Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Clearwire Future

Device(s)
    LG V20 and LG G Pad X 8.0
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile One Plan 6+1 lines
    Feedback Score
    It looks like the ending is near.
    it's been fun using Clearwire during college years because it's unlimited, but frankly, Clearwire isn't that much outside the college because the service isn't that great in many areas.
    The good news is: T-Mobile has increased the included tethering to 5GB with grandfathered National Unlimited with calling, and plus the 5GB Data Match for $10, so $10 for 5+5GB isn't bad at all.

Optimum/Cablevision

Feedback Score

Clearwire Future

Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    Sprint is hoping most Clear customers just leave so they don't have to offer any migration path. The few that are left will just get cut off.
    Yes, when I spoke to the customer service rep to cancel they said that once the account was closed it could never be reactivate. No alternative service with Sprint was offered. They don't want to be in the business of home Internet anymore.

I hope that one day, LTE connectivity will be so prevalent and inexpensive that unlimited home wireless service will again be available. It would be nice to just take the service along when moving to a new home, rather than having to get a new wired connection every time. I think wireless connections may be more redundant too, since mobile providers typically have multiple towers in an area, whereas a tree falling on a utility pole connected to house can knock out service with no quick option for operational recovery. I guess that would knock out electricity too, though, unpowering the modem.

Device(s)
    T-Mobile BlackBerry Priv, VZW AC791L Jetpack, MoFi 4500 SIM4 V. 2 LTE Gateway
    Carrier(s)
    ▪T▪ ▪ ▪Mobile▪, Verizon Wireless, AT&T BLAST! Plan from 4ghsDOTcom
    Feedback Score

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Walker957 View Post
    Yes, when I spoke to the customer service rep to cancel they said that once the account was closed it could never be reactivate. No alternative service with Sprint was offered. They don't want to be in the business of home Internet anymore.

I hope that one day, LTE connectivity will be so prevalent and inexpensive that unlimited home wireless service will again be available. It would be nice to just take the service along when moving to a new home, rather than having to get a new wired connection every time. I think wireless connections may be more redundant too, since mobile providers typically have multiple towers in an area, whereas a tree falling on a utility pole connected to house can knock out service with no quick option for operational recovery. I guess that would knock out electricity too, though, unpowering the modem.
    Sprint may not WANT to offer a migration path, but they do! Listen up, here's what you have to do to get a migration path:

1. Activate a NEW line of service on Sprint on the Unlimited Everything Plan with UNLIMITED Data, Talk & Text for $60 a month. This will be a no-contract plan, so if you want to have a 2-year contract, making Sprint contractually-obligated to continue offering you Unlimited Data, you'll have to pony up $80 a month for the plan. It's your decision as to whether or not locking Sprint into a contractual obligation is worth spending an extra $20 a month.
    2. Pick out a Sprint Spark ANDROID smartphone as your phone for that plan.
    3. Use your Google-Fu to research what settings to change in your phone so that you can use it as a Mobile Hotspot on your Unlimited Data Plan without Sprint KNOWING you're using it as a Mobile Hotspot. This can now be done WITHOUT rooting your phone or using a VPN, so it's much easier to set-up now!
    4. Enjoy using Unlimited LTE Internet for all your devices for only a little more than you're paying for Clear service right now (unless you decided to spend more for the security of a contract)!
    5. If your Google-Fu is especially strong, you might even be able to discover how to defeat Sprint's IMEI Locking of their SIMS so that you can put your SIM into an actual Mobile Hotspot or even the full-blown Sprint Spark Home & Office Hotspot to use that as your device. But giving out information on that topic is forbidden on HoFo, so you'll have to research it in other corners of the interwebz.
    Photobucket's policy changes SUCK!

New signature coming soon-ish...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    So, I just got another email from Clear this week. Anyone else get this one (or a variation on it)?

Xfinity (AKA Comca$h)? Really? Sinceriously?!?

Feedback Score
    I received an email today as well. They suggested satellite Internet for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack T. Chance View Post
    Sprint may not WANT to offer a migration path, but they do! Listen up, here's what you have to do to get a migration path:

1. Activate a NEW line of service on Sprint on the Unlimited Everything Plan with UNLIMITED Data, Talk & Text for $60 a month. This will be a no-contract plan, so if you want to have a 2-year contract, making Sprint contractually-obligated to continue offering you Unlimited Data, you'll have to pony up $80 a month for the plan. It's your decision as to whether or not locking Sprint into a contractual obligation is worth spending an extra $20 a month.
    2. Pick out a Sprint Spark ANDROID smartphone as your phone for that plan.
    3. Use your Google-Fu to research what settings to change in your phone so that you can use it as a Mobile Hotspot on your Unlimited Data Plan without Sprint KNOWING you're using it as a Mobile Hotspot. This can now be done WITHOUT rooting your phone or using a VPN, so it's much easier to set-up now!
    4. Enjoy using Unlimited LTE Internet for all your devices for only a little more than you're paying for Clear service right now (unless you decided to spend more for the security of a contract)!
    5. If your Google-Fu is especially strong, you might even be able to discover how to defeat Sprint's IMEI Locking of their SIMS so that you can put your SIM into an actual Mobile Hotspot or even the full-blown Sprint Spark Home & Office Hotspot to use that as your device. But giving out information on that topic is forbidden on HoFo, so you'll have to research it in other corners of the interwebz.
    I would recommend T-Mobile over Sprint ANY DAY for this. You can actually do this very thing on MetroPCS for $60 a month, unlimited everything... without having to mess with IMEI numbers.

Unless Sprint actually offers Clear users a real alternative, stop supporting them as a carrier and look for better deals elsewhere. T-Mobile currently has the lowest priced UNLIMITED LTE plans (Via MetroPCS and Harbor Mobile).

Device(s)
    Moto G4, Novatel 7730L, ZTE Mobley, StarTAC
    Carrier(s)
    Viaero, Commnet, VZW, AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I was offered metered satellite internet as a reasonable replacement.

Unbelievable, not an adequate replacement for unlimited mobile broadband. Grounds for an FCC complaint?

Feedback Score
    Surprised that Sprint is willing to give up all the subscribers who currently have Clear and not give them an option to rollover to another of their services.

Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rednas View Post
    Surprised that Sprint is willing to give up all the subscribers who currently have Clear and not give them an option to rollover to another of their services.
    They simply cannot offer anything competitive with what Clear offered without short changing their other data plans. Clear was truly the BEST mobile wireless option in the entire country for ALL of its existence. No other provider offered UNLIMITED 4G for $40 a month, no contract required. The worst thing that ever happened was that Sprint bought them.

Sprint cannot offer an unlimited LTE option without putting pressure on its less than stellar LTE network, and they cannot have an unlimited $40 LTE plan being used for desktop data.

Plus they need to cannibalize the wimax towers for LTE bandwidth.

It's sad, but when Clear goes away there is not a truly competitive alternative. There ARE ways to get $60 unlimited data through T-Mobile, but there is no official option.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by E_tron View Post
    I was offered metered satellite internet as a reasonable replacement.

Unbelievable, not an adequate replacement for unlimited mobile broadband. Grounds for an FCC complaint?
    They haven't offered me anything.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Exclamation

Guys, I have T-Mobile now. I HAVE an Unlimited Data plan. But they will only let me share up to 11 GB, MAX, through my Mobile Hotspot mode. AND I have absolutely schitty service at work, where I would want to use it. They gave me one of the Cell-Fi LTE signal boosters to boost the signal at my office, and my service is STILL lousy with a capital LOUSY. T-Mobile's network in the town I currently work in is the most jacked up, ghetto network I've EVER seen from them!

On top of all that, T-Mobile apparently says they'll throttle people that use more than 21 GB a month on the Unlimited Data plan. It's pretty much guaranteed I would go over that.

Feedback Score
    Guys, I have T-Mobile now. I HAVE an Unlimited Data plan. But they will only let me share up to 11 GB, MAX, through my Mobile Hotspot mode. AND I have absolutely schitty service at work, where I would want to use it. They gave me one of the Cell-Fi LTE signal boosters to boost the signal at my office, and my service is STILL lousy with a capital LOUSY. T-Mobile's network in the town I currently work in is the most jacked up, ghetto network I've EVER seen from them!

On top of all that, T-Mobile apparently says they'll throttle people that use more than 21 GB a month on the Unlimited Data plan. It's pretty much guaranteed I would go over that.
    it's the end of an era.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whathuhwhat View Post
    it's the end of an era.
    Sadly, that's the case. Once Sprint shuts down the WiMax network, the people that have a 4G broadband hotspot with truly unlimited data will be few and far between, and most of the ones that do have it will be those lucky bastards that have a grandfathered-in LTE Unlimited Data Plan with Verizon Wireless that VZW won't allow any new customers to takeover via an Assumption of Liability.

That's why the only option for most of us would be to activate a smarthphone LTE UDP on either Sprint or T-Mobile (if you're one of those that they would work for) and then figure out how to use our phone as a hotspot without our carrier knowing that's what we're doing. And then you have to figure how to stop your phone from "timing out" your internet connection every 5-10 minutes. That's why I need to figure out how to defeat Sprint's IMEI locking of the SIM, so I can do what VZW customers do & stick the SIM in a proper LTE hotspot instead.

Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Sadly, that's the case. Once Sprint shuts down the WiMax network, the people that have a 4G broadband hotspot with truly unlimited data will be few and far between, and most of the ones that do have it will be those lucky bastards that have a grandfathered-in LTE Unlimited Data Plan with Verizon Wireless that VZW won't allow any new customers to takeover via an Assumption of Liability.

That's why the only option for most of us would be to activate a smarthphone LTE UDP on either Sprint or T-Mobile (if you're one of those that they would work for) and then figure out how to use our phone as a hotspot without our carrier knowing that's what we're doing. And then you have to figure how to stop your phone from "timing out" your internet connection every 5-10 minutes. That's why I need to figure out how to defeat Sprint's IMEI locking of the SIM, so I can do what VZW customers do & stick the SIM in a proper LTE hotspot instead.
    The T-Mobile option doesn't require any figuring out of IMEI unlocking and you can easily place a SIM into a hotspot. Regarding the 11gb limit and 21gb prioritization, there isn't a limit when you are using the unofficial methods. Also, every carrier prioritizes, the only difference is that T-Mobile gives you an idea of when it is more likely that you may be effected by prioritization. Basically, if you're a very heavy user and are in an area that is very congested your speeds may decrease more often after you pass 21gb in usage.

Getting an unofficial hotspot to work on Sprint is much more difficult than T-Mobile.

But, neither is the ideal solution to Clear going away. There may never be such an option again for a while.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Exclamation Better be the last time I have to say this...

I'm reposting this, since it was apparently overlooked the first time:

Look, I get why you're recommending T-Mobile over Sprint, I really do. But the point is moot when the hotspot won't work where I need it to work!!!!!!!!!!!

The town I currently work in is a more rural town. There's no Clear network there, and the T-Mobile network is EXTREMELY UNRELIABLE there, but Sprint LTE has been confirmed to work in my office (a co-worker has a Sprint id10tPhone 6,) so that's what's going to work for me. I'll actually be connectring my T-Mobile Galaxy S4 to the Sprint device via WiFi to improve my phone's service, just as I've done with Clear in the past. And THAT'S why it's good for your mobile hotspot and your phone to be on 2 different carriers, kids!
    Last edited by Jack T. Chance; 07-27-2015 at 03:00 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast