Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Created new PM account

Carrier(s)
    Public, TMo PP, H2O
    Feedback Score

Created new PM account

Today I activated a PM SIM in my Galaxy SIIx (unlocked Telus phone).

It went smoothly if slowly. All the PM plans were still offered ($19, $25, $40, $45, $60) as well as the $20 and $30 data boosters (offered on all plans). I went with $40 (U/L T&T plus 1GB) but a really low-data user could do well with the $25 (U/L T&T) plus $30 (1GB until used) Booster.

I'm coming off a Telus 6GB postpaid plan (most months 0.5-2GB without being too careful) so I'm paying $15/mo more for the $40 plan instead of the $25 plan. I'll come out ahead if I use 0.5-1GB each month (if the Booster lasts 2 months, the $25 plan would be $40 net; if the Booster stretches to 3 months, the $25 plan would be $35 net).

I wanted a new number and the only choices were GTA or Montreal area, presumably whatever the old network footprint was. I took Toronto. I assume you could port in a number from outside those areas? Don't know if an agent could assign a new number (which was the case in the old days with Speakout, where you got something local to the 7-11 where you bought the SIM, but they would change the number to anything on Rogers network, e.g. NB or elsewhere there were no 7-11s).

So far I'm getting timeouts (slow DNS RESOLVE) using Sensorly but I used to get that with my Telus SIM sometimes. Loading Google Maps with current traffic _feels_ as responsive as my Telus did (not LTE on Telus either).

My next billing date is Dec 2. I didn't set up auto-pay because I'm thinking of abandoning this SIM on Jan 1, then signing up again in April. Since the PM site seems to be somewhat unreliable, I'm thinking of making another CC payment of $45.20 in a week or so (didn't set up auto-pay) which would cover the Dec 2 billing. Then I don't have to worry the site will be down on Dec 2, and I don't have to worry they'll bill me Jan 1. Does that sound like it would work?

Screen captures of my sign-up process:

Name:  2014-11-02_1305(1).png
Views: 701
Size:  15.4 KB

Name:  2014-11-02_1306(1).png
Views: 706
Size:  28.3 KB

Name:  2014-11-02_1306(2).png
Views: 717
Size:  29.8 KB

Name:  2014-11-02_1306(3).png
Views: 692
Size:  29.8 KB

Name:  2014-11-02_1308.png
Views: 691
Size:  16.7 KB

Name:  2014-11-02_1313.png
Views: 702
Size:  16.0 KB

Thanks!
    =aw
    Last edited by awebber; 11-02-2014 at 02:49 PM.

Device(s)
    G3, M8, Nexus5, Note4
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo + Public Mobile (all prepaid)
    Feedback Score
    Don't forget (when you make that advance payment with your CC), you don't need to calculate taxes. If you need $40 added to your account, then simply top up with $40, taxes will be added to your CC billing, and your account will show +$40. No need to top up $45.20.

Carrier(s)
    Public, TMo PP, H2O
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the reminder. Sounds like I'll be okay to add this in a week or so, and then if I screw up and don't cancel on Jan 1, it will just sit idle right?

=aw

Device(s)
    G3, M8, Nexus5, Note4
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Well, it's prepaid, so letting sit idle does no harm. The only thing is, like Koodo prepaid, after your 30-day cycle is over, you have 90 days to top up again and resume service. On the 91st day, they will simply delete the account and you'll lose your phone numbers and any balance/addons you may have left in the account.

All in all, if you top up once every 120 days, you should be good (of those 120 days, 30 will have service, 90 without).

Carrier(s)
    Public, TMo PP, H2O
    Feedback Score
    Makes sense. I actually took a new number and the choice was greater Toronto or greater Montreal (647, 438, and I think maybe other area codes?). Hoping I can port in my old Rogers mobile number (on Rogers [1998-2011], voip.ms [2011-present]) which is 613. SIMs are free and I'm thinking it might be easier to self-serve a port-in with a new activation than to call and have an agent do it (I'm assuming there's no self-serve option later, but I haven't checked the self-serve website).

...actually I see an option to change phone number on the existing account (either port-in or get a new one). Don't know if there's a charge but there's no indication. Other area codes for new numbers include 289, 450, 579 (all in the old PM coverage area I believe).

Am I right that they can port in any number in the new coverage area? I put in a few for eligibility testing, a 613 (Ottawa, voip.ms) number returned the Wireline application form, a 954 (FL, TMo) returned "we are having difficulty", a 403 (AB, Telus) number returned "we are having difficulty", and a 514 (QC, Rogers Wireless) number returned the Wireless application form. I would have thought the Canadian numbers would have been eligible so I'm surprised about the 403 (maybe because it's Telus?).

Has anyone ported a number from voip.ms to Public Mobile? Any tricks in filling out the form?

Thanks!
    =aw

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z30, Blackberry Q10, Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Public has no charge for number changes

You can port in most out of market numbers (a US number of course will not work)
    It is sad I need to state the obvious but some people just don't get it. Any posts I make are my own OPINIONS and in no way represent the views of my employer

Carrier(s)
    Public, TMo PP, H2O
    Feedback Score
    Thank you. I used the TMo (US) number as a test to see what the site's response would be to a number that was not portable, and "call us" seemed reasonable. It was the 403 Telus number that surprised me, though maybe the clue is in the name "Telus".

If I let it go unpaid on Jan 1, I won't cancel but just let it sit there. When I'm ready to pay again I'll either reactivate and then port in, or I'll activate a new SIM and port in.

Has anyone ported in a Canadian number from voip.ms? I want to make sure I get the form filled right.

=aw

Device(s)
    G3, M8, Nexus5, Note4
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by awebber View Post
    Makes sense. I actually took a new number and the choice was greater Toronto or greater Montreal (647, 438, and I think maybe other area codes?). Hoping I can port in my old Rogers mobile number (on Rogers [1998-2011], voip.ms [2011-present]) which is 613. SIMs are free and I'm thinking it might be easier to self-serve a port-in with a new activation than to call and have an agent do it (I'm assuming there's no self-serve option later, but I haven't checked the self-serve website).

...actually I see an option to change phone number on the existing account (either port-in or get a new one). Don't know if there's a charge but there's no indication. Other area codes for new numbers include 289, 450, 579 (all in the old PM coverage area I believe).

Am I right that they can port in any number in the new coverage area? I put in a few for eligibility testing, a 613 (Ottawa, voip.ms) number returned the Wireline application form, a 954 (FL, TMo) returned "we are having difficulty", a 403 (AB, Telus) number returned "we are having difficulty", and a 514 (QC, Rogers Wireless) number returned the Wireless application form. I would have thought the Canadian numbers would have been eligible so I'm surprised about the 403 (maybe because it's Telus?).

Has anyone ported a number from voip.ms to Public Mobile? Any tricks in filling out the form?

Thanks!
    =aw
    My own PM number I ported out from VoIP.ms in an unsupported city, and it works just fine. Keep in mind that VoIP numbers are considered landline ports and take way more time to process as well as requiring exact address information.

Also, it's good to know that the only way to port in/out to/from Public Mobile and Koodo (prepaid only) is to call in to customer service. Since both are running from the same backend, the "system" won't allow porting in from itself and won't work through Self-Serve. Everything else seems to be working though (won't allow porting in US numbers, obviously). Same for the account: if you use Koodo prepaid and Public at the same time, make sure you use different credentials for their Self-Serve portals.

Device(s)
    G3, M8, Nexus5, Note4
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Has anyone ported in a Canadian number from voip.ms? I want to make sure I get the form filled right.

=aw
    Yes, my number was ported from VoIP.ms. Works just fine. Be aware VoIP.ms will charge you USD$25 for the privilege though (because they need to BUY the number from their provider to allow it to be ported out).

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z30, Blackberry Q10, Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thank you. I used the TMo (US) number as a test to see what the site's response would be to a number that was not portable, and "call us" seemed reasonable. It was the 403 Telus number that surprised me, though maybe the clue is in the name "Telus".
    Technically an intra-brand port is not a port, since number already in system
    (same idea as if you try porting Virgin/Solo to Bell)

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Public Mobile
    Feedback Score
    so i finally tracked down a sim but it seems it's not possible to port my mobilicity 403 #? has anyone done this?

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo & Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    Yes. I ported a BC number in July.
    Un-Rogered, and getting better 'value'.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Public Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CGY Guy View Post
    Yes. I ported a BC number in July.
    thanks I'm waiting until Dec 1 to see what happens with mobilicity...

Feedback Score
    Hi guys, I'm thinking of porting over to Public from Koodo postpaid. I've read on another thread that are problems porting a number from Koodo prepaid to Public since they both use the same back end. Does anyone know if I'll have a problem porting my number from Koodo postpaid to Public?

I'm also looking to go on the Canada and U.S. talk and text 2GB plan. I know the OP of this thread said that all plans are available to new customers, but I just wanted to confirm this is true since on Public's website, it states clearly that data plans are unavailable to new customers.

I was also wondering if I would have to use a credit card to make my first payment or if I could purchase a voucher instead and make my first payment that way.

Thank you in advance for any help and/or advice. Much appreciated!!

Device(s)
    Next Big Thing is Here
    Carrier(s)
    ell tabadorr
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by psteps View Post
    Hi guys, I'm thinking of porting over to Public from Koodo postpaid. I've read on another thread that are problems porting a number from Koodo prepaid to Public since they both use the same back end. Does anyone know if I'll have a problem porting my number from Koodo postpaid to Public?

I believe you have to call into Public mobile to complete the port. Also you'd have to register your PM online account with a different email address (can't use the one you have for koodo)

I'm also looking to go on the Canada and U.S. talk and text 2GB plan. I know the OP of this thread said that all plans are available to new customers, but I just wanted to confirm this is true since on Public's website, it states clearly that data plans are unavailable to new customers.

Plan is available when you sign up

I was also wondering if I would have to use a credit card to make my first payment or if I could purchase a voucher instead and make my first payment that way.

You can use CC

Thank you in advance for any help and/or advice. Much appreciated!!
    the 2GB/CANUS calling is $60, have you considered trying to get the koodo $55 SKMB 5GB and use google voice for US Calling? 49.5 since your bringing your own phone
    PQ Canada-Wide Plan - $56
    Unlimited Calling & Intl SMS/MMS
    8GB Shock free data
    CID - VM - CW - CC
    GV USA Calling
    RIP MB/SK 5GB 9/14-03/17

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast