Thread: Use Vonage with iPhone, and switch to data-only plan?

Device(s)
    Motorola MPX220
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular, Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score

Use Vonage with iPhone, and switch to data-only plan?

I talk very, very infrequently on the phone. I'm thinking of switching to a data-only plan on my cell phone ( affordable ones are available from T-Mobile).

Would it be possible to port my existing cell phone number to Vonage, and then just use the Vonage iPhone app in conjunction with my iPhone and data-only plan for the limited times that I want to make or receive phone calls? Is it a fairly seamless experience (i.e. does your iPhone ring/alert you when your Vonage number is dialed, is there a missed call log, is it possible to send and receive text messages, etc.?).

This is a very specific question that I've had difficulty searching for - I'd appreciate your insight!

Feedback Score
    I haven't used Vonage, so I can't answer your specific questions. But if it doesn't meet your needs, there are many others to choose from. FYI, T-Mobile's best data only plan is actually a smartphone plan: $30 for 5 GB and 100 minutes of talk. You'll only need VoIP if your calling needs exceed that allowance. In addition, it comes with unlimited texting.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile, RingPlus, Tracfone BYOP
    Feedback Score
    I did this... albeit with Android... for about a month. I live in an area blanketed with T-Mobile. Vonage, Truphone, Ring.to+Groove IP are all ways to make calls. I had the TMO $30 plan and wanted to try the Red Pocket data only sim for $10/mo instead.

The setup works **reasonably well. If you never make calls while driving or outside your home, you'll be fine. I'm constantly on the go. While I don't make a lot of calls, I make many of the ones I *do make outside my home. Thus, all of these Voip solutions turned out to be not worth it to me. I threw a cheap Tracfone in the glovebox as a backup... and was glad I did when I was in a car accident last month and couldn't manage to get a call through on the voip services. I went back to traditional service that day.

If you're comfortable with this setup +backup, give it a try. I wouldn't do it without some CHEAP backup solution.

Sent from my Venue 8 Pro 5830 using Tapatalk
    Self-professed gadget geek, serial phone-tryer-outer.
    iOS, Android, BB10, Windows...it's all good.

Currently?
    Main lines:
    Iphone SE x2, Samsung J7: TMO Select Market Family Match
    Iphone 5s Tracfone

How many active SIMs does one person need?

Carrier(s)
    TMobile, RingPlus, Tracfone BYOP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamfromChi View Post
    I talk very, very infrequently on the phone. I'm thinking of switching to a data-only plan on my cell phone ( affordable ones are available from T-Mobile).

Would it be possible to port my existing cell phone number to Vonage, and then just use the Vonage iPhone app in conjunction with my iPhone and data-only plan for the limited times that I want to make or receive phone calls? Is it a fairly seamless experience (i.e. does your iPhone ring/alert you when your Vonage number is dialed, is there a missed call log, is it possible to send and receive text messages, etc.?).

This is a very specific question that I've had difficulty searching for - I'd appreciate your insight!

I wanted to add something. I ported an extra TMO number I didn't want to lose to ring.to It was a simple, easy experience. It is free. I would port there or to Google Voice, but I believe you have to pay to port to GV. Ring.to works in conjunction with the GrooveIP app to make/receive calls. It works pretty well. I have been having a number of problems with the Vonage app this week, and wouldn't want to rely solely on them for service. If you make very few calls, this setup might work perfectly well for you. I haven't ruled trying it out again.

Feedback Score
    Vonage is a f*cked-up company that makes conflicting claims about the cost of calls from its Vonage Mobile app.

https://forums.vonage.com/showthread.php?t=32767

Feedback Score
    I'm using Vonage in Brooklyn and having billing issues with them, support staff got poor accent, pathetic service.