Thread: Clearwire throttling?

Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Clearwire throttling?

I've always been very happy with my Clear service. Unlimited mobile internet via a usb modem. I have never had slow service. I use a program on my pc called virtual router to allow me the ability to use my tablet through the service. I rarely even use the pc at all, it just feeds the service to my tablet.

Recently I have been getting about 80% less speed. Almost unusable in some cases.

What's up with this?

I probably only use about 5-20gb a month. Since I'm paying for unlimited and I've never had an issue with that... I find it bizarre that they're throttling now. Or maybe they're dismantling the nearest tower?

I'm thinking about doing the cable option... but I really don't like cable :/

via the HoFo App

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, H2O, Straight Talk, Net10
    Feedback Score
    There may be something else going on; Monday in San Fran everything was working just fine; two days later though, Speedtests are OK, but web pages don't usually load all the way. Maybe it's some sort of problem with their proxy(?) servers? RSSI and CINR are OK, too (-62 dBm and 26, respectively).
    Nexus 4 on Net10/AT&T
    Samsung Tab S2 SM-T817T on T-Mo

Feedback Score
    By Tb

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Could it be related to this month's Sprint announcement that they would be throttling the top 5% of users?
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Thing is, I can stream from my office's network at full speeds; in my case the issue seems to be related to problems with starting (? or ending?) the myriad of little connections that make up a typical web page.

Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Volaris View Post
    Could it be related to this month's Sprint announcement that they would be throttling the top 5% of users?
    That's what I'm wondering. If they're extending the throttle to Clear.... they've just made my service with Clear USELESS. I went with Clear as a cable broadband replacement. With a throttle it no longer provides that solution.

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Volaris View Post
    I doubt it. I'm in the top 5% and haven't noticed any changes and the throttling shouldn't be happening all the time..assuming the area is not congested 24/7.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    FWIW, whatever the issue was it's since cleared up for me as of this AM.

Device(s)
    LG V20 and LG G Pad X 8.0
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile One Plan 6+1 lines
    Feedback Score
    I notice throttling at home (Bay Parkway) but not in Downtown Brooklyn.
    When it's throttled, it's 1500/500
    When it's not throttled, it's 18000/1800

Optimum/Cablevision

Feedback Score
    Even though clearwire was such a lousy company to deal with when they first came out, I hate to see a technology like this get folded. They had a vision of a nationwide wireless network. Telecommunications (especially wireless) has gone from promising and potentially world-changing to whatever it is now- having to watch your "data usage" and all these falsified costs for transmitting data. Sad state of affairs. Kinda makes me want to cancel my accounts just thinking about it.

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenatek View Post
    Even though clearwire was such a lousy company to deal with when they first came out, I hate to see a technology like this get folded. They had a vision of a nationwide wireless network. Telecommunications (especially wireless) has gone from promising and potentially world-changing to whatever it is now- having to watch your "data usage" and all these falsified costs for transmitting data. Sad state of affairs. Kinda makes me want to cancel my accounts just thinking about it.
    I do agree somewhat - - but Clear's demise was it's own making. It was a noble plan - - but the key to its success was keeping it's partners in line... Especially Intel and Broadcom who were SUPPOSED to put WiMax in every wifi chipset they released so that essentially every laptop released could get Clear service without having to have another device or tether - - they didn't. They also didn't invest in the network as was initially claimed.

When the chipset makers weren't nearly that aggressive in releasing chipsets, it really gave LTE a chance to succeed in the US... Clear was too slow, with too little coverage, to stop the competition...

Just goes to show what happens when you get a large group together to try and actually get anything done... There's blame to go around for everyone!