Thread: Remembering the Old Hiptop Platform

Device(s)
    Iphone5
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Remembering the Old Hiptop Platform

I noticed there is still a Danger Sidekick/Hiptop section and it brought me back to 2010! I don't think alot of people realize that the platform for the Hiptop was way ahead of its time. One of my good friends helped program for the Sidekicks and it actually had a browser, good sms features, and a few apps. This was the last platform before the Android hit the market. I owned one back in 2009 when I was working out in Southern California and it brings back memories. Did anybody else own one of these back in the day? I think I even had my old AOL instant messenger on it. I know use an Iphone5 and it is crazy how far we have come in mobile development!

Device(s)
    2-Sidekick 4G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yes I remember them fondly. They also had an App Store ("Download Fun") long before Apple iPhones came out. most functions were transferred into Android platform since many of those developers moved to Android from Danger after the infamous Microsoft buyout.

Device(s)
    Iphone5
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    That is awesome! I think I had read in an article that all of the original programmers basically put in all this effort to design this platform and it was immediately replaced by the Android right after 2010. All of that work and most people probably do not realize it preceded the Android platform.

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson Z710i (home)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Thumbs up WAY AHEAD OF EVERYPHONE!! i programmed for hipster modules.. :)

Quote Originally Posted by RC-Harris2 View Post
    I noticed there is still a Danger Sidekick/Hiptop section and it brought me back to 2010! I don't think alot of people realize that the platform for the Hiptop was way ahead of its time. One of my good friends helped program for the Sidekicks and it actually had a browser, good sms features, and a few apps. This was the last platform before the Android hit the market. I owned one back in 2009 when I was working out in Southern California and it brings back memories. Did anybody else own one of these back in the day? I think I even had my old AOL instant messenger on it. I know use an Iphone5 and it is crazy how far we have come in mobile development!
    OMG! i know right? the Sidekick and CSK/CSK2 where basically iOS and Android 5-10 years before it was realized. i had one in 2004 and worked w/the developers that made an app you could only install if you had a dev kit called Hipster. This app was basically the foundation or seems like it was of the current app world. it basically was a web site metadata scraper that had a server backend and a front end client that one could make modules for. i made about 40+ modules that included one of the first google maps apps w/turn by turn directions (not gps aware of course but you could get a properly formatted turn by turn list of directions), a banking app that would parse my bank account balance hourly (yea, insecure bank websites let me do this.. for 5 years!! sad eh!?) and espn sports apps, etc.

yea, this phone and platform were so far ahead of its time.. long live the HipTop/Sidekick and Danger!!!
    "knowledge is power, spread the power"
    http://seamonkey420.tech-recipes.com
    CSK/SK2 | DVD | XBOX | Guides and More