Thread: unlock from Simple Mobile a previously unlocked T-Mobile HTC MyTouch 4G

Feedback Score

Angry unlock from Simple Mobile a previously unlocked T-Mobile HTC MyTouch 4G

I purchased a T-Mobile HTC MyTouch 4G from another person, unlocked it, and used it with Simple Mobile for 3 or 4 years. Now I have ported the phone number to Red Pocket and activated their SIM card. When I try to configure the phone with the new SIM card, the message upon starting the phone is "Network locked, please contact customer care" When I open the phone screen a keyboard is presented with the message "SIM network unlock PIN". I need to provide an 8 digit network unlock PIN.

Simple Mobile reps have told me they do not lock phones that come to them unlocked, and I have to go to 1: the manufacturer, and 2: T-Mobile.

HTC rep told me they do not unlock phones at all. They leave it to the carriers to do that.

T-Mobile told me they have no record of my IMEI code and no knowledge of my phone. I think they may have eliminated it from their records when they first unlocked the phone. They also said they will only unlock phones for their own customers.

Red Pocket told me to go to Simple Mobile for the unlock code.

Can anyone explain to me whether "network" unlocking is the same as phone unlocking, or is it referring to the carrier network SIM card, and what I can do to use my phone with Red Pocket?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rtmarvelli View Post
    I purchased a T-Mobile HTC MyTouch 4G from another person, unlocked it, and used it with Simple Mobile for 3 or 4 years. Now I have ported the phone number to Red Pocket and activated their SIM card. When I try to configure the phone with the new SIM card, the message upon starting the phone is "Network locked, please contact customer care" When I open the phone screen a keyboard is presented with the message "SIM network unlock PIN". I need to provide an 8 digit network unlock PIN.

Simple Mobile reps have told me they do not lock phones that come to them unlocked, and I have to go to 1: the manufacturer, and 2: T-Mobile.

HTC rep told me they do not unlock phones at all. They leave it to the carriers to do that.

T-Mobile told me they have no record of my IMEI code and no knowledge of my phone. I think they may have eliminated it from their records when they first unlocked the phone. They also said they will only unlock phones for their own customers.

Red Pocket told me to go to Simple Mobile for the unlock code.

Can anyone explain to me whether "network" unlocking is the same as phone unlocking, or is it referring to the carrier network SIM card, and what I can do to use my phone with Red Pocket?
    Simple mobile uses TMobile network if i'm not mistaken. You can use MVNO sim cards in most tmobile phones without unlocking. Check ebay for unlock codes.

Feedback Score

Simple Mobile Unlock

Quote Originally Posted by fmulder22 View Post
    Simple mobile uses TMobile network if i'm not mistaken. You can use MVNO sim cards in most tmobile phones without unlocking. Check ebay for unlock codes.
    Thank you for the information. I have solved the problem.

I had a very weird situation. Simple Mobile told me that I should not need an unlock code, but the phone was locked. They also insisted they had not locked the phone. T-Mobile would not give me an unlock code because I was not their customer, in order to not be condoning theft. I ended up purchasing an unlock code.

Anyway, problem solved.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    The MT4G was capable of being unlocked through software based methods. It's possible that if you did a lot of ROM flashing, you may have at some point mistakenly relocked it without realizing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cmstlist View Post
    The MT4G was capable of being unlocked through software based methods. It's possible that if you did a lot of ROM flashing, you may have at some point mistakenly relocked it without realizing.
    What are the software methods that might be available? Also, what is ROM flashing?
    Thanks

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    If you don't know what it is, it is unlikely that you accidentally did it :-) The software methods involved a complete rollback of the software to the oldest possible T-Mobile ROM, followed by running a particular unlock script. It was then possible to upgrade back again without losing the unlock.