than cellular data, even though its so similar to TD-LTE I always viewed it as a WISP operator thing only. If I wanted to start my own WISP I would look to the 900MHz band, its not allot of spectrum but its got good range. Theoretically you could run GSM/UMTS/LTE on the 900MHz ISM band in the US, you'd only be able to fit a 5MHz carrier in there but its possible....I just don't know how much it would cost to obtain an actual UMTS or LTE base station....at Burning man in I believe '11 and '09 it was they ran GSM using OpenBTS, all the patents are expired for very basic GSM so it was cheap...they ended up renting licensed spectrum in the 850 and 1800MHz bands IIRC as it was just a few days....WiMAX seams like it would be easy to acquire vs LTE equipment...anyone want to chime in?!
    -I use http://www.wirelessadvisor.com/ to find out which providers own which licenses based on ZIP code in the US. Not a direct indicator of service but helps.
    -Radio on the Computer: http://specmap.sequence-omega.net/ an awesome map of the US that shows spectrum holdings of providers in a visual sense. Check it out!

Device(s)
    T-Mobile BlackBerry Priv, VZW AC791L Jetpack, MoFi 4500 SIM4 V. 2 LTE Gateway
    Carrier(s)
    ▪T▪ ▪ ▪Mobile▪, Verizon Wireless, AT&T BLAST! Plan from 4ghsDOTcom
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus7 View Post
    Well at least there are plenty of Verizon udp floating around so for 45 a month unlimited verizon lte
    What is "Verizon UDP"?!? If I could have Verizon LTE with truly UNLIMITED usage for $45 a month, I'd jump on that in a New York Minute!
    Photobucket's policy changes SUCK!

New signature coming soon-ish...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2