Thread: Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE - cause of slow data?

Feedback Score

Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE - cause of slow data?

I keep hearing about spark and how tri bands help with speeds. I dont really understand all this tech stuff, but my photon lte phone has terrible speeds. Both 3g and LTE in most areas. In some areas I get LTE outside but do not get it inside buildings. In vegas I get full LTE signal but LTE is so slow I need to change to 3g only browse basic websites.

Would a spark phone help in either of these situations?

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Potentially.

Legacy LTE devices (like your Photon Q) are effectively "3G-like data only", in that they only connect to Sprint's slowest LTE band, so they typically have the worst data performance, especially in urban areas (like Vegas).

A Spark device would allow you to use all three LTE bands, so you could get slightly better indoor coverage, and noticeably better speeds outdoors. It's not a perfect fix, but it's a noticeable improvement.

You really need a Spark phone to use Sprint data properly. Otherwise, your missing 60+% of the data network you pay for every month.

Here's a quick summary of the options available to you in Vegas - http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/rsr/las-vegas-nv (it's about 9 months old, but otherwise accurate. A new report should arrive pretty soon here). You should expect to get that level of performance from Sprint in Vegas, once you've upgraded to a Spark device.