Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Clearwire Future

Device(s)
    T-Mobile BlackBerry Priv, VZW AC791L Jetpack, MoFi 4500 SIM4 V. 2 LTE Gateway
    Carrier(s)
    ▪T▪ ▪ ▪Mobile▪, Verizon Wireless, AT&T BLAST! Plan from 4ghsDOTcom
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clear2015 View Post
    Thanks for volunteering to call Sprint for us, Jack. Let us know what you find out.
    Man, ain't nobody got time fo' dat!

I'm gonna go into a Sprint store on my next day off, which won't be until Tuesday or Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by stardomains View Post
    I thought I had read that once too. Where did it say that? Maybe they are bound to do it if you stay on till the end? Maybe they aren't letting everyone know and trying to get them to cancel service before they would have to do that? I don't know. Where did it say that?
    It said it in the updated Terms & Conditions listed on the Clear website. At some point, you had to agree to those updated terms. There was discussion of it in one of the threads here.
    Photobucket's policy changes SUCK!

New signature coming soon-ish...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Also... Sprint's "Family Data Share Plans" for having multiple devices on the account (I have 2 Clear Hubs and one of the old 4G+ USB modems all on my account) really SUCK now! Here's what's currently available:

The deals they had back around New Year's were MUCH better! At every price level, they offered at least TWICE the amount of data usage shown, making them the most competitive plans around! I would've actually been able to get the amount of usage I needed for all 3 devices for about what I pay now. But not with these plans. Attachment 124364

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stardomains View Post
    I thought I had read that once too. Where did it say that? Maybe they are bound to do it if you stay on till the end? Maybe they aren't letting everyone know and trying to get them to cancel service before they would have to do that? I don't know. Where did it say that?
    It was mentioned in Sprint's updated T&C. Not sure it was ever in Clear's.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/14/s...act-wimax-end/

It was only hinted at in The Leaked Memo. Last sentence.

http://www.androidcentral.com/leaked...ork-nov-6-2015

Device(s)
    Palm Centro Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS (SERO 500)
    Feedback Score
    It was mentioned in Sprint's updated T&C. Not sure it was ever in Clear's.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/14/s...act-wimax-end/

It was only hinted at in The Leaked Memo. Last sentence.

http://www.androidcentral.com/leaked...ork-nov-6-2015
    Interesting. While Sprint may provide us with a low or no-cost piece of hardware, their service plans have terrible prices, and I cannot see many compelling reasons for them to offer price breaks to us Clear customers.

I guess that it's time for me to start looking into other options. FIOS is now available in my area.

Feedback Score
    I'm wondering if all these free device mentionings are for like Sprint customers who have like an HTC Wimax phone.

This is disappointing. I use about 35GB on Clear a month. That's just web surfing and no Netflix. Ain't nothing going to come close to providing me with the service/price combo I had with Clear.

Feedback Score
    Well, in anticipation of the shutdown and because I'm a gadget nerd I went out and got the TMobile ZTE Z915 new Hotspot that supports their new LTE band 12 I read. Attached is the first speed test. Nice having a wireless N device too as the wifi range in house is definitely better. It is a lot bigger than the Voyager though. Data plans aren't anywhere near Clear's deal but it may be all there is for me. Probably would stay with Sprint if they offered something special to us loyal Clear users.

Name:  tmob.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  52.7 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-04-19 at 6.34.34 PM.png
Views: 931
Size:  784.3 KB
    Last edited by stardomains; 04-19-2015 at 06:39 PM.

Feedback Score
    H2O put up an announcement they are shutting down their current Bolt service on Sep 30, 2015 and will be transitioning to an LTE service. They resold Clear Wimax for $50/mo. No details yet on the LTE service.

https://bolt.h2owirelessnow.com/main...hp?page=notice

Device(s)
    Moto G4, Novatel 7730L, ZTE Mobley, StarTAC
    Carrier(s)
    Viaero, Commnet, VZW, AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Got the legal notice of shutdown on November 6th, 2015. Contacted customer service a few times. There are no migration plans offered at this time (or possibly ever). The clock is now ticking.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    The Good News: Thanks to a friend, I've found a company called United Wireless that's offering LTE 4G broadband internet with UNLIMITED usage for $100 a month!

The Bad News: It's FIXED LTE Broadband and they only offer it in SOUTHWEST KANSAS.

Right now, it looks like I might have to buy a Sprint Spark phone with an unlimited data plan, root that sucker, download the appropriate app(s), and use it as a mobile hotspot without Sprint knowing that's what I'm doing. Name:  shifty.gif
Views: 698
Size:  260 Bytes

We SHOULD be able to just activate a Sprint Spark phone on an unlimited data plan, buy a Sprint Spark hotspot, swap the SIM card into it, and be up & running with unlimited data, but NOOOO, Sprint has to go and be a bunch of Rectal Haberdashers and IMEI lock the SIMs!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by E_tron View Post
    Got the legal notice of shutdown on November 6th, 2015. Contacted customer service a few times. There are no migration plans offered at this time (or possibly ever). The clock is now ticking.
    I think it's still too early for them to be offering us anything.

Sprint issued a statement Monday saying it would provide a free Sprint LTE-capable device — an upgrade from old devices — to certain Sprint subscribers and let the subscribers stay on their existing service plan, if it is available. However, Clearwire subscribers will have to pay for a new device.
    http://chicago.suntimes.com/business...twork-wireless

Hopefully we'll be allowed to keep our plan if we pay for a new device.

Feedback Score
    H2O put up an announcement they are shutting down their current Bolt service on Sep 30, 2015 and will be transitioning to an LTE service. They resold Clear Wimax for $50/mo. No details yet on the LTE service.
    H2O updated their Bolt site with their replacement LTE service, hotspot, and SIM. Looks like it's AT&T LTE with several plans maxing out at $70/7GB/30days. No mention of unlimited, throttled service so I guess they just cut you off. GoPhone's plans for the same service, presumably, look to be a slightly better deal, if this appeals to anyone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldog2015 View Post
    H2O updated their Bolt site with their replacement LTE service, hotspot, and SIM. Looks like it's AT&T LTE with several plans maxing out at $70/7GB/30days. No mention of unlimited, throttled service so I guess they just cut you off. GoPhone's plans for the same service, presumably, look to be a slightly better deal, if this appeals to anyone.
    AT&T has better plan offerings directly for prepaid data connect. 5Gbps for 50 with tethering and included domestic roaming and free Wifi on some AT&T hotspots. Same ten per gig but you need to buy in multiples of 5Gbps based on existing plans.

Sprint spark is a larger money maker than Clearwire since its on a more standardized robust protocol and will provided more bandwidth.

Clearwire, Freedompop and even Sprint and MVNO plans were at the bottom of the barrel for speed and coverage but led on cost.

Clearwire spent a lot on brand new towers and infrastructure. There was a Clearwire store here which shut down.

I wonder if they shut down some towers to save on cost and integrate with the regular network. Sprint had Nextel towers, Clearwire towers and Native sprint towers. A hodgepodge of wireless networks behind the surface.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Feedback Score
    If this is an inappropriate question for this thread, please advise and I will remove and post elsewhere.

In advance of the demise of Clear/Clearwire, I have moved on to other solutions that work for me. But now I wonder if the equipment is useful for anyone else with any other carriers or whatever. I'm one of those green types who believes in reduce-reuse-recycle so I have a hard time getting rid of anything that still works (3 SD TVs in my attic).

I have two Motorola Series M wireless WiMax modems, one lightly used and one never even plugged in (they sent me two by mistake and when I tried -- sincerely and repeatedly -- to return the extra, they didn't follow up on the procedures for return so they never tried to get it back from me and never charged me for it). I also have one mobile USB 4G Atlas Modem Stick Atlas. This thing has been "rode hard and put away wet" as the saying goes. It's been a workhorse for me for 3-4 years, but still works great.

Question 1: Are these of any value, reusable in any way?

Question 2: If they can be repurposed, if anyone wants them PM me and I'll box'em and send'em for a stipend amount plus shipping.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by E_tron View Post
    I received both the legal notice and an email warning that my access tower was scheduled for decommissioning. Shortly thereafter my Clearwire service became unreliable as the tower was taken out of service.

I cancelled and switched to cable Internet :-(. I will miss Clear, because I liked the simplicity of the setup, unlimited data, and the no-BS pricing (no weird fees). Too bad the network just never caught on. There needs to be more competition in Internet service.

Feedback Score
    Sprint is hoping most Clear customers just leave so they don't have to offer any migration path. The few that are left will just get cut off.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast