Thread: Kyocera Iridium

Feedback Score

Kyocera Iridium

I got Kyocera Iridium.Can anyone tell me more about that phone,is it really satelite phone,how much is it worth,etc.I got only phone and charger,do i need anything more?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Device(s)
    Blackview BV8000 Pro, Novatel Liberate, SkyRoam, Isatphone Pro, Karma Go
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T,Sprint,Piranha,SkyRoam,InMarSat
    Feedback Score
    Most Iridium satellite handsets are made by Motorola. A few were also made by Kyocera around 1998/1999 and have since been discontinued. The Iridium satellite constellation is still in orbit and new satellites will be launched soon. Service is available at around $1-$1.49/minute on postpaid contracts plus monthly fees starting at around $50/month. Prepaid service is also available without the monthly fees.

The original vision for Iridium was using a rather bulky combination cellular and satellite handset. The Motorola 9500 handset made in the same time period as your Kyocera could take cellular cassettes for various standards. The Iridium company went bankrupt and was sold for pennies on the dollar. During company restructuring they went to satellite only operations (people would rather just use a separate cellphone for regular calls, and use the satphone only when the cellphone was not in range of a cell tower).

Your Kyocera handset (likely the KI-G100 model) is a cellular phone that can be plugged into a Kyocera Iridium docking cradle. It can be used for cellular or satellite calls when docked. Still may be possible to get the SD-66K docking cradle for it. The handset by itself can be used as a 900 mhz cellular phone in countries that support that frequency (usually Europe or Asia), but satellite calls can not be made without the extra cradle unit. Plus a postpaid or prepaid Iridium sim card would be needed to go with it.

Attachment 112792

The manual for your phone is available here: http://http://www.manualslib.com/dow...m-Ki-G100.html

A boxed new phone like yours without the docking cradle is currently being sold on ebay with a starting bid of $100 and might go for twice that if anybody bids on it. A used phone in good condition might fetch $100. With the satellite docking adapter, and all accessories, it would be worth more.

Because Kyocera discontinued these phone models in the late 1990's and the more recent Motorola models are more popular for the Iridium system, there isn't a huge market for Kyocera/Iridium handsets. Plus there are competing SatPhone systems such as InMarSat, Globalstar, Thuraya, etc.

Basically if you have a need for a satellite phone, your handset could be converted into one with the special Kyocera adapter and a prepaid or postpaid Iridium sim card. Without the adapter it's a rather unusual cellphone model from 1998/1999. Have fun!

Feedback Score
    Hey,thanks for the reply.You made it easier to me