Thread: Numbers for using up cell minutes?

Carrier(s)
    VM
    Feedback Score

Numbers for using up cell minutes?

Hi all,

I have a legacy PayLo account that still qualifies me for Service Preserver. I only use my cell for emergencies, which leaves me every year having to find some way to use up close to $80 in order to make room for the next top up. I usually call an automated movie theater here in town that only requires me to press a button every 2 minutes or so, but I do have to press something so it won't hang up on me.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any toll-free numbers in the US I could call that let me just leave the phone and won't disconnect me if I don't press any buttons.

I've asked over at VM numerous times why they don't make it so that if you're less than $80 from the $400 credit limit, that they just keep the change and put the 1 year extension through, but I've never received a single reply.

If this has been asked before, or belongs in a different sub-forum, I apologize. I googled and searched here, but didn't get any results.

Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    How about date and time? There also should be weather. Do you have Dial a prayer? That's all I can think of off hand.
    Interesting list here though. http://phonephun.us/archives/category/fun-s/

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Can you use the balance to buy other phones? If so you can do that and flip them or donate them. Wasting minutes seems like such a waste. Not familiar with Service Preserver so forgive the question if not applicable.

Feedback Score
    Can you use short codes to donate the money to charity like The Red Cross or Humane Society or others?
    I'm sure there is a list somewhere that has many different charities that people can use short codes and donate various different amounts of money to using their phones.

Sent from my Fantastic Galaxy S2

Carrier(s)
    VM
    Feedback Score
    Hi folks, thanks for the replies.

futurephone: Thanks for the link. I found a dial-up radio station on there that's exactly what I was looking for.

mathfaster: Service Preserver (also referred to as 1 Year of Service) is an option for qualifying plans which allows you to top up $80 at once, then your service stays active for the next year. You must have room, however, in your account credit for the $80 to fit under the $400 cap (i.e. your balance must be $320.00 or less). I did use part of my balance last year to upgrade to a new phone (Samsung Montage) with features besides simply a phone (MP3 player, camera, SDHC card for phone-to-PC transfers), but VM hasn't upgraded their PayLo phones selection since. I'd love it if I could get this exact same phone, but with a 5, 10, or even higher mp camera instead of 2mp.

SnowyWhite: I did think about that right after I posted here last night. I went over to VM's website and searched the FAQs, but didn't get any hits. The Red Cross however, did list VM as a participating carrier. I sent an email to VM's customer support asking for clarification and links, so hopefully I'll know soon. If there's no limit, I'd much rather use the excess credit for charity than just listening to a radio-by-phone station.

Device(s)
    Nokia 2720
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Carelton View Post
    I only use my cell for emergencies, which leaves me every year having to find some way to use up close to $80 in order to make room for the next top up..
    Me too. I bought a Samsung Galaxy S3 with my balance. This took $270 off my cash balance in a few minutes. In a few months, my cash balance will allow purchase of a broadband thingy. YMMV.

Regards, FJ

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontierjustice View Post
    Me too. I bought a Samsung Galaxy S3 with my balance. This took $270 off my cash balance in a few minutes. In a few months, my cash balance will allow purchase of a broadband thingy. YMMV.

Regards, FJ
    YW, but I noticed those radio stations aren't toll free numbers. Not sure if that makes a difference, but I don't think so.

Edit: oops I meant to quote Carelton and quoted FJ by mistake. Sorry.

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin_Mobile, AT&T_ Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowyWhite View Post
    Can you use short codes to donate the money to charity like The Red Cross or Humane Society or others?
    I'm sure there is a list somewhere that has many different charities that people can use short codes and donate various different amounts of money to using their phones.

Sent from my Fantastic Galaxy S2
    There are so many charities that accept mobile donations...

http://www.redcross.org/support/dona...text-messaging

https://mgive.com/

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/virgi...ion-past-about

http://www.globalgiving.org/projects...donate/#mobile
    PREPAID means I have all the power.
    They want me, but they can't have me...

Virgin Mobile: $35 / $1 | AT&T PREPAID: .25/Min