Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Can I get the $40 Canada Wide Plan 1Gb Data as a New Customer?

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z30, Blackberry Q10, Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by awebber View Post
    My Telus commitment is up on Oct 29 and I was thinking of switching to PM and $40/mo, which now isn't an option.
    The Public plans are all available
    Just need to activate your SIM then do online plan change
    It is sad I need to state the obvious but some people just don't get it. Any posts I make are my own OPINIONS and in no way represent the views of my employer

Carrier(s)
    Public, TMo PP, H2O
    Feedback Score
    I know that's how it worked (and that you lose the initial $19 you paid on activation) but I'm concerned about new activations and I'm getting contradictory advice.

I asked the same question over on PM forums and got an answer essentially saying that activations now will not be able to get data. Then I got an email back from PM that said
    You will be able to switch to a plan that includes data after you have remained a customer in good standing for a month or more. Data add-ons are only available if you already have data included in your plan.
    which suggests that (a) you can't just get a booster on the $25 plan, which you could before, and (b) you may actually have to wait for that first month to end before you can switch? Note that I'm talking about new activations after Sep 1, has anyone here successfully moved to a data plan (or even seen the option) on a SIM they activated in September?

BTW I requested (ordered) my free PM SIM on Wed and it came in the mail today (Fri).

Since I have to give 30 days notice to Telus anyway, and I lose the first month payment to PM when I switch anyway, maybe on Sep 29 I'll give Telus my 30 days notice AND activate my PM SIM on $19 plan, then 30 days later try to switch to the $40 plan.

=aw

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by awebber View Post
    which suggests that (a) you can't just get a booster on the $25 plan, which you could before, and (b) you may actually have to wait for that first month to end before you can switch? Note that I'm talking about new activations after Sep 1, has anyone here successfully moved to a data plan (or even seen the option) on a SIM they activated in September?
    Not really
    The reason they (and Publics own billing system) gives you the warning is because the second you switch you need to top up

eg
    You activate SIM today (Sep 6) on $25 plan
    Tomorrow you change to $40 plan
    Doing so causes your service to cancel for lack of a better term, you now need to pay an additional $40 to top up on Sep 7 for 30 days of service

That's what most are warning you about (or they are mistaken)

Feedback Score
    Just activated today: I was able select the $40 plan while activating today morning. Data is working fine after I added the apn settings.

Carrier(s)
    Public, TMo PP, H2O
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the data point. I hope this is how it still works when I switch to PM and not just a case of the systems not catching up to new policies.

What's nice about going straight to $40 plan is that you didn't have to detour through the $19 plan (which would have made the $19 effectively a SIM fee).

=aw

Carrier(s)
    Public, TMo PP, H2O
    Feedback Score
    It's also interesting that they say they only ship SIM cards to ON or QC (but not restricted to the old PM footprint). And no PO boxes, even though it just comes in a #10 envelope by Canada Post (usually a no-PO-Box restriction is because they're using UPS).

Delivery About the shipping address. It’s got to be in Ontario or Quebec – order addresses outside of these two provinces can’t be processed. We also can’t ship to P.O. Boxes.
    =aw

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Wonder why no PO box?

Maybe they try to do some validation before shipping?

Carrier(s)
    Public, TMo PP, H2O
    Feedback Score
    I thought about it and I'm thinking the store was set up for past sales of handsets*, where some items (SIMs) would go by post and some items (handsets) would go by UPS or Canada Post/Purolator parcels and where they'd want a physical address.

[*and theoretically future, though I expected none of us thinks that will happen]

I'm thinking of pushing Moto G handsets on my friends who might sign up for PM (either with or without data). The new one is U$179 (shipped to US) and the old one is now only U$160 from Amazon with Prime (both 8GB). Obviously these both require a US shipping address but if you have that ability (either through family or something like UPS Store), I think the Moto G is a good no-frills fit for a no-frills service like PM, as long as the latter lasts. And I think the US GSM version of the Moto G would work with Wind/Mobilicity/Videotron as well as Bell/Rogers/Telus because it's 3G on TMobile US (1700 AWS) and on AT&T should Telus further degrade the PM service/value.

=aw

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    @awebber - but even big3 (eg Bell) will ship handsets like iPhones to anonymous PO boxes
    Strange that Public would be so strict (since big3 are 3 year contract much higher chance of fraud vs Public which is prepay)

Carrier(s)
    Public, TMo PP, H2O
    Feedback Score
    Sure, I was just thinking that if they used UPS (for example) then a PO Box isn't an option. Since they now only offer SIMs (sent by 1st class in a #10 envelope) who knows.

=aw

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Public Mobile
    Feedback Score
    is the 40$ plan still available? can i get a sim shipped to Calgary?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markj View Post
    No you cannot get it anymore

Device(s)
    Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    1. When you activate your account online, the plan is still available in the list of plans/add-ons.
    2. SIM card will be shipped to only Ontario/Quebec address.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markj View Post
    Plan is still available but no to AB shipping

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Public Mobile
    Feedback Score
    does anyone have a sim they could send to me in Calgary pm please

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast