Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Can I get the $40 Canada Wide Plan 1Gb Data as a New Customer?

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z30, Blackberry Q10, Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by awebber View Post
    which _could_ mean you have to be an existing customer (i.e. do what it says above), or it _could_ mean that new activations, i.e. accounts activated starting now, no longer get data at all.
    UPDATE - online profile has MASSIVE changes today in layout BUT plan change to data is STILL available
    Just need to jump through the new hoops
    It is sad I need to state the obvious but some people just don't get it. Any posts I make are my own OPINIONS and in no way represent the views of my employer

Device(s)
    Samsung Gravity 2 (Wind HSPA)
    Carrier(s)
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    The website claims data is not available to new activations.
    It also looks like they are hiding their phone number, when I click "Contact us" it only gives email and their support page.

Im wondering if this is the end of it (like the old Solo)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Just got off the phone with them after a 40 minute wait.

The guy said the website is not up to date and not to worry, I can get the $40 plan with data. He did say there was going to be some "changes" but then wouldn't elaborate.

Then he made a few calls and I was advised that they are only offering the $19 and $25 plans now, no data. So he called support and they said if I provide them my SIM card number they will offer me the plan today as an exception. The SIM didnt arrive yet so he called support back and they said no, they will not offer me the same offer when the SIM arrives in 2 days.

I didnt take it out on the guy but I did say that I am extremely disappointed that they told me that in 2 days it would be offered to everyone when this was a lie.

He said they were all under the impression that Sept 2 all plans would be available but everyone was surprised to find out this was not the case.

I am certain now that Telus wants to kill this company completely.
    I would go with Koodo but not even sure I want to support Telus at all, however all of the Big 3 suck royally so I guess it doesnt matter.

Carrier(s)
    Public, TMo PP, H2O
    Feedback Score
    I put in multiple online orders for various size SIMs. We shall see if they actually mail them out or no
    Yeah, I ordered one and kept expecting to be told there's $10 shipping, but they claim to have accepted my order for $0.00 shipped (no CC needed).

He said they were all under the impression that Sept 2 all plans would be available but everyone was surprised to find out this was not the case.
    It's certainly not unheard of for companies to lie to their phone agents. And technically it's true, all plans _are_ available to everyone, but they only have two plans now.

I have a friend who might be okay with $25/mo and no data (just use WiFi) and if so I may have a chance to find out if it's possible to switch to the $40 plan on a SIM activated after Sep 1. But she really wants US roaming, and also wants a free (or really cheap) handset, which may be the challenge. I can explain that the $25 plan is better than anything she can get elsewhere for <$50, and the cheap handsets require 24mo commitment, but I've tried the latter before and she doesn't seem to get it.

The apparent lack of data boosters is another concern, I have another friend on $25 with a 1GB booster that should last the rest of 2014 but the plan was to buy another Booster when that one runs out.

I am certain now that Telus wants to kill this company completely.
    I think there was never any question about that. Who would sign up with Koodo today if PM still offered $40 for 1GB with the Telus footprint, except for the most uninformed (and it wouldn't take long before there was a mainstream article about this fantastic new PM service)?

=aw

Feedback Score
    Who would sign up with Koodo today if PM still offered $40 for 1GB
    To be fair, compared to Public under Telus, Koodo offers better phones and a better selection of phones, a Tab, roaming outside of Canada, and non-throttled data speeds, so there is at least some perceivable benefit to going with Koodo over Public, though, admittedly, at a higher cost.

I agree with you that Public's $40/month deal was probably one of the best deals in Canada, but Telus crippled Public enough to not make it appear so, and now they've just more or less killed the brand altogether to finish things off.

Bear in mind that Telus' promise before the purchase was to keep the $19/month plan until Q1 of 2015. So far they are keeping their promise.

Device(s)
    ZTE N861
    Feedback Score
    We went from Unlimited Data to Zero data....From a greater selection of phones to Zero selection. In a few months the 19 dollar plan will be history. Judging from the Support forums Customer Service and waiting times are horrible. What the hell is left ? Telus has butchered Public Mobile. The CRTC just stood back and let it happen.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gp26 View Post
    We went from Unlimited Data to Zero data....From a greater selection of phones to Zero selection. In a few months the 19 dollar plan will be history. Judging from the Support forums Customer Service and waiting times are horrible. What the hell is left ? Telus has butchered Public Mobile. The CRTC just stood back and let it happen.
    Which I am somewhat happy about, in a warped way.
    The competition bureau and Federal Government will have a leg to stand on if/when other carriers take them to court for not being able to purchase Wind/Mobi. They can just point to Public as a case story as to what will happen to competition if it is allowed to happen. Good going Telus.

Even Public's social media department has given up. Post any negative comment and they wont even acknowledge it, only simple questions they may answer.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think there was never any question about that. Who would sign up with Koodo today if PM still offered $40 for 1GB with the Telus footprint, except for the most uninformed (and it wouldn't take long before there was a mainstream article about this fantastic new PM service)?

=aw
    Oh yeah & dont forget all the other bonuses offered by Public that are unheard of on other carriers

Cheapest Koodo plan for unlimited calls (which also did include 1GB data) is $60 vs Public at $40
    Koodo cheaps out with 3 lousy voicemails compared to Public with 35
    Koodo charges extra for call forwarding which Public throws in
    Koodo has craptastic prepay plans while Public offers prepay plans better than Koodo monthly (credit check) offerings
    Public SIMs were always free

Device(s)
    Leeco x527 Le 2,Xiaomi Redmi note 3 Pro Snapdragon 650,LG G3's for wife,daughter and son :)
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin, HOT mobile Israel.
    Feedback Score
    I can explain that the $25 plan is better than anything she can get elsewhere for <$50,
    =aw
    Actually Chat-r has the same unlimited talk for $25- but it only includes 50 outgoing texts.
    Instructions for the $48- 5 GB sk/mb Koodo plan, get it anywhere in Canada!!:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...here-in-Canada

Phones using: Leeco x527 Le 2, CM14 Android Nougat 7.0 with pixel launcher Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro Snapdragon 650, Lg G3's for wife,daughter and son

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ijcy View Post
    Actually Chat-r has the same unlimited talk for $25- but it only includes 50 outgoing texts.
    Voicemail: 25˘ retrieval charge per minute

To me this is a spit in the face. I understand why it is done, but it has disrespect written all over it.

Device(s)
    Leeco x527 Le 2,Xiaomi Redmi note 3 Pro Snapdragon 650,LG G3's for wife,daughter and son :)
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin, HOT mobile Israel.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MorsVincitOmnia View Post
    Voicemail: 25˘ retrieval charge per minute

To me this is a spit in the face. I understand why it is done, but it has disrespect written all over it.
    Absolutely i was just letting the poster know there are other unlimited talk plans at $25- i wouldn't recommend chat-r to anyone really.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Chatr sucks, limited texts and voicemail charges as was mentioned, as well as only province wide calling vs Publics Canada wide if that is needed by a person. Not to mention sucky zones.

I remember not just a few years ago the $18 base plans with 200 minutes, evenings and weekends at 6, all value packs included, and the ability to add $30 for 6GB and still get credits on top of that with all carriers.
    Anything over $40 was considered a ripoff.

Now we salivate over anything below $100 with just a little bit of data thrown in. What a disgrace
    Last edited by D-layer; 09-04-2014 at 04:24 AM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ijcy View Post
    Chatr has no long distance & they hamstring your coverage

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by D-layer View Post
    I remember not just a few years ago the $18 base plans with 200 minutes, evenings and weekends at 6, all value packs included, and the ability to add $30 for 6GB and still get credits on top of that with all carriers.
    Anything over $40 was considered a ripoff.
    What a disgrace
    Selective memory

None of the carriers included value packs (until AFTER death of the system access fees) & even then most cheaped out with 3 voice mail systems

I still remember what a great deal the old Fido plan I found was; $40 for 150 minutes (with free long distance even!) 5pm night, free incoming + 200mb Blackberry data
    I ported my Bell line over right away (lol)

Excluding a span of about 6 months where prices went crazy (eg Fido $56 plan) they were never that cheap (esp when paying +$12 or +$20 for addon packs)

Carrier(s)
    Public, TMo PP, H2O
    Feedback Score
    My Telus commitment is up on Oct 29 and I was thinking of switching to PM and $40/mo, which now isn't an option.

Right now I think the best I can get is to take a Montreal number: Koodo UL talk&text plus 1GB for $45/mo ($50-10% BYOD). That's not terribly worse than the $40 from PM, though I don't know about differences in details (cost of SIM, VM3 vs VM35, etc.). Fido appears to have the same thing at $49-10%(BYOD), and Virgin Mobile is $50-10% BYOD.

Don't know if I have to have a QC billing address or just a QC number, though I can get a friend to sign up for me. My current Telus plan was AB/BC only and I got it (in 2011) with a 403 number and ON billing address.

I'd prefer a little more data than 1GB, but probably no longer need 6GB (ended up on Rogers not TekSavvy, so if the home internet goes down, it's likely to be for shorter periods since I won't be caught in the middle of Rogers screwing TekSavvy).

Are there any other plans (including regional promos) I should consider?

=aw
    Last edited by awebber; 09-05-2014 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Fixed typo

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast