Thread: Which phone: want to move from GSM BoostMobile (Sprint) to CDMA Straighttalk

Feedback Score

Which phone: want to move from GSM BoostMobile (Sprint) to CDMA Straighttalk

Hi. I have a dilemma that I hope someone can help me with. Here are the facts.

• ---I am required to stay with BoostMobile for the next 7 months - because I need to use up a $228 credit (no refunds given).
      ---Boost Mobile uses GSM network.
      ---GSM network has poor coverage in my home.
      ---I need a new phone.
      ---CDMA has better coverage in my area.
      ---Want to switch to StraightTalk which uses CDMA and GSM - but GSM has lousy coverage.

What phone offers both GSM AND CDMA and works on both Boost and StraightTalk?

---I don't want to buy a new phone when I switch from BoostMobile to StraightTalk

Any guidance is appreciated.

Feedback Score
    Boost is actually CDMA. On Straight Talk the CDMA coverage would be provided by Verizon's network. But you cannot use a Boost Mobile phone on Straight Talk. You could possibly flash a Boost Mobile 3G only (no LTE) phone for PagePlus but you'd have to research which phones that's possible to do that with. Otherwise there is nowhere else you can use a Boost phone except on Boost.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Agree with the above. Some people are buying the Boost Moto G and having it flashed to Page Plus. Unfortunately, it's a 3G only device.

Boost and Virgin are owned by Sprint, which run on the Sprint CDMA network. There's no GSM network for any of them. Verizon is the other carrier with a separate CDMA network.

T-Mobile and AT&T each have their own GSM networks.

Straight Talk has phones/services on all four networks. That doesn't mean they use all four networks for combined coverage, but your phone/sim card uses one of those four networks.

If you need a new Boost phone, buy a cheap-ish one (under $200) that way you can sell it at the end of the 7 months and buy another phone on another network - one that doesn't use Sprint.
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Feedback Score
    Hi. Thank you so much for replying to my question.

Yes, I am sorry for switching the networks. Boost does use CDMA and Straight Talk GSM (which is a better signal in my area). I think Straight Talk also uses CDMA. So from what you are saying. There isn't a phone that will is dual gsm/cdma where I could flash (unlock) cdma to accept the Boost network, THEN use a Straight Talk Sim card when it's time to switch over.

Am I understanding correctly?

I guess I could just sell phone like you said.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamsMom99 View Post
    Hi. Thank you so much for replying to my question.

Yes, I am sorry for switching the networks. Boost does use CDMA and Straight Talk GSM (which is a better signal in my area). I think Straight Talk also uses CDMA. So from what you are saying. There isn't a phone that will is dual gsm/cdma where I could flash (unlock) cdma to accept the Boost network, THEN use a Straight Talk Sim card when it's time to switch over.

Am I understanding correctly?

I guess I could just sell phone like you said.
    Right, there is no phone you can use both on Boost and also on a GSM network. (There is a phone called the Nexus 5 which is carrier unlocked and has both CDMA and GSM radios but it is not accepted by Boost for use on Boost).

Feedback Score
    FuturePhone and Volaris:

thank you so much for the reply. Going to take advice and just get another boost phone and sell it when I switch!

You're the best!

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6S Plus Apple iPhone 6S Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    The mistake may be because Boost Mobile originally ran on the Nextel division of Sprint. The Nextel telephones ran the iDEN network protocol. Those telephones used integrated circuit cards which were the same size as the SIM cards used by GSM telephones. Sprint later switched Boost Mobile to CDMA when they started phasing out the Nextel network.
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score
    thank you Earl!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamsMom99 View Post
    Hi. I have a dilemma that I hope someone can help me with. Here are the facts.

• ---I am required to stay with BoostMobile for the next 7 months - because I need to use up a $228 credit (no refunds given).
      ---Boost Mobile uses GSM network.
      ---GSM network has poor coverage in my home.
      ---I need a new phone.
      ---CDMA has better coverage in my area.
      ---Want to switch to StraightTalk which uses CDMA and GSM - but GSM has lousy coverage.

What phone offers both GSM AND CDMA and works on both Boost and StraightTalk?

---I don't want to buy a new phone when I switch from BoostMobile to StraightTalk

Any guidance is appreciated.
    Boost does not now and never has used GSM!! They are CDMA. Years ago they used an iDen
    system. Those two are all Boost has ever used.