Thread: LTE toggle missing on iPhone 5S

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score

LTE toggle missing on iPhone 5S

My friend is travelling in the States with his CDN factory unlocked iPhone 5S. He did pay the $1.95 to upgrade to an LTE SIM and activated LTE on his Roam Mobility account, however, failed to notice that he needed a nano SIM and ended up with a micro or mini. Once in Seattle he took it to a cell repair shop and got it cut down to nano for $5.

Anyway he his getting 3G/2G in Seattle but no LTE. Moreover in the networks menu there is a 3G switch but no LTE switch. Seems to me iOS is not even attempting to look for LTE at all. Is there any sort of update that can be applied, carrier bundle or such, that would enable the LTE switch? He did apply the Roam mobileconfig file already.

Feedback Score
    I travel a fair bit in the US and have the same problem. Depending on who you talk to, Roam is either ignoring or addressing the problem. When I phoned the help desk they said they were aware of the problem and were working on it, but had no estimated fix time, but then in the next breath gave me the nonsensical advice to go consult with the Apple store. (Funny how all my other SIMs enable LTE just fine, but not Roam's!)

You can read more about it here: https://t.co/F65urFnOrd

I did see a tweet somewhere claiming the problem is that in Apple's eyes Roam is not an accredited LTE provider. I have no idea whether this is true or not, but it does fit the facts, including the missing LTE switch in the iPhone settings.

Dave Ings
    Last edited by ings; 09-16-2014 at 08:32 PM.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info. Based on Roam's own instructions that display a screenshot of the LTE switch, it would lead you to believe that some of the iPhones they've tested it with did indeed get LTE. I wonder if it's a fickle matter of which carrier bundles Apple has pushed to the device at various points in time, which determines whether the LTE switch will or won't appear with a Roam SIM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+ FIDO
    Feedback Score

LTE toggle missing on iPhone 5S

Emailed out today

iOS 8 Fixes LTE Issues with Apple Devices on Roam Mobility Network

http://www.roammobility.com/blog/ios...m_medium=email

Many Apple users have successfully upgraded their SIMs since we first announced our new 4G LTE network back in July, but have been unable to access LTE data speeds on their more recent trips to the USA.

This issue was not caused by Roam Mobility and has now been corrected by Apple Inc. with the release of their new iOS 8 mobile operating system, which was made available on September 17th, 2014.

With the enhancements made by Apple Inc. in iOS 8, Roam customers will now be able to access 4G LTE data service on their LTE-capable iOS 8 devices.

We strongly encourage all Roam customers to upgrade their Apple devices to iOS 8 now to ensure you have the best experience possible on our new 4G LTE network the next time you're in the USA.

For the customers that were affected by this issue while Apple Inc. was resolving it, we thank you for your patience and understanding.

Sent using Tapatalk
    FIDO Network

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    Aha! Thanks