Thread: Purchasing an Authorized Retailer in Northeast

Feedback Score

Purchasing an Authorized Retailer in Northeast

Hello, I am in the process of purchasing an Authorized Retailer under Moorehead in the Northeast area.

The store is less than a year old and is currently breaking even bringing in about 50 total activations per month. (25 New/25 Upgrades). 1 part time employee with 1 full time employee.

Still working on learning the system and everything but just wanted to get some feedback before I pull the trigger and appreciate any and all of the help/knowledge that anyone may provide.

Experiences with Moorehead? Direction of the industry in general? Difference between an authorized and premium retailer? Has there never been residual working under a Master Dealer such as Moorehead?

Any other feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    I would try and spend a couple days with another agent-owner in your area. This is a very big decision and you would benefit greatly from the insights you can gain from the "real world". Ask your prospective account manager for an intro, or just find someone yourself.

Secondly, I strongly suggest your business plan expand well beyond VZW. Being totally dependent on one account (VZW) who holds almost complete power over your business is just plain not smart.

Lastly, this industry is in a contraction and consolidation mode. Perhaps this is a great store you are considering, but it will need to be to if you want to go beyond buying yourself a job.

Good luck!

Feedback Score
    I hate to say it but if doing it Moorehead is a good one to do it with. I've heard there are no franchise fees and they only take a small percentage off the commission for themselves.

Those are pretty low numbers. I'm in a small small town and do a few more new lines than that per month and over double that number of upgrades. You need to shoot for 40 new lines per month. Upgrades should be about 2 to 1 so 65-80 upgrades per month if 40 new lines.

I make awesome money but it's myself, my spouse, and one employee that's 100% commission. We also sell our own insurance, DirecTV and things like that to bring in additional money.

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    Run away, use that money and invest in a restaurant or a bar.. Or a hut that sells beers.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the feedback everybody.

reddragonprodz, what are you basing your comment on? Have you worked with Moorehead before?

We are able to sell fios equipment but the commission on that is much smaller i believe. Are all dealers essentially under the big 6 at this point?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    NO all dealers are not under Big 6.

Many past and present agent owners have not had a good experience with the Big V. Others have done decently, but it has not come easily for any of us, trust me. If you create a good business plan and can make the numbers work (knowing commissions are going down 2-5%/year) then you could create a nice little small business.

Have you considered high end home automation/home theater/surveillance cameras/central vac? These guys make a freaking ton once they get a few high end contractors to work with. The margins are quite healthy and you are serving the rich who want their toys, and if you are their guy, they will pay handsomely to furnish them with the latest stuff so they are cooler than their other rich friends. Make Verizon/FIOS/DIRECTV etc a way to make contacts and to convert them into where the real money is located. Peddling phones should only be the start.

Feedback Score

I can give you great advice shoot me a text message

Have over 6 years experience with Verizon as a District Manager, shoot me a txt message we can discuss this further jkang1010

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by jkang1010 View Post
    Hello, I am in the process of purchasing an Authorized Retailer under Moorehead in the Northeast area.

The store is less than a year old and is currently breaking even bringing in about 50 total activations per month. (25 New/25 Upgrades). 1 part time employee with 1 full time employee.

Still working on learning the system and everything but just wanted to get some feedback before I pull the trigger and appreciate any and all of the help/knowledge that anyone may provide.

Experiences with Moorehead? Direction of the industry in general? Difference between an authorized and premium retailer? Has there never been residual working under a Master Dealer such as Moorehead?

Thank you.

Feedback Score

Go for it

Experience with Moorehead:

We work as a sub agent for moorehead, when you work as a sub there always will be an issue,
    but overall Moorehead genuinely cares about their subs, for obivious reason. They tend to be responsive
    and try to work out issues before they come up.
    They also offer generious net terms.

Residual are gone, bye bye

Industry: Consolidating, if your strong you eat, if your weak you talk about opening a video camera service.
    Its rough if you don't have your **** together.

General feedback:

50 boxes depending on your lease tend to border on slowly cutting yourself, to feel pain.
    In order to eat you need to do at-least 100 boxes, start doing 150 boxes and more and you'll
    consider opening a 2nd store.

If your intention is to open 1 store and do well, get a job cause that's what your buying a job.

If you do around 150 200 boxes, you'll be able to make a comfortable living for yourself even with 1 store,
    long as you manage your people and control your expense.
    Remember if you run out of phones your dead...... Never run out of phones........ That car can wait another year....

If you would like to open a store ask yourself 3 questions.

1. Am a good at this.

2. Do I enjoy doing this

3. Does it make me money

If your answer to all 3 of these questions are a yes, then go for it man, forget about the people who dought,
    fear, and hate. If it works awsome if it dosent work - get up and try something different.

I wish you the best.

Quote Originally Posted by jkang1010 View Post

Thank you.

Feedback Score
    nvm didn't realize this is an OLD topic.
    Last edited by zapjb; 02-11-2015 at 12:45 AM.
    As a US citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude.

Fascism is here led by a hypersensitive psychopathic dictator having complete power, obsessively suppressing criticism, regimenting industry & commerce. Emboldening racism & aggressive nationalism.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $255yr UTnT 3GB
    AirVoice (AT&T) $20mo UTnT 50MB
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp ext
    Tello (Sprint) $5 1+call/3mo=no exp x2

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I'd stay out of the Agent biz...no money unless you are a super star