Thread: Recent Expansions

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Recent Expansions

Just looking at the Eastlink coverage map and I noticed -- "Recent Expansions"

- Timmins, Ontario
    - Sudbury, Ontario
    - North Bay, Ontario
    - Moncton, NB
    - Saint John, NB
    - St. John's NFLD

Looks like its their new 700Mhz spectrum in action! All new LTE!

http://www.eastlink.ca/wireless/cove...acoverage.aspx
    T-Mobile
    $30 Simple Choice North America 10 GB

T-Mobile
    $3 Pay by the Day

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z10, LG G2, Nokia N9, LG Optimus V
    Feedback Score
    This is very interesting... If they are able to have enough infrastructure up and running, they could be the sole bidders for reserved AWS-3 spectrum in N ON, NB and NL, along with their current areas of NS and PEI.

They are a dark horse that could have a massive impact on the Canadian wireless industry because they control enough spectrum in enough areas to make or break a "national 4th carrier".

For a refresher, Eastlink holds 700MHz in Northern ON and all of Atlantic Canada, and the only party with low-band spectrum in Atlantic Canada outside the Big-3.
    They also own good swaths of AWS-1 spectrum in Atlantic Canada and Northern ON, with additional holdings in parts of southern ON and AB.

AWS-1 Auction results
    700 MHz Auction results

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. J View Post
    This is very interesting... If they are able to have enough infrastructure up and running, they could be the sole bidders for reserved AWS-3 spectrum in N ON, NB and NL, along with their current areas of NS and PEI.

They are a dark horse that could have a massive impact on the Canadian wireless industry because they control enough spectrum in enough areas to make or break a "national 4th carrier".

For a refresher, Eastlink holds 700MHz in Northern ON and all of Atlantic Canada, and the only party with low-band spectrum in Atlantic Canada outside the Big-3.
    They also own good swaths of AWS-1 spectrum in Atlantic Canada and Northern ON, with additional holdings in parts of southern ON and AB.

AWS-1 Auction results
    700 MHz Auction results
    Wow

I never realized that angle until right now! Makes perfect sense... The places they put their towers in are just the bare minimum needed to qualify for the AWS-3 auction. So quiet and sneaky...

Good point, never made the connection between the two...

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joeforshow View Post
    Wow

I never realized that angle until right now! Makes perfect sense... The places they put their towers in are just the bare minimum needed to qualify for the AWS-3 auction. So quiet and sneaky...

Good point, never made the connection between the two...
    Yep, I was just going over the requirements to bid, and it looks like Eastlink has just enough population coverage to bid for reserved spectrum in Northern ON, NB, and NL.

We should have an idea tomorrow if Tbaytel will be eligible to bid on the reserved spectrum in Northern ON (they may have too many subs), or if it will be only Eastlink (assuming they satisfied Industry Canada).

In any case, here is the link to all the auction details

Feedback Score
    In St. John's, they seem to only have a single tower on a hill between the city and Mt Pearl. I doubt the coverage would reach to even half of what their coverage map estimates... seems to be the same in Saint John, NB - one cell site. 2 in Moncton.

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JP4R View Post
    In St. John's, they seem to only have a single tower on a hill between the city and Mt Pearl. I doubt the coverage would reach to even half of what their coverage map estimates... seems to be the same in Saint John, NB - one cell site. 2 in Moncton.
    As you can see with this tower map, they have only put up one tower in each city with the exception on Moncton, as you pointed out.

However, it is 700MHz which can travel twice the distance of AWS, and they have likely cranked up the power to provide maximum range. I would still agree that their coverage maps are likely optimistic, but not overly so.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The website for the newly serviced areas is right here...

http://www.eastlink.ca/ltessential.aspx

I'm very curious how they are doing the voice part of it. They only have 700Mhz towers and yet I haven't heard anything about eastlink going VoLTE so this is a question I've had for a while

Anybody know how this works?

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joeforshow View Post
    The website for the newly serviced areas is right here...

http://www.eastlink.ca/ltessential.aspx

I'm very curious how they are doing the voice part of it. They only have 700Mhz towers and yet I haven't heard anything about eastlink going VoLTE so this is a question I've had for a while

Anybody know how this works?
    My bet would be that they are using roaming for voice and their towers are data only at this point.