Thread: Google Hangouts Gets Free VOIP Calls On Android

Feedback Score

Google Hangouts Gets Free VOIP Calls On Android

BREAKING NEWS
    Google Hangouts Gets Free VOIP Calls On Android

http://techcrunch.com/2014/09/10/goo...ee-voip-calls/

Google Hangouts already had free VOIP calls (to the USA and Canada) on IOS. But here's the big news: that feature is now in Google Hangouts for Android.

Thank you very much to afblangley, who broke this news (in another HoFo thread).
    Last edited by Pomgup; 09-13-2014 at 11:06 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pomgup View Post
    BREAKING NEWS
    [
    Google Hangouts already had free VOIP calls (to the USA and Canada) on IOS. But here's the big news: that feature is now in Google Hangouts for Android.
    Works very well. I've used it between the US and Canada for long phone calls. Clear as a bell and I'm on a slow wireless wi-fi.

Feedback Score
    Same experience here, I'm happy to say. GrooveIP never really worked all that well, by comparison.

via the HoFo App

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Works great. I love that now everything is integrated into one app. The hangouts interface is nice too. Haven't had a chance to try on my DSL connection at home, but on my Comcast 30mbps connection at work and on 4G LTE on AT&T, it works flawlessly. Calls are crystal clear and it's not a huge data hog. A 5 minute call on LTE only used 3.5 mb of data.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A
    Apple iPhone 5S - Cricket (AT&T)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Tracfone (Verizon)
    Samsung Galaxy Centura - Tracfone (Verizon)
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 - Harbor Mobile (T-Mobile)
    LG 440G - Tracfone (AT&T)
    Apple iPad 2 - WiFi only

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); Moto G (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Nice updates! I'm having a problem, however. I finally, by last Saturday (9/13), had found the check box to enable receiving calls via Hangouts, and it worked for a period of time (ringing both through Hangouts as well as the native phone app). By Sunday, that functionality had ceased to work for me, and I try a couple times everyday to see if it's been restored. No problem with outgoing or with texts or Hangouts messages. In checking for updates for both Hangouts, Hangouts Dialer, and the Google Voice app, I did have a recent GV update, to build 0.4.6.1. Oh, and btw, I just received a prompt about receiving GV SMS to Hangouts in my GV app (which was already available).

Bummer though, that this won't work on my Gingerbread phones. Maybe Talkatone will have a working app (again) for GV. No biggie though.

Update: Wow, I posted too soon! Incoming via Hangouts is now working again! Good deal.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yes, it's definitely a bummer that it doesn't work on gingerbread at all. Not even sideloading the apk works. I have a mytouch 4g that I like to pull out from time to time and only the original GV app works.

Feedback Score
    Hangouts works pretty well for a free app. But sometimes it just starts failing in the middle of a call. I get the warning window that states cancel or wait because the app is failing. Once after a 45 min call it wouldn't connect to a second call to a different number. Any one have any similar issues? BTW Have used Call+ once so far as a backup seems OK.
    Moto E 1st Gen 3g Selectel- $75 year
    LG Tribute HD- Tello Paygo
    Samsung Gusto- Selectel-$75 year
    Samsung Gusto- Page Plus $30 year

Feedback Score
    Where do you find this checkbox for receiving calls?

[QUOTE=whacker;15579527]Nice updates! I'm having a problem, however. I finally, by last Saturday (9/13), had found the check box to enable receiving calls via Hangouts, and it worked for a period of time (ringing both through Hangouts as well as the native phone app). By Sunday, that functionality had ceased to work for me, and I try a couple times everyday to see if it's been restored. No problem with outgoing or with texts or Hangouts messages. In checking for updates for both Hangouts, Hangouts Dialer, and the Google Voice app, I did have a recent GV update, to build 0.4.6.1. Oh, and btw, I just received a prompt about receiving GV SMS to Hangouts in my GV app (which was already available).

B

Feedback Score
    The issues I have are pretty annoying but it's still better than paying for additional minutes of cellular voice service.

In general one of two things will go wrong:

1) the other person will sound just fine to me, but they say my voice is garbled;
    2) the call will drop without warning.

These problems seem more frequent when I'm borrowing someone else's WiFi. For example, a few weeks ago I was trying to call someone using the free WiFi at a coffee shop, but ultimately we had to give up on VoIP and use the cellular network.

However, these issues still occur even when I'm on my home Internet connection, which is the fastest one Centurylink offers in my city. So it's just something I put up with.

Device(s)
    Note2/Oppo7a
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone $35
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMprepaid View Post
    The issues I have are pretty annoying but it's still better than paying for additional minutes of cellular voice service.

In general one of two things will go wrong:

1) the other person will sound just fine to me, but they say my voice is garbled;
    2) the call will drop without warning.

These problems seem more frequent when I'm borrowing someone else's WiFi. For example, a few weeks ago I was trying to call someone using the free WiFi at a coffee shop, but ultimately we had to give up on VoIP and use the cellular network.

However, these issues still occur even when I'm on my home Internet connection, which is the fastest one Centurylink offers in my city. So it's just something I put up with.
    That's my issue with voip on a data connection. It's the same with Skype, grooveip, magic app. 7 out 10 calls work pretty well. Also, the longer the calls goes on, the more likely my voice will drop out or get garbled. I'm starting to think the carrier are playing with voip packets. I

Houston/ Dallas/Irving, TX > Expat to India
    Device(s)
    T-Mobile MDA > T-Mobile DASH
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile/Voicestream
    Feedback Score
    I've been using Hangouts (app version from last year) on iPhone with my GV Numbers. I can make calls pretty fine over WiFi from outside the US. Tried a bit on 3G as well..

I want to be able to receive the calls as well.. atleast a notification ring on my iPhone.. Is it possible for newer versions of the App?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by crashnburn View Post
    I've been using Hangouts (app version from last year) on iPhone with my GV Numbers. I can make calls pretty fine over WiFi from outside the US. Tried a bit on 3G as well..

I want to be able to receive the calls as well.. atleast a notification ring on my iPhone.. Is it possible for newer versions of the App?
    It's been possible for a long time - long before the Android version of Hangouts.

I don't recall how the older versions were different, but if it's still graphically the same, on mine to access settings you click your avatar in the top center, then click the settings gear to the right of the avatar. There you should find an option for "Allow Calls" on WiFi and cellular. Below that, there's a "Phone number" section right above "Sync contacts". Click on Phone Number and you can turn on the "Incoming Phone Calls" option.
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...