Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Created new PM account

Device(s)
    G3, M8, Nexus5, Note4
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo + Public Mobile (all prepaid)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by psteps View Post
    Hi guys, I'm thinking of porting over to Public from Koodo postpaid. I've read on another thread that are problems porting a number from Koodo prepaid to Public since they both use the same back end. Does anyone know if I'll have a problem porting my number from Koodo postpaid to Public?
    Porting from Koodo postpaid will work without any hassle. Can be done online via Self-Serve too.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I actually wanted to pay with a voucher instead of a credit card. So is it possible for me to make my first payment when I sign up with a voucher? Or do I have to use a credit card? Thanks again for all the help!

Quote Originally Posted by o0vL View Post
    the 2GB/CANUS calling is $60, have you considered trying to get the koodo $55 SKMB 5GB and use google voice for US Calling? 49.5 since your bringing your own phone

Device(s)
    Next Big Thing is Here
    Carrier(s)
    ell tabadorr
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I actually wanted to pay with a voucher instead of a credit card. So is it possible for me to make my first payment when I sign up with a voucher? Or do I have to use a credit card? Thanks again for all the help!
    voucher is ok too. might have to buy more for taxes
    PQ Canada-Wide Plan - $56
    Unlimited Calling & Intl SMS/MMS
    8GB Shock free data
    CID - VM - CW - CC
    GV USA Calling
    RIP MB/SK 5GB 9/14-03/17

Carrier(s)
    Public, TMo PP, H2O
    Feedback Score
    Based on my past experience with 7-11 and Quickie prepaid plans, any tax will be collected when the voucher is purchased (e.g. store will charge $45.20 for a $40 voucher). I assume psteps is in ON not QC.

Device(s)
    G3, M8, Nexus5, Note4
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by awebber View Post
    Based on my past experience with 7-11 and Quickie prepaid plans, any tax will be collected when the voucher is purchased (e.g. store will charge $45.20 for a $40 voucher). I assume psteps is in ON not QC.
    This is correct. Taxes are charged at the time of voucher purchase. So if you're planning to use the $40 plan, you buy a $40 voucher.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the help. One last question. Will be port over from Koodo postpaid to Public Mobile be instant? If I do it through self-serve, can it be done after hours at night and will it go through right away? Or will the port be done when during office hours when both sides have someone in the office? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by TopperCNC View Post
    Porting from Koodo postpaid will work without any hassle. Can be done online via Self-Serve too.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo & Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    Porting can take up to a few hours, with mixed service. Try to do it earlier, rather than later in case the system goes down for maintenance.
    Un-Rogered, and getting better 'value'.

Device(s)
    G3, M8, Nexus5, Note4
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the help. One last question. Will be port over from Koodo postpaid to Public Mobile be instant? If I do it through self-serve, can it be done after hours at night and will it go through right away? Or will the port be done when during office hours when both sides have someone in the office? Thanks.
    In my own personal case, anything ported from within the Telus family (that included Koodo and PM) took about 15 minutes to port over. I also ported a DID from VoIP.ms and this one took 2 full days, but these are considered landline numbers and need to have matching address on file and all that. Haven't ported a wireless number from Rogers/Bell.

Carrier(s)
    Public, TMo PP, H2O
    Feedback Score
    I'm into my second month on the $40/mo plan, I made a manual CC payment a week before renewal. Didn't set up autopay because I'll probably abandon this number when it's due for renewal on Jan 1.

I've now received TWO texts from PM inviting me to set up autopay and offering me 500MB if I go on autopay (I assume making one month 1.5GB, not a 500MB Booster which would be so cool). So it may be worth sticking with manual pay for a couple of months rather than jumping straight to autopay.

That said, I figure I used ~450MB of data the first month. I'm being more careful than when I had 6GB on Telus, but I typically leave 4G on when I'm not at home (so "careful" means not automatically downloading full emails, or pictures, or whatever, when I'm on 4G). But I do have K-9 checking mail every 10min and downloading the first x MB of the email. So 1.5GB vs 1GB would probably make no difference in my life. But if I had a Booster that I was sometimes tapping into and end of month, I'd appreciate the 500MB.

=aw

Feedback Score
    Hi, been a long while since i went through the process of looking for a plan. My dad is on a $75ish month2month plan with telus. own the phone outright. Looking for a cheaper plan and the mentioned 40$/1gb plan would be ideal for him.
    So what is the process of doing this? the website list no number to call or anything.

Carrier(s)
    Public, TMo PP, H2O
    Feedback Score
    Go to PM website and order a free SIM of the right size (standard, micro, nano). When it comes, follow instructions to activate on their website. They advertise the $40, $45, and $60 plans are not offered to new customers but in fact they are (see my screenshots in post #1 [?]). If somehow they've actually dropped plans with data by the time he gets his SIM, you won't have lost anything.

I assume your father's in Toronto so it should be straightforward - they only ship to ON and QC and only issue new numbers in GTA and Montreal (and a couple of other places in QC). I signed up with a new number and took Toronto (planning to abandon that SIM on Jan 1 and re-sign in a couple of months, at which time I'll port in one of my 613 numbers from voip.ms

If he wants to port in his current Telus number I'm not sure if it's tricky coming from Telus or not, check the thread above and probably try to use a different email address (different than his Telus address) when you set up his account if you're porting in. There are others here with more knowledge of the porting limitations.

When's his next billing cycle finished? If you're trying to get him set up on PM before then, be aware that the SIMs usually ship almost immediately, but at one point I had to wait a couple of weeks for two micro SIMs.

=aw

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z30, Blackberry Q10, Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Porting in from Telus is not hard but often requires you to call in to Public customer service
    It is sad I need to state the obvious but some people just don't get it. Any posts I make are my own OPINIONS and in no way represent the views of my employer

Device(s)
    G3, M8, Nexus5, Note4
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by awebber View Post
    I've now received TWO texts from PM inviting me to set up autopay and offering me 500MB if I go on autopay (I assume making one month 1.5GB, not a 500MB Booster which would be so cool).
    I'd just like to mention, it IS a 500MB addon (booster) that is given for enabling automatic top ups!

Name:  Screenshot 2014-12-20 at 15.28.37.png
Views: 235
Size:  20.6 KB

Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    When I ordered my sim card it took 2 weeks for me to receive it in Toronto. I also ordered 2 sim cars but only 1 came. There are other threads discussing plans might change or get dropped after Jan 12 so if @310toronto intend to sign up better do it before the date.
    Current Phone & Plan
    LG G3
    $39 Smart Plan + tax = 44.07
    450 daytime minute + 600Mb

Feedback Score
    useful note~ thanks dude!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2