Thread: Windows Phone settings for Roam

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score

Windows Phone settings for Roam

Has anyone successfully used a Windows Phone running 8.1 on Roam Mobility? I'm trying to set things up and they helpfully have instructions for Windows 8.0, but several options were added in the cellular section of settings, and some of the options were renamed, making them difficult to parse. If there were only new options, or the options were only renamed, I'd probably be able to figure it out. It's the two together that makes it tough. This is on a Lumia 920.

I see they now recommend using downloading "Access Point" from the store for setting up Lumias for their service, any experience with that?
    Lumia 950 XL dual-SIM -- SIM slot 1: Rogers (small business flex data) -- SIM slot 2: Public Mobile ($120/12GB/90 day plan)

Device(s)
    Nokia L1520.3, Redmi Note3SE, iPhone7+
    Carrier(s)
    Public Mobile, Speakout, Roam
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As long as you don't have T-Mobile APN setting on your Access Point, it will work without any problem. I've Lumia 920 running Win 8.1 too, and I need to uninstall Access Point due to I've both T-Mobile & Roam APN settings there. I've to uninstall Access Point, change into Roam sim, and then reboot my 920. Even without Access Point, you can modify the APN settings for Roam, and everything works.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yogababe View Post
    As long as you don't have T-Mobile APN setting on your Access Point, it will work without any problem. I've Lumia 920 running Win 8.1 too, and I need to uninstall Access Point due to I've both T-Mobile & Roam APN settings there. I've to uninstall Access Point, change into Roam sim, and then reboot my 920. Even without Access Point, you can modify the APN settings for Roam, and everything works.
    I had trouble setting up Roam's APN correctly in Windows Phone 8.1 correctly, because there were more menu options added (and some existing ones renamed) making it difficult to parse the old WP8.0 entries into the new ones. However, with neither T-Mobile or Roam APNs set up, I downloaded Access Point and it seemed to work fine (though the name in Access Point said "T-Mobile" not "Roam). I won't know for sure until I get to test it in the U.S.

Can you share with me your APN settings for Roam? I'd appreciate it! I was able to get data to sort of work, but couldn't get MMS to work at all.
    Last edited by Steven Hurdle; 12-22-2014 at 06:05 PM.

Device(s)
    Nokia L1520.3, Redmi Note3SE, iPhone7+
    Carrier(s)
    Public Mobile, Speakout, Roam
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I was in the States last month to pick up a Lumia 1520, and set it up with Roam sim without any problem. According to Data Sense, I've used 1.1 GB of data to setup the phone, so data is definitely working and I didn't bother using the slow Wifi from hotel. When I inserted the sim card, it asked me to choose a profile, so I picked T-Mobile, and then I modified the apn & mms and removed T-Mobile profile, set Data Roaming to ON is a must, and reboot the phone. Mind you Access Point is not working on Lumia 1520, so you have to make the changes under mobile + SIM. My phone is running Denim right now.

Here is the setting I used which is on their website:
    Roam APN: wholesale
    - Select Settings
    - Select mobile+SIM
    - Select SIM settings
    - Select add Internet APN
    - Enter the word wholesale under the APN field
    - Press the save icon

The following settings are for picture messaging MMS and are optional

- Select add MMS APN
    - Enter the word wholesale under the APN field
    - Enter http://wholesale.mmsmvno.com/mms/wapenc under MMSC (URL)
    - Restart the device if data doesn't start working

BTW, I get rid of my old L920 due to the sim card slot not working issue. If you do a search, you will find out a lot of Lumia users having this issue too. Both of my Wind & Roam sim cards won't work, but Fido will work. Some said it's software issue, and some said it's the card slot fitting issue. That's the reason I'm getting a new phone with nano sim this time.
    Last edited by yogababe; 04-30-2015 at 12:25 AM.