Thread: Will PayLo become the land of Basic Smartphones ... soon?

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin_Mobile, AT&T_ Prepaid
    Feedback Score

Will PayLo become the land of Basic Smartphones ... soon?

At 9am Tomorrow Morning, Motorola is Killing the Flip Phone
    http://www.droid-life.com/2014/05/12...he-flip-phone/

Name:  Bnc5FSSCIAATQ7j.png
Views: 475
Size:  147.8 KB

This would be a welcome evolution to the PayLo brand (@ a price point near $49.95 or Less!!!).
    PREPAID means I have all the power.
    They want me, but they can't have me...

Virgin Mobile: $35 / $1 | AT&T PREPAID: .25/Min

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    I don't think so. Android phones on PayLo are pointless. The biggest reason is that the most amount of data you can get with PayLo is 50MB on the $40 plan. Or for the same price, you can get the Boost $40 plan that gives you 500MB of full speed data and then slows you down if you go over that. I do think that Sprint needs to revamp Virgin Mobile or just get rid of it all together. In a way, the plans on all three brands compete with each other. Hopefully Sprint will clean up this mess and simplify it's prepaid portfolio soon.

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (NO Contract !!!: Opera/9.80 (BlackBerry; Opera Mini/8.0.35157/34.2003; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/11.10)

Quote Originally Posted by J Wireless
    I don't think so. Android phones on PayLo are pointless. The biggest reason is that the most amount of data you can get with PayLo is 50MB on the $40 plan. Or for the same price, you can get the Boost $40 plan that gives you 500MB of full speed data and then slows you down if you go over that. I do think that Sprint needs to revamp Virgin Mobile or just get rid of it all together. In a way, the plans on all three brands compete with each other. Hopefully Sprint will clean up this mess and simplify it's prepaid portfolio soon.
    If you did "think" you would realize, as Sprint does, that having multiple brands provides more revenue than just a singular stand alone product. The very successful approach has yielded enough positive results for their company that it is now being replicated by both T-Mobile and AT&T. Too bad for those two that they do not have Nationally Recognized brands like Virgin Mobile and Boost. It will be interesting to see which company wins the race to provide free Lifeline Smartphones. Absolutely nothing wrong with providing a dirt cheap ZTE or Kyocera smartphone product to the Millions of needy Americans on Lifeline service. Heck Sprint might want to borrow a page of the current T-Mobile handbook and provide Unlimited 2G (1x-Rtt) to those poor souls on Assurance Wireless that need web access for as little as $30 a month (an AW option that already exists)... While at this time Sprint limits VM PayLo to 50MB @ $40, it would not be difficult to just open the 2G Flood Gates and provide Unlimited 1x-Rtt data for the same or maybe even less money like $25.
    Last edited by vmobi; 05-14-2014 at 08:07 PM.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    Please do me a favor, and explain how having a net loss of over 300,000 customers in the first quarter of the year is a "successful approach"? I don't "think" that customers leaving your company is a sign of success or a way of generating new revenue. Having multiple MVNO's is a way to get extra money without having to pay out as much, but someone who worked with Sprint told me a few years ago that they do not classify Boost or Virgin as an MVNO since they are owned by Sprint. In other words, since Sprint owns the companies and the network, they don't operate on a virtual network. I'm not saying you're wrong, I just want to understand your point of view better.

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (NO Contract !!!: Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/7.5.35199/34.2003; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/11.10)

Quote Originally Posted by J Wireless
    Please do me a favor, and explain how having a net loss of over 300,000 customers in the first quarter of the year is a "successful approach"? I don't "think" that customers leaving your company is a sign of success or a way of generating new revenue. Having multiple MVNO's is a way to get extra money without having to pay out as much, but someone who worked with Sprint told me a few years ago that they do not classify Boost or Virgin as an MVNO since they are owned by Sprint. In other words, since Sprint owns the companies and the network, they don't operate on a virtual network. I'm not saying you're wrong, I just want to understand your point of view better.
    First, I'm not making reference to any mvno's at any of the companies mentioned. MVNO's are part of the wholesale end of a carrier's business. Your suggestion that Sprint needs to unload a brand or perhaps even consolidate their prepaid services, was what I was using as a basis in the reply. It is truly entertaining to see such suggestion being expressed, since both T-Mobile and now AT&T have their own owned and operated brands. T-mo: Metro, gosmart, etc., etc., in addition to T-Mo prepaid, AT&T: AIO, Cricket, in addition to at&t gophone. Yet so many question Sprint's multi-brand prepaid approach...

Very amusing indeed.

As for the 300K prepaid subscriber loss ... it was primarily due to the Assurance Wireless Lifeline program. New requirements specifically aimed at reducing and eliminating Fraud within the Lifeline program will cause those fluctuations to occur. Is that a bad thing or can that seasonal fluctuation somehow be interpreted as a good thing??? If there were no penalties for not verifying eligibility on a timely basis, then that could be a bad thing. However, from a business standpoint, should Sprint have kept billing for all those Lifeline accounts without verification of eligibility and then been subjected to an audit, they would then have been forced to not only repay funds for non-eligible accounts, but would have also been subjected to very high penalties that would have negatively affected their quarterly profit margins.

This goes back to the need for cheap/basic smartphone options for AW subscribers along with VM's PayLo subscribers. If that were to be realized, more consistency would be the end result along with brand loyalty.