Thread: Snapfon's ezTWO: A Better Cell for Seniors

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score

Post Snapfon's ezTWO: A Better Cell for Seniors

Name:  snapfon-01-box.jpg
Views: 2043
Size:  88.2 KB

Remember last Christmas when I got my 88 years-young, stroke-surviving mother her first cell phone? That didn't turn out so well... She only really ever used it when her landline went down and now, with her carrier Public Mobile being assimilated into TELUS, her handset is set to become a doorstop sometime this month.

But thanks to Howard, the good folks at Snapfon and some helpful advice from fellow forum members she was surprised this past Mother's Day with a fairly substantial handset upgrade.

Let's have a look.

Name:  snapfon-02-contents.jpg
Views: 1863
Size:  85.7 KB

Right out of the box the Snapfon ezTWO is an immediate improvement over whatever my mom was using before. The high-contrast screen is super-easy to read, even in bright sunlight. The number keys are separated and have a good feel. It even charges via micro USB, like every phone should. Sorry, Apple fans....

Name:  snapfon-03-back.jpg
Views: 1852
Size:  90.5 KB

The ezTWO ships with a 1000mAh removable battery. Amazingly, it kept the phone up and running for almost a month in standby mode—that's how long I've been waiting to re-gift it to dear old mom. Underneath the battery you'll find a slot for a mini SIM and another for a micro SD card, to store photos from that VGA fixed-focus camera. The less we talk about the camera, the better.

The speaker phone is clear but could be louder; for old people such things could always be louder, I guess. The SOS button can be programmed to call and/or text any number, or multiple numbers. It can also serve as an alarm:

I'm hesitant to teach my mom this particular feature as she'd probably use it as a pager for her caregivers; they'd hate me for that!

Name:  snapfon-04-top.jpg
Views: 1838
Size:  31.1 KB

At the top of the handset there's a loop for a lanyard/wrist strap and a not-at-all-bad torch.

Name:  snapfon-05-bottom.jpg
Views: 1825
Size:  37.5 KB

At the bottom is a headphone jack (mmkay), micro USB slot and what appear to be charging plates for a cradle. Snapfon does indeed sell a charging cradle for this phone; too bad it's not included in the box—biddies love charging cradles...

Name:  snapfon-06-right.jpg
Views: 1878
Size:  47.0 KB

On the right side of the ezTWO you'll find a toggle for the torch and another to lock the keypad. Not sure I see the value of the latter for an elderly person.

Name:  snapfon-07-left.jpg
Views: 1805
Size:  35.6 KB

On the left side of the ezTWO you'll find a volume rocker and a shutter button for the camera—which won't actually launch the camera, just capture an image. And if you really want to see a camera sample from the ezTWO, prepare to be underwhelmed:

Name:  snapfone-08-camera.jpg
Views: 1787
Size:  104.4 KB

If you reside in the USA the ezTWO is made even more compelling by service plans that you can buy with the phone. Prices range from $15 to $55 USD per month and at the high end include an SOS monitoring service, very much like the Lifeline system that my mom currently uses.

Unfortunately these plans aren't available to Canadians. But we can at least purchase an ezTWO unlocked for $99 CAD from Frontier Computing. It goes great with a prepaid SIM from Speakout Wireless—even if my dear old mom will probably only ever use it as a clock.
    My mobile memoirs — free ebook available here.
    My HoFo feedback... is that still a thing?

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    will it work on telus? my grandma needs a new phone as she still has a cdma phone

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    It's GSM/GPRS/EDGE only so it will only work on Rogers.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    That's disappointing, I wonder if there is a senior's option that will work on telus or if I will need to look more into speakout. My grandma uses about 100min/month.

Feedback Score
    In Canada, GSM unlocked cell phones work, after purchasing and activating one of your service provider's SIM cards, on Rogers' network (which also includes Fido-Microcell, SpeakOut7Eleven, and Petro-Canada Mobility) and also, depending upon your location in Ontario or Quebec, work on Sprint Canada's network.

Feedback Score
    I just bought this cell phone last month for my 80 yr. old mother and she loves it. It was the larger buttons and simplicity of use (plus she had no desire to text or surf the internet) as well as price, obviously, that made it a great choice. It would be more appropriate, however, to say this cell phone would be an ideal choice for anyone with large fingers and/or is a bit visually challenged. I love it as well and will be getting myself one very soon. And I enjoyed learning more about Android devices as this was a first for me. My only complaint would be its super thin metal, extremely tight-fitting case backing and having to figure out for yourself the correct way to slide it off to open it up - which should be on page one of its manual but is nowhere to be found. I found it online. Sounds ridiculous, I know, but the little snap-in plastic pieces underneath it break off easily.

Think Rogers offers free SIM cards for first-time activations. Otherwise, SIM cards cost $10 with them and the same with 7 Eleven and Petro-Can. SpeakOut7Eleven has the best monthly deal out there:
    $20/$25/$30mo. for 100/200/300 mins. anytime-talking with free long-distance within Canada.

And for anyone already using VoiP for their home phone service, remember, you can tether up to five devices to your monthly home phone plan (some charge $15/mo. for a basic home phone plan) along with their cheap-already unlimited Canada/U.S. long distance plan (+ $15/mo.) and then all your cell phone long distance charges to Canada AND THE U.S. are included with no extra charges.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by adam72 View Post
    The Snapfon ezTWO cell phone is designed with seniors in mind, it is an easy to use phone that has many good features for seniors like, the Speaking keypad with big, easy to read and easy to activate buttons, and also has SOS Emergency Alert, you can check the full features at the best prepaid cell phones for seniors
    no dout the best cell phones for elders are provided by companies like greatcall and snapfon, so it is better for seniors to go for phones that well designed and provide the easy to use features.

Feedback Score
    Did anyone tell me about using the 3G service with the Snapfon ezTwo3G since it is one of the little basic cell phones for seniors available on the market offer the high data speed option.

Feedback Score
    It's recommended for any one using AT&T network to get Snapfon ezTWO3G (the 3G version) as AT&T announced it'll shut down the 2G service at the end of this month.

Feedback Score
    I got this phone in JULY 2016 (the 3G version) for my grandmother to use on AT&T. Getting a 3G phone was key to me because I wanted to make sure the phone will work when AT&T does shut down their older network. From July 2016 to December 18, 2016 the phone worked well and as advertised but as of 12/19/2016 AT&T shut down the 2G network and the Snapfon eztwo3g no longer works for AT&T despite the fact its a 3G phone.

Feedback Score
    dastin11 - I have AT&T service as well for my mother, received notice regarding shutting down 2G service. AT&T send me a letter and a free cheap flip-phone and letter stating I have 2 options; activate the new phone they sent me now OR it will be auto-activated by AT&T, no date for the auto-activation, but they would send a text to the old phone the night before auto-activation. I was planning to find another phone for me less than tech savy mom while I visited her over xmas. And since she does not know how to read or send texts, I was not aware and completely caught of guard when they did the auto-activation on 12/19/2016.

Since having a working cell phone is a lifeline to my mom, I called AT&T and after 3 additional calls, I was able to get them to reactivate her old 2G phone until 12/31/16. I told them I would be with her during xmas and would get her a new phone, which I also got her a Snapfon ezTWO3G. After installing her SIM card th eSnapfon started right up, included all her contacts and worked great. I called AT&T to provide them the IMEI number and although the Snapfon specs say its a #3G phone, AT&T said it does not come up as one in their system. In fact, when the phone is on, the display does not show 3G, it shows 3 question marks (???).

I've emailed Snapfon support asking them to confirm if their phone supports 3G, and I will also call them today. My hope is that it does support 3G because its a great phone for my mom and I don't want to have to deal with finding another phone after Saturday.

One thing I'd suggest to you is calling AT&T and ask them to reactivate the SIM card on the line you have and give them the Snapfon IMEI. I'll update you with what Snapfon tells me regarding their support for 3G.

Feedback Score
    dastin11 - Snapfon ezTWO3G UPDATE....
    I just got off the phone w/Snapfon tech support and have GREAT news!
    The phone is in fact a 3G phone and does support AT&T 3G service.
    What you need to do is go to an AT&T store with the Snapfon ezTWO3G and ask them to install a new 3G SIM card. Snapfon tech support told me after installed a 3G SIM card, 3G would be displayed on the phone and it would prevent service from shutting down after 12/31/16. They also told me they are working w/AT&T to correct their system so Snapfon ezTWO3G is listed as a compatible 3G phone.
    I'm going to AT&T store today to get a 3G SIM card and will update you after new years.
    One thing you will also need to ask AT&T to do is copy all the contacts from the 2G SIM to the new 3G SIM.

Feedback Score
    I am furious that people keep assuming that seniors want these!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is a matter of of other things NOT AGE.

I am 74 and very happy with an LG Escape 3 which is an Android phone running Marshmallow. In my case on PureTalk USA which is an AT&T MVNO.

Feedback Score
    dastin11 - Snapfon ezTWO3G UPDATE....
    I just got off the phone w/Snapfon tech support and have GREAT news!
    The phone is in fact a 3G phone and does support AT&T 3G service.
    What you need to do is go to an AT&T store with the Snapfon ezTWO3G and ask them to install a new 3G SIM card. Snapfon tech support told me after installed a 3G SIM card, 3G would be displayed on the phone and it would prevent service from shutting down after 12/31/16. They also told me they are working w/AT&T to correct their system so Snapfon ezTWO3G is listed as a compatible 3G phone.
    I'm going to AT&T store today to get a 3G SIM card and will update you after new years.
    One thing you will also need to ask AT&T to do is copy all the contacts from the 2G SIM to the new 3G SIM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBestOf View Post
    I just bought this cell phone last month for my 80 yr. old mother and she loves it. It was the larger buttons and simplicity of use (plus she had no desire to text or surf the internet) as well as price, obviously, that made it a great choice. It would be more appropriate, however, to say this cell phone would be an ideal choice for anyone with large fingers and/or is a bit visually challenged. I love it as well and will be getting myself one very soon. And I enjoyed learning more about Android devices as this was a first for me. My only complaint would be its super thin metal, extremely tight-fitting case backing and having to figure out for yourself the correct way to slide it off to open it up - which should be on page one of its manual but is nowhere to be found. I found it online. Sounds ridiculous, I know, but the little snap-in plastic pieces underneath it break off easily.

Think Rogers offers free SIM cards for first-time activations. Otherwise, SIM cards cost $10 with them and the same with 7 Eleven and Petro-Can. SpeakOut7Eleven has the best monthly deal out there:
    $20/$25/$30mo. for 100/200/300 mins. anytime-talking with free long-distance within Canada.

And for anyone already using VoiP for their home phone service, remember, you can tether up to five devices to your monthly home phone plan (some charge $15/mo. for a basic home phone plan) along with their cheap-already unlimited Canada/U.S. long distance plan (+ $15/mo.) and then all your cell phone long distance charges to Canada AND THE U.S. are included with no extra charges.
    Thanks for saying what I have added the bold to.

I am furious that people keep assuming that seniors want these!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is a matter of of other things NOT AGE.

I am 74 and very happy with an LG Escape 3 which is an Android phone running Marshmallow. In my case on PureTalk USA which is an AT&T MVNO.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast