Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ATT Unite 8829 Hotspot on Straight Talk Refill Does Not Connect to Network

Feedback Score

ATT Unite 8829 Hotspot on Straight Talk Refill Does Not Connect to Network

I have used one of these on Straight Talk for one billing cycle. It worked great until I used up the 1GB of data I purchased. I purchased a refill and received a text message thanking me for the refill. When I try to connect to the data network it will not connect. ST customer service is no help since the SIM I used is for their tablet BYOD and they keep talking about changing the data network settings on my tablet which doesn't have any.

I have reset the Unite to factory settings, input the APN name info, shut down and turned on several times, removed the SIM and reinstalled. Checking the balance at my online account shows the end date of 9/21/2014 for 2GB.

Any ideas on how to connect to the data network?

Device(s)
    Nokia E71
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by texbiker View Post
    I have used one of these on Straight Talk for one billing cycle. It worked great until I used up the 1GB of data I purchased. I purchased a refill and received a text message thanking me for the refill. When I try to connect to the data network it will not connect. ST customer service is no help since the SIM I used is for their tablet BYOD and they keep talking about changing the data network settings on my tablet which doesn't have any.

I have reset the Unite to factory settings, input the APN name info, shut down and turned on several times, removed the SIM and reinstalled. Checking the balance at my online account shows the end date of 9/21/2014 for 2GB.

Any ideas on how to connect to the data network?
    Yea folks . This is what happens when you use a product for what it wasn't intended for.

Question why not just get a straight talk hot spot device. Straight talk has them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cooter55 View Post
    Yea folks . This is what happens when you use a product for what it wasn't intended for.

Question why not just get a straight talk hot spot device. Straight talk has them.
    according to this - http://www.straighttalk.com/wps/port...ceplans/tablet
    the tablet sim can be used in a mobile hotspot device.

Feedback Score
    I read on a forum here of another person doing the same thing. Also Straight Talk's hotspot runs on Verizon at 3G whereas this one is LTE.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    according to this - http://www.straighttalk.com/wps/port...ceplans/tablet
    the tablet sim can be used in a mobile hotspot device.
    It doesn't explicitly say that.

As a matter of fact, "Straight Talk Mobile Hotspot original settings will allow any Wi-Fi® capable device to connect unless connection is secured. You can change the security settings in the Wi-Fi® tab. For more information please refer to the Services Guide included in the package." suggests otherwise.

If you look under the BYOD option under "Shop", you'll also notice that it only allows for phones.

I have the Straight Talk Umax hotspot and have never run into any problems with refilling, but it uses Verizon's network, not AT&T's.

Feedback Score
    I talked to ST CSR. According to him there is a data network problem for Texas. I was told to wait 24 hours to see if the problem is resolved. If not I am to call back. I doubt this is the case but I will see what happens.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hrhenry View Post
    It doesn't explicitly say that.

As a matter of fact, "Straight Talk Mobile Hotspot original settings will allow any Wi-Fi® capable device to connect unless connection is secured. You can change the security settings in the Wi-Fi® tab. For more information please refer to the Services Guide included in the package." suggests otherwise.

If you look under the BYOD option under "Shop", you'll also notice that it only allows for phones.

I have the Straight Talk Umax hotspot and have never run into any problems with refilling, but it uses Verizon's network, not AT&T's.
    i know that straight talk already sells a hotspot device that uses verizon's network,
    straight talk sells a new (i'm guessing) a data only sim card that is for tablets and mobile hotspot devices like AT&T/ T mobile
    the data only sim currently can only be found in walmart stores.

Feedback Score
    Follow up:
    I talked to ST CSR tonight for an hour and 12 minutes. By the end the hotspot was working.

I started off with the entry CSR. She did a few things in the computer with no change. Because I was on the phone too long she passed me to a floor super. The floor super worked on the computer for a while adding features and I would turn the hotspot off and then on. Up to then the hotspot showed 3 bars and "Home". After a few tries 4G appeared. I still wasn't able to connect. A few more tries and it tried to connect but still failed. The floor super said she would have to contact AT&T to see what they could do. The floor super said the hotspot wasn't fully provisioned. When she came back on the phone LTE now showed along with 4 bars, "Home" and 4G. I was about to turn the hotspot off when it connected and started to work. Now there are gold waves moving out from LTE whenever I am online. I thanked the floor super.

I have turned the hotspot off a couple of times and the connection works each time.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    cricket
    Feedback Score
    Is there a tutorial on where to get the hotspot and Sim, etc? I'm kind of interested in doing byod hotspot. I just need to know which is best and where to get it (online preferably, Sim in store?)
    I will have questions for you.
    Don't be afraid to ask me questions.

Feedback Score
    I bought the ATT Unite hotspot on ebay. Then I purchased a ST tablet activation kit from WalMart. The kit comes with both ATT and T-Mobile SIM cards. Use the ATT one (blue). The kit includes a 1 GB 1 month refill. Install the SIM and then go to Straightalk.com and follow the instructions included in the kit. The Unite is pretty simple to setup.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    cricket
    Feedback Score
    I bought the ATT Unite hotspot on ebay. Then I purchased a ST tablet activation kit from WalMart. The kit comes with both ATT and T-Mobile SIM cards. Use the ATT one (blue). The kit includes a 1 GB 1 month refill. Install the SIM and then go to Straightalk.com and follow the instructions included in the kit. The Unite is pretty simple to setup.
    What is your normal pings?

Feedback Score
    I don't know. It does what I need.

Feedback Score
    I don't know. It does what I need.
    Open up a terminal window and type "ping www.yahoo.com" (or any other website, for that matter) and post the results.

I know with a 3G htspot I get anywhere from 70-something to 200-something pings while at home.

Feedback Score
    I use the hotspot to connect my Nexus 7 tablet. I will check speedtest.net to see if it reports ping time.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    cricket
    Feedback Score
    I sent straight talk a message on facebook, and they said that the tablet sim only works on tablets lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast