Thread: Driving South from Canada to FL down one of the Interstates - Data Only Question

Feedback Score

Driving South from Canada to FL down one of the Interstates - Data Only Question

Hi folks. New here.

We are driving to the US for approximately 30 days.
    I have ordered the SIM and am planning to use Roam's 30 day data only plan in a cheapo unlocked Huawei Ascend Y530 configured as a hotspot for the family. We are staying in major cities and sticking to major highways.

It has HSPA+ but not LTE4G. I hope to get reasonable 3G-style speed in built up areas and most of the interstates and no doubt EDGE everywhere else.

I'm slightly confused over what data connections I can get with this type of phone.
    Have T-Mobile reduced their HSPA coverage in the last year or so?

T-Mobile
    Can of worms?
    Last edited by mangochutney; 12-27-2014 at 10:14 PM.

Feedback Score
    Perhaps I am doomed

Another option I am considering is to go all in and upadate my iphone 4 for future use - Purchase a Verizon unlocked iPhone 6 from a US Apple Store.
    Then looking into which data provider I can use with good coverage...

Device(s)
    Nexus 6p,iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score

Driving South from Canada to FL down one of the Interstates - Data Only Question

What HSPA bands does the Y530 support? HSPA on band 4/AWS makes a significant difference.

The route probably also matters. I am not at all familiar with the eastern US. You might get better info in the T-Mobile forum.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Feedback Score
    Hi mch, thanks for the assist. It is not an AWS phone unfortunately. I only expect 3G where I can get it:
    2G bands GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
    3G bands HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100
    HSDPA 900 / 2100
    Speed HSPA 21.1/5.76 Mbps
    GPRS Yes
    EDGE Yes

It's just the package I require is decent data for 30 days to be shared to three devices.

Wind looked great until I read you only get 1gig 'unlimited'. That wouldn't last. My next best is Roam for 5gig 30 days but coverage looks weak especially without AWS.
    Blimey this is tricky...
    Last edited by mangochutney; 12-29-2014 at 02:19 PM.

Feedback Score
    Ugh...Just found this out about Verizon:

Quote: HoFo - "Apple iPhones (reportedly) and 4G LTE phones are not allowed on any Prepaid plan."

So this brings me back to Roam, With an 'unlocked' Verizon iPhone6 with Roam SIM, I could get better (read: faster) data service along the interstates?

Device(s)
    Nexus 6p,iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score

Realistically, for this kind of drive, you are probably better off picking up a gophone SIM at an AT&T store after you cross the line. $60 will get you 2.5GB and overall the coverage will be likely be better in rural areas. After the 2.5GB data will be throttled to 128kbps.

With T-mobile, lack of band 4 HSPA combined with the lack of LTE will likely mean a lot of EDGE data.

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    This is exactly the info I was looking to get I appreciate it very much thank you.