Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Clearwire Future

Feedback Score

Clearwire Future

What is the latest and what is the future for Clear Internet? My next door neighbor has it and he tells me he knows nothing about it going away. I checked the website and it stated something about no new subscribers. Is there any chance that this will somehow be resurrected or is it just dying and on its last leg?

Device(s)
    T-Mobile BlackBerry Priv, VZW AC791L Jetpack, MoFi 4500 SIM4 V. 2 LTE Gateway
    Carrier(s)
    ▪T▪ ▪ ▪Mobile▪, Verizon Wireless, AT&T BLAST! Plan from 4ghsDOTcom
    Feedback Score
    Your question was actually answered a couple months ago in another thread. Here you go:
    Quote Originally Posted by 503ducati View Post
    'Leaked newsletter shows Sprint will shut down WiMax network on Nov. 6, 2015'

http://www.androidcentral.com/leaked...ork-nov-6-2015
    So, keep on enjoying your Clear account for the next 10 months. But you'll need to have another solution in place by November 5th, 2015, because come November 6th, WiMAX will be HISTORY.

If you follow the link above, you'll see that Sprint DOES plan to offer us "no or low cost comparable devices on Sprint's LTE Network", but they still have not announced what rate plans we'll be offered.
    Photobucket's policy changes SUCK!

New signature coming soon-ish...

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Feedback Score
    I have a different variation on the same problem:

I just got the email yesterday that Clear email accounts will be deactivated on April 15, 2015. Maybe a lot of folks never used their Clear or Clearwire email boxes, but I did. I'm an independent contractor and that was my business email account. I now have to change to something else and let all my customers know.

I stopped using Clearwire for my home internet 3 years ago (been their customer for 7), but kept the awesome Clearwire 4G Mobile USB device for accessing the Internet on my laptop while on the road, and kept the clearwire.net email address for my customers to reach me.

So while my USB device will become useless on Nov. 6, I really have to make the change by April 15. Yet Sprint has announced no device or plan offerings for me, and probably won't by then.

I don't even know what my data usage is on the 4G Mobile USB, because I never needed to know! It's always been unlimited.

Clearly (pardon the pun), I'm having to go shopping.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gas28man View Post
    Anyone have any suggestions?
    For starters, log into your Clear Account and check-out your recent usage to get an idea of what your average is. Then check-out Sprint's plans, and T-Mobile's as well. They seem to have the fairest plans around right now... if you leave out Clear, that is.

Device(s)
    Moto G4, Novatel 7730L, ZTE Mobley, StarTAC
    Carrier(s)
    Viaero, Commnet, VZW, AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I've called clearwire and sprint asking about what's going to happen to us. There is no information to pass at this time.

I hope they will give us the same rate plans on the Sprint Spark TDD-LTE network. They've been robbing Wimax channels in my market for Spark. It looks like Spark LTE has upwards of 120MHz now; there are only 4 advertised 10MHz wimax channels on my field test mode now (down from dozens a few months ago).

$42/month for about 50GB of usage on clearwire would cost a lot more on a current Sprint plan (i'm calculating about $400/month). Sprint isn't offering any mobile broadband tier in excess of 30GB (for $110/month) right now. That's not comparable to a unlimited home internet clearwire tier with a fair use policy that allows 100+GB. They will still activate these unlimited clearwire plans if you find a used clearwire modem from a 3rd party (think ebay or craigslist). I think they continue to activate clearwire simply to meet the build out requirement of the EBS, BRS band.

https://community.sprint.com/baw/message/770164

Lots of bill shock going on with Sprint mobile broadband. It would be difficult to accept modern pricing after having clearwire unlimited broadband that's priced similar to cable and DSL internet.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by E_tron View Post
    I've called clearwire and sprint asking about what's going to happen to us. There is no information to pass at this time.

I hope they will give us the same rate plans on the Sprint Spark TDD-LTE network. They've been robbing Wimax channels in my market for Spark. It looks like Spark LTE has upwards of 120MHz now; there are only 4 advertised 10MHz wimax channels on my field test mode now (down from dozens a few months ago).

$42/month for about 50GB of usage on clearwire would cost a lot more on a current Sprint plan (i'm calculating about $400/month). Sprint isn't offering any mobile broadband tier in excess of 30GB (for $110/month) right now. That's not comparable to a unlimited home internet clearwire tier with a fair use policy that allows 100+GB. They will still activate these unlimited clearwire plans if you find a used clearwire modem from a 3rd party (think ebay or craigslist). I think they continue to activate clearwire simply to meet the build out requirement of the EBS, BRS band.

https://community.sprint.com/baw/message/770164

Lots of bill shock going on with Sprint mobile broadband. It would be difficult to accept modern pricing after having clearwire unlimited broadband that's priced similar to cable and DSL internet.
    You need to check out the multi-line shared data plans available with Sprint's new Sprint Spark Home/Office LTE Router. You can do that HERE. You can get up to 220GB a month, shared between 2 or more devices, at prices that AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile can't touch! So, if you'll have at least 2 lines/devices, this will be the way to go. Since I have 3 Clear devices on one account, it's the only option that will work if Sprint DOESN'T let me keep unlimited data when they move me over to the LTE devices.

EDIT: Huh. Now I'm not seeing the plans I saw both online and in the store just a couple weeks ago. It seems they went so high because there was a special promo to double the amount of data you got, but there was no indication of that promo expiring anytime soon. But now I can't get those plans to pull up on their website. Best to visit a store and ask for more assistance.

Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I am going to need a solution as well. I use the USB modem as my primary internet connection. There simply is NOT a comparable option available.

I suppose you could get a T-Mobile unlimited plan and tether, but I'm sure there are restrictions on tethering data usage.

I don't want to have to use cable internet and I enjoy the portability of a USB modem.

I'm hoping I can find a solution.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T/Sprint/VZW
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cellphone-guy View Post
    I am going to need a solution as well. I use the USB modem as my primary internet connection. There simply is NOT a comparable option available.

I suppose you could get a T-Mobile unlimited plan and tether, but I'm sure there are restrictions on tethering data usage.

I don't want to have to use cable internet and I enjoy the portability of a USB modem.

T-Mobile is probably out of the question. They've aggressively blocked out just about all methods of tethering unfortunately.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellphone-guy View Post

Take a look at the following forum threads:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...internet-exist

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...data-tethering

Feedback Score
    I just received The Email. Ugh.

The things we take for granted...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Saburo View Post
    I just received The Email. Ugh.

The things we take for granted...
    Oh, you mean the useless email that gives us no info on what we'll be offered to stay with Sprint?

Yeah, I got it today, too. Here's what it has to say for those that haven't seen it yet:

Dear Valued CLEAR/Clearwire Customer,

You are receiving this notice because our records show you are subscribed to services on the CLEAR 4G (WiMAX) Network or Clearwire Expedience network. Sprint is in the process of implementing major enhancements to the Sprint 4G LTE Network, including the deployment of Sprint Spark, an enhanced LTE network capability, by repurposing the CLEAR 4G (WiMAX) Network and Clearwire Expedience Network. As a valued customer, we are providing you formal notice that Sprint will cease operating the CLEAR 4G (WiMAX) Network and Clearwire Expedience Network on November 6, 2015 at 12:01AM EST.

What this means to you:

• Sprint will no longer support CLEAR 4G WiMAX and Clearwire Expedience devices or services.
    • Your CLEAR 4G WiMAX and Clearwire Expedience devices and services will no longer work, including your ability to contact 9-1-1.
    • You should not return your device(s).

To discuss your options or learn more, please call 1-888-888-3113.

Thank you for your business.

Sincerely,

CLEAR/Clearwire Wireless
    Back in December/January, Sprint was at least offering some very competitive plans on Sprint Spark with a Home Hotspot (modem and router in one, like the Clear Hubs many of us have.) They gave the most bang for the buck in terms of how many GB of usage you got compared to Verizon, T-Mobile, and the Evil Galactic Empire. But in late January, those plans went away and the usage allotment was cut in half. Apparently, the plans I saw were a limited time thing for the holidays, offering double data.

Has anybody called Clear/Sprint yet to see what they're offering us to stay with Sprint? We all need to know so we can figure out what to do for our future internet needs. They really should have told us more in the email.
    Last edited by Jack T. Chance; 04-15-2015 at 12:41 PM.

Feedback Score
    Just called. No offers for existing Clear customers. CSR said call Sprint and learn about their plans. That's disappointing. But otherwise Clear has done me well these years.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stardomains View Post
    Just called. No offers for existing Clear customers. CSR said call Sprint and learn about their plans. That's disappointing. But otherwise Clear has done me well these years.
    What a crock of bulls#!+! Their updated Terms & Conditions that went into effect some time ago stated quite clearly that they were obligated to offer us equivalent replacement devices on the LTE network! Did you even bother to contact Sprint yet?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack T. Chance View Post
    ... Did you even bother to contact Sprint yet? ...
    Thanks for volunteering to call Sprint for us, Jack. Let us know what you find out.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack T. Chance View Post
    What a crock of bulls#!+! Their updated Terms & Conditions that went into effect some time ago stated quite clearly that they were obligated to offer us equivalent replacement devices on the LTE network! Did you even bother to contact Sprint yet?
    I thought I had read that once too. Where did it say that? Maybe they are bound to do it if you stay on till the end? Maybe they aren't letting everyone know and trying to get them to cancel service before they would have to do that? I don't know. Where did it say that?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast