Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is Verizon already throttling Unlimted Data on LTE?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Is Verizon already throttling Unlimted Data on LTE?

I have a iPhone 5 on Verizon's unlimited data and this week I have noticed very low speeds like 1MB download and 6MB upload in areas in my city where I would usually get 12MB download and 6MB upload. And its not just one area but different towers and and areas miles away I am getting slow speeds when I use to get decent speeds. Has Verizon already started throttling Unlimited Data on LTE? (BTW I have used 13GB this month and I have 11 days left in cycle)
    iPhone 6S Verizon

iPhone 6 AT&T $100 Unlimited Data Plan

iPhone 6 Boost Mobile (LTE Spark with 2 Bars)

iPhone 5 Virgin Mobile USA 5 Bars LTE

iPhone 5 Verizon 5 Bars LTE

Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It seems like it to me. I was at the mall yesterday and got .15 down and 1 up. It wasn't even a crowded mall, but whenever I visit the bay area data speeds drop dramatically, so I don't know.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It's most likely just congestion in that area you are in. Verizon's network is no where near dense enough to support all of the customers it services in a lot of areas.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    But the funny thing is the speeds were fine last week and it just started slowing down this week. Pretty much since Verizon made the announcement. And also if it was congestion wouldn't my upload speeds be slow? Because they are the same 6MB as when my downloads were getting 12MB+. It seems like only my download speeds went down. Since now I am getting 1-2MB download and 6MB upload. Before 12MB+ download and 6MB upload.

Feedback Score
    It was probably a hundred other users running speed tests at the same time you were and dragging the network down. I just don't get this infatuation people have with speed tests. Either the device is doing what you need it to do or it's not.

Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshGlzBrk View Post
    It's most likely just congestion in that area you are in. Verizon's network is no where near dense enough to support all of the customers it services in a lot of areas.
    If that's the case then sounds like a prime area for throttling later. I agree that some areas of the network are very congested and Verizon is having a hard time keeping up already. Those areas will surely be subjected to throttling in October.
    http://howardforums.com/showthread.p...ghlight=cbreze

Moto X Pure / HTC 10 / iPhone 7

Feedback Score
    Well, I have the same issue. Speeds in the last few days, have dropped significantly. The download is 0.50 to 1 Mbps. Ridiculously slow. It seems that throttling has started.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by techuser1 View Post
    Well, I have the same issue. Speeds in the last few days, have dropped significantly. The download is 0.50 to 1 Mbps. Ridiculously slow. It seems that throttling has started.
    Are you sure you did not roam on sprint network ? if this is true I hope there is proxy or vpn client that can bypass this otherwise everyone i going to switch to t-mobile. There is howto on slickdeals.net on how to renew contract without loosing unlimited data.

Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    Congested towers or throttling, crap speed is crap speed. However, I wouldn't put it past Verizon to say October and actually start early.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cbreze View Post
    If that's the case then sounds like a prime area for throttling later. I agree that some areas of the network are very congested and Verizon is having a hard time keeping up already. Those areas will surely be subjected to throttling in October.
    The problem with that is say there is 500 people on the tower and two of the 500 are unlimited user's throttling them will do nothing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by oldertwin View Post
    But the funny thing is the speeds were fine last week and it just started slowing down this week. Pretty much since Verizon made the announcement. And also if it was congestion wouldn't my upload speeds be slow? Because they are the same 6MB as when my downloads were getting 12MB+. It seems like only my download speeds went down. Since now I am getting 1-2MB download and 6MB upload. Before 12MB+ download and 6MB upload.
    it could be when the tower gets congested they make some changes that cause everyone's speeds to go to half or some other factor from the normal speed. if they were throttling you they would be making it much slower so that you clearly notice a difference and halt or slow down your usage. i have seen on verizon 3G where the speedtest is always nearly exactly 700kbps(usually late afternoon when everyone is using the phone) or 1.4 mbps(late at night) so it would not be unprecedented to having multiple speed tiers for the network based on customer load.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Maybe they are adding XLTE (AWS) or something? Locally LTE speeds dropped a fair bit when they were (they weren't great to begin with), then when they were done speeds were faster than before they started even on 700. It didn't seem like sites were being taken off line (sites here aren't dense, this would cause major signal drops and holes), but like they might have been fiddling with the backhaul and such.

via the HoFo App

Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bcltoys View Post
    The problem with that is say there is 500 people on the tower and two of the 500 are unlimited user's throttling them will do nothing.
    I get your point but your math is bad unless you were just making your point. Obviously 2 out of 500 is way less than one percent. There has to be more unlimited users than that on any given congested tower at anytime. I think Verizon will use the throttling opportunity to throttle pretty much as needed. Just my opinion of course, but with the green light on for them now to throttle no one knows just how bad or how widespread it could get. I wouldn't trust them to do exactly what they say regarding it 100% of the time. How does anyone know if their being throttled or congested? "Your not being throttled ma'am, the tower is just congested". Who's to know? Again just my opinion but AT&T could stand to gain some angry Verizon customers. I will probably check them out on a prepaid when my contract here is up. And I'm not even on UL ��

Feedback Score
    Just a point random number. I don't trust Verizon as far as I can throw a feather in a cat 5 hurricane.

Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bcltoys View Post
    Just a point random number. I don't trust Verizon as far as I can throw a feather in a cat 5 hurricane.
    +1��. *******

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast