Thread: Rogers' "Three Brand Strategy" - what does it mean for Chatr?

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score

Rogers' "Three Brand Strategy" - what does it mean for Chatr?

Rogers on its trio of wireless brands: ‘We will stay with three. Watch this space.’

http://mobilesyrup.com/2014/05/24/ro...ch-this-space/

"Is there still a need for 3 wireless brands under one company? According to Guy Laurence, Rogers CEO and President, and emphatic yes. In an interview I asked Laurence about his new Rogers 3.0 vision and if it includes Chatr, or is the plan to mould the three brands into two. Laurence was to the point, without hesitation, and stated that “We will stay with three. Watch this space.” "

Any thoughts/guesses/inside info on what this means for Chatr?

Feedback Score
    I don't think that this means anything, really. Chatr will stay around as is, more or less, and sort of in the shadows, because Rogers would rather have you join Rogers Wireless, or Fido. Right now 2.5 companies own 8 brands (9, if you count Solo) - the illusion of competition - so there is "use" for brands like Chatr, and it is to confuse Canadians, who aren't really paying attention to who owns who.

What might be interesting is to see how Chatr and Public position themselves against one another. Public is hands down a better deal right now price- and coverage-wise, but for how long? Telus has already made Public's offerings worse after the purchase. What is stopping them from doing it again to get more in line with Chatr? Or will Chatr be the first to adjust their plans for the better?

Your guesses are as good as mine.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    I wonder what the change at the top means for Rogers' multi-brand strategy? After absorbing Mobilicity into Chatr, they're back down to four brands (Rogers, Fido, Chatr, and Cityfone). Do we see any consolidation down the road? Keeping four brands as they are? Keeping four brands but simplifying by Fido going post-paid only and Chatr becoming Fido's prepaid arm perhaps? Or Chatr being consolidated with Fido prepaid, to drop down to three brands?

Four brands is kind of silly, but could be genius if Rogers opened up stores that look like T-Booth/Wireless Wave stores that sell multiple brands, yet the four brands they sell are Rogers, Fido, Chatr, and Cityfone. It's so silly to me to walk into a mall and see a Telus store near a Koodo store, or a Fido store near a Rogers store, or a Bell store near a Virgin store. Many consumers like feeling like they were able to shop around in a single store, and offering four brands in one would create that illusion. Sprint and T-Mobile in the U.S. have experimented with stores that sell all their respective brands.

Not that I'm in favour of creating a false sense of competition for customers, my comment is on my surprise that Rogers isn't doing it, not a wish that they would.
    Lumia 950 XL dual-SIM -- SIM slot 1: Rogers (small business flex data) -- SIM slot 2: Public Mobile ($120/12GB/90 day plan)

Device(s)
    OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity -> WIND Mobile -> Public Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hurdle View Post
    I wonder what the change at the top means for Rogers' multi-brand strategy? After absorbing Mobilicity into Chatr, they're back down to four brands (Rogers, Fido, Chatr, and Cityfone). Do we see any consolidation down the road? Keeping four brands as they are? Keeping four brands but simplifying by Fido going post-paid only and Chatr becoming Fido's prepaid arm perhaps? Or Chatr being consolidated with Fido prepaid, to drop down to three brands?

Four brands is kind of silly, but could be genius if Rogers opened up stores that look like T-Booth/Wireless Wave stores that sell multiple brands, yet the four brands they sell are Rogers, Fido, Chatr, and Cityfone. It's so silly to me to walk into a mall and see a Telus store near a Koodo store, or a Fido store near a Rogers store, or a Bell store near a Virgin store. Many consumers like feeling like they were able to shop around in a single store, and offering four brands in one would create that illusion. Sprint and T-Mobile in the U.S. have experimented with stores that sell all their respective brands.

Not that I'm in favour of creating a false sense of competition for customers, my comment is on my surprise that Rogers isn't doing it, not a wish that they would.
    That's why our wireless rates are so high. They have to open multiple retail locations in the same mall under different brands in order to create the illusion of competition. Online self-serve brands like Public offer much more value for money. In other countries, the cheaper carriers usually sell their SIMS via corner stores etc instead of having their own retail locations everywhere.

Device(s)
    One Plus One (Virgin), iPhone 5c (Mobi)
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin > Fongo, Chatrlicity
    Feedback Score
    Five brands... you forgot Zoomer.
    Bell SK+fongo:
    $85 Unlimited NA, NA text, US Roaming, 15GB

Chatrlicity:
    $30 Unlimited NAM , $30 Unlimited Province Wide

Device(s)
    Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity/Chatr
    Feedback Score
    In my humble opinion, this illusion of competition is illegal and should be regulated or explicitly says that it's owned by such and such wireless company.
    Tired of cell phone unpredictaBILLS? I can help!
    https://www.facebook.com/CellPhoneSaver

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fruvous View Post
    Five brands... you forgot Zoomer.
    Zoomer just resells Cityfone service. Your bill comes from Cityfone, they do your Customer service, etc. The plans and devices are also the same between the two. Zoomer is one of five different brands that Cityfone service is resold under.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hurdle View Post
    Zoomer just resells Cityfone service. Your bill comes from Cityfone, they do your Customer service, etc. The plans and devices are also the same between the two. Zoomer is one of five different brands that Cityfone service is resold under.
    From Zoomer Wireless' "Most Asked Questions" list: "6: How do I pay my monthly bill?
    A: Your monthly Zoomer Wireless bill is conveniently charged to your credit card each month. You will receive a statement from Zoomer Wireless detailing your monthly wireless charges. On your credit card statement, your charge will be identified as Cityfone."