Thread: Data speeds on Docomo with unlocked T-Mobile Galaxy S5

Feedback Score

Data speeds on Docomo with unlocked T-Mobile Galaxy S5

I am using my unlocked T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S5 with Docomo, and have very slow data speeds, averaging 1.1 Mbps down and .6 Mbps up. I'm guessing that's a tad slower than normal for Docomo.

My phone displays 4G/LTE, but I'm not getting anything close to 4G or LTE speeds.

Is there anything I can do to improve my data speed? Are there any tweaks I can make to my phone to improve the data speed? I'm using moperaU APN (which I don't fully understand). If I bought a Docomo phone would I have faster data speeds?

Thanks.
    Last edited by tulsa40; 10-28-2014 at 07:39 PM.

Device(s)
    Sony Xperia Z5 Premium E6853
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA / T-Mobile Germany / Orange Poland /
    Feedback Score
    I think the Mopera APN has some restrictions. If you use the Open Mopera APN it may yield better speeds.

http://www.japanmobiletech.com/2011/...names-apn.html

It's all good (^_^)

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...668534-IonNuke <<< My Feedback... rising from the dead.

Everyone's on their own for hypersims. I'm out har har har har har~~~~

Feedback Score
    Thanks. APN is a bit of a foreign language for me, though. How do I set up Open Mopera APN on my Samsung Galaxy S5? (They set up the APN and the Docomo store, and I don't know how.)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    They probably gave you a restricted APN which makes sense. It's somewhere in your Mobile Networks settings.....way the heck in the settings option. i can probably conjure up some examples but I have a OnePlus One with Cyanogenmod so the menus are not going to match T-mobile branded device.

Feedback Score
    I fiddled around with settings and was able to connect via open.mopera.net.

Interesting, my speed varies anywhere from 1.17 down to 14.20 down and 6.21 to .11 up (painful!) Maybe it's location, or maybe it's some kind of unstable connection (the details are above my pay grade), but at least now with Open Mopera it's fast enough (much of the time) so that I don't need to have to have two phones, one for the US and one for Japan. Swapping SIMs is easier.

Thanks again.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tulsa40 View Post
    I fiddled around with settings and was able to connect via open.mopera.net.

Interesting, my speed varies anywhere from 1.17 down to 14.20 down and 6.21 to .11 up (painful!) Maybe it's location, or maybe it's some kind of unstable connection (the details are above my pay grade), but at least now with Open Mopera it's fast enough (much of the time) so that I don't need to have to have two phones, one for the US and one for Japan. Swapping SIMs is easier.

Thanks again.
    I've always just carried two phones. One for the US. And one for Taiwan/Japan but with the APNs saved in the travel phone.

Feedback Score
    Carrying two phones is an option. But it has downsides for me: Some apps, such as Line and Whatsapp, will only work on one phone at a time. My Android wear watch needs to be reset before it can be paired with another phone. In both the short and long run, it seems easier to just switch SIMs than to reset a variety of apps.

I'm tempted to get non-carrier Nexus 6 and swap US and Japan SIMs in that phone. I'm guessing (and any education here would be appreciated) that an Android phone that's not tied to a carrier, as my Galaxy S5 is to T-Mobile, will work better in Japan. I'm currently trying to decipher the bands that the US Nexus 6 uses and how they work in Japan.

According to Android Police, the American Nexus 6 uses these bands:

GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
    CDMA: Band Class: 0/1/10
    WCDMA: Bands: 1/2/4/5/8
    LTE: Bands: 2/3/4/5/7/12/13/17/25/26/29/41
    CA DL: Bands: B2-B13, B2-B17, B2-29, B4-B5, B4-B13, B4-B17, B4-B29