Thread: Completely incapable of providing the service I paid for

Feedback Score

Exclamation Completely incapable of providing the service I paid for

Do not use Roam Mobility for data. I didn't get any service at all. This was a waste of money and a waste of time.

I was going on a 2-day trip to the US so I bought a SIM card to use the data plan since it seemed pretty cheap compared to a travel package with Telus. When I got there the voice and text were working but there was no data. After a day I called them, and after 20 minutes on the phone they said it was fixed. I just had to wait 10 minutes and restart my phone. I did that (several times) and still had no data for the rest of the day or the next day.

As I was in the airport leaving I called again to see if they would offer any compensation. They said it was fixed now (although I never did get data before I got on the plane) and offered a $3 refund after I spent $20 on the card, $13 on the plan, $2 for an upgrade, and $35 for internet access at the hotel because I wasn't getting what I paid for with Roam. Their reasoning was that the voice and texting did work so I got most of what I paid for. I did make a single one minute call and didn't send or receive text messages. They also said that if only I had called earlier they could have fixed it. Maybe they transferred me to an agent for another company the day before because that sure didn't fix it and they seemed to have no record of me calling.

At a total of $70 spent for that one minute call, using Roam is 46 times more expensive than the regular roaming costs with Telus. If you want any data service at all, or want competent customer support in case something goes wrong, just buy a SIM card from a US carrier.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    As much as I hate to pile on, this was similar to my experience recently in Las Vegas.

I had a 3/5 to 5/5 LTE signal almost all the time, so coverage was fine. But data didn't work. Unlike your experience, data actually *did* work for me sometimes. But not reliably. It worked maybe about 25% of the time. Forcing my phone to HSPA and even 2G didn't make any difference, it either worked or didn't work, regardless of what frequency I forced it to. Because data *did* work some of the time, I believe my phone was set up correctly.

Phone calls worked flawlessly, as did SMS. MMS didn't work at all, though I believe that's because their instructions on how to set it up were out-of-date (the instructions were for Windows Phone 8, and I'm on Windows Phone 8.1 which renamed some menu items and added others, and Roam's documentation hasn't kept current). As nice as MMS would have been, I was content without it. But the inconsistent data was a big downer.

So I actually did get some decent value out of it, but not enough to not wish I had paid more and got more with another provider. And every time I called in a customer service rep got to me in a reasonable period of time and they were very happy to help each time. I made enough phone calls, and sent enough SMSs, and did so flawlessly for both, that I don't feel too ripped off. But with the benefit of hindsight, I would have gone with AT&T Prepaid.

I wonder if the problem I experienced was Roam's in nature, or if it was T-Mobile. I ran into a person on the trip who was using T-Mobile's $3/day prepaid option and they also had problems with internet where it was terribly slow, didn't resolve, etc. That was in good HSPA coverage too, so it wasn't a coverage issue. Maybe T-Mobile's Las Vegas network is congested beyond words? Or their back-end in that area is terribly poor? I dunno.

Either way, it's not worth calling into Roam for a $3 refund. My time's more valuable than that, given I think it would take a lot of time to get that small reward. Last year I used AT&T GoPhone in that same area and everything was flawless, so that's likely what I'd do next time. I'm willing to pay a bit more, as long as I get more value out of it.
    Lumia 950 XL dual-SIM -- SIM slot 1: Rogers (small business flex data) -- SIM slot 2: Public Mobile ($120/12GB/90 day plan)

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    There's a thread that may relate: http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...sing-something

The second poster in this thread pointed out that all U.S. carriers purportedly prioritise data based on the source. Post-paid subscribers have the highest priority, then prepaid subscribers, then subscribers of subsidiary brands (MetroPCS in the case of T-Mobile), and then finally whatever's left gets doled out to MVNOs like Roam Mobility. This will only matter if there's congestion in an area, so my suspicion is that you and I both experienced network congestion during our trips.

That makes it easy. Next time I'm going to go with AT&T GoPhone, or possibly Cricket. AT&T not only has better coverage, it has more depth of spectrum too which will help with congestion, presuming they don't have so many more customers that the extra spectrum is just enough to compensate). Apparently GoPhone is on par with postpaid customers for AT&T, and I had a great experience on GoPhone last year. Wish I'd gone with it this year, knowing what I know now.

Feedback Score
    Yeah Roam is pretty brutal and never works for me. Got an email from the CEO they're hiring 40% more staff... More staff / less staff doesn't really matter if their product doesn't work.

The real shame here is a lot of people buy their SIM's at the airport, 7/11 and the like because its easy. Only to find out when the reach their destination their life line is cut off and doesn't *really* work.

Feedback Score
    I guess it isn't helpful to the posters above who experienced problems up to and including no service, but Roam has worked fine for me this year. I've made multiple trips to New York, Orlando, and San Francisco, while using Roam with an unlocked iPhone, and had voice, text and data work fine.

I *have* experienced the "no LTE switch" problem, now supposedly fixed in IOS 8 (I'll find out next time I travel to the US). I've also never successfully gotten iMessage working (activated) in the US, but since free SMS is included in the package I don't really care that much. I've never bothered to configure Roam MMS.

YMMV.

Dave Ings

Feedback Score
    I am in NYC this week and I'm happy to report that Roam LTE seems to be working fine (on iOS 8.1). Whether this is due to Apple or Roam I have no idea - but it worked for me. You need to turn on Settings -> Cellular -> Voice & Data -> LTE and then click through the warning about Roam LTE not being officially supported. Additionally, for the first time ever (for me), iMessage activated properly. Yeah!

The only caveat is that the Roam APN profile file they have somewhere on their Web site did not seem to work - it may be out of date. Instead, the manual instructions posted at http://www.roammobility.com/support/...artphones.html did the trick.

As always, YMMV.

Dave Ings

Feedback Score
    I was in San Francisco this week and Roam LTE and iMessage worked as well as NYC last week.

So it would seem that Roam and/or Apple have worked through their issues.

Dave Ings

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    I used Roam for 2 weeks in Carlsbad (near San Diego) in October on a Oneplus One. It was awesome!
    Data was fast, voice very reliable, I was very impressed.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    With all the success stories, I'll probably give Roam one more try on my next trip, despite my previous mixed results. I *want* it to work, and for Roam to succeed.
    Sent from my Lumia via the HoFo Windows Phone app

Feedback Score
    In the last two days I've been using Roam Mobility in Seattle, WA and Portland, OR and it's been working pretty good!

Feedback Score
    Check the coverage map wherever you want to spend some time and zoom in.
    You'll see data is quite a mixed bag unless you're in major built up areas.

Feedback Score
    Used Roam for 2 days in Washington and now in Miami. So far , no issues. I used to the T-Mobile pay by the day ($3 for 200mb / day) but now trying Roam. Seems fine so far

via the HoFo App