Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Data - Oh the value!

Device(s)
    One Plus One (Virgin), iPhone 5c (Mobi)
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin > Fongo, Chatrlicity
    Feedback Score

Data - Oh the value!

The value is too much. Thanks Rogers for giving Chatr users so much value!

Name:  Screenshot-2015-02-05-08.17.40.png
Views: 2042
Size:  523.3 KB
    http://mobilesyrup.com/2015/02/05/ch...-data-add-ons/

As a quick comparison:
    Bucket/Rogers/Chatr
    200-250/$10/$10
    500/$20/$15
    1000/$25/$25

Why bother?
    Bell SK+fongo:
    $85 Unlimited NA, NA text, US Roaming, 15GB

Chatrlicity:
    $30 Unlimited NAM , $30 Unlimited Province Wide

Device(s)
    BB Passport, MS 650DS, W10 Alcatel Idol 4s
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I notice that this forum is hardly a hotbed of activity, I wonder how many subs they have and why they even bother, is it really worth it for them? The battle to bring down WIND is not going to be won with Chatr, it's far to wanting to be of any serious consequence. Fido could be a more effective tool but then they've never taken that brand's potential seriously either.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z30, Blackberry Q10, Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The only reason I think Chatr still lives is hardware promos
    Often they sell phones on sale which is how Rogers/Fido is dumping old handsets

Even pricewise I see no reason to sign up with Chatr over any flanker brands
    Unless you want local calling in zone only... then I suppose the $20 is best plan now that Telus killed Public's $19 offering
    It is sad I need to state the obvious but some people just don't get it. Any posts I make are my own OPINIONS and in no way represent the views of my employer

Device(s)
    Motorola Razr HD (XT925)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I'm on ChatR $35/mth.
    I don't use data on my phone right now, just wifi when I'm around it.
    For unlimited Canada Wide calling, this plan can't be beat - except for Wind, and I don't need/want Data, so I stay with ChatR - for now.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by IamAllan View Post
    I'm on ChatR $35/mth.
    I don't use data on my phone right now, just wifi when I'm around it.
    For unlimited Canada Wide calling, this plan can't be beat - except for Wind, and I don't need/want Data, so I stay with ChatR - for now.
    I actually think it can be beat, depending on your circumstance.

Cityfone (another Rogers MVNO) offers a plan for $30 with 200 minutes, unlimited incoming (call people and ask them to call you back), and unlimited evenings and weekends (all minutes Canada-wide). If you sign a contract they double the minutes to 400. If you BYOD they drop the price by 10%.

The Cityfone offering includes Name Display (which Chatr doesn't offer at any price), and the Cityfone plan includes global text (instead of Canada-only on Chatr). So I think each offers distinct advantages over the other. If you need lots of outgoing daytime Canada-wide calling then Chatr is better (no need to ask someone to call you back during the daytime) but costs a $5-8 premium. On Cityfone, the cheaper price, better features, and global SMS make it better for many others. And both are owned by Rogers, so coverage is no different.
    Lumia 950 XL dual-SIM -- SIM slot 1: Rogers (small business flex data) -- SIM slot 2: Public Mobile ($120/12GB/90 day plan)

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo & Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    Public Mobile kicks a$$ on that. $35 for unlimited Canada mins, and global text, and, the Bellus network.
    Un-Rogered, and getting better 'value'.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CGY Guy View Post
    Public Mobile kicks a$$ on that. $35 for unlimited Canada mins, and global text, and, the Bellus network.
    I don't think it "definitely" kicks butt on that. When I went to Public Mobile's website just now, The best I could do (even after the $5 discount for "two choices) was $35 for unlimited provincial talk. It was $40 with unlimited Canadian minutes.

Additionally, unlimited Canadian text was the only option I saw, not global.

So unless it's different in other provinces (I selected British Columbia), or there's some additional information you can provide, I don't think Public Mobile even really competes with Chatr and Cityfone, let alone beating them.

Phone Box (gophonebox.com) is a little known MVNO that also beats the pants off of Public Mobile. $33 for unlimited Canadian talk and global text, and your choice of either the Rogers or the Bellus network. They work the way some foreign MVNOs work, you pick up an actual Rogers or Telus SIM and then they activate their service on it. They mostly market their service to foreign students coming to Canada, but they can offer service to anyone from what I understand.

I actually struggle to see who Public Mobile is marketed towards, honestly. I can't find any price point where I can't find a better deal. Even on the Bellus network.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo & Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    Apologies Steven, you are correct that it's $40.

I haven't been on the site for months, and the last time I was, Provincial was $15, and Canada wide was $20. It went up (again), it seems.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CGY Guy View Post
    Apologies Steven, you are correct that it's $40.

I haven't been on the site for months, and the last time I was, Provincial was $15, and Canada wide was $20. It went up (again), it seems.
    Ah, makes sense. Can't you feel the value, CGY Guy?

The big three have essentially held the line on price for two years now. Rogers Share Everything plans (for example) cost almost exactly the same as they did when they launched them in September 2013. A few tiers have gone down $5, and a few have gone up $5, but on balance they're about the same.

The flankers, on the other hand, have gone from bad to worse over the last two years. And Public Mobile is an example of that. I struggle to find any tier where they offer better value than Rogers' flankers. I think for many customers Koodo prepaid may beat Public Mobile too, if you just have to have Bellus' network (you do get EXT with Rogers Wireless and Fido, but don't get it with other Rogers MVNOs).

So we seem to be in a largely static environment for in-market plans from the big-3. And we seem to be in an environment where the big-3 are trying to erode the value proposition of their flanker brands. Leave it a few months and come back again, and Public Mobile plans may be worse yet.

EDIT to add: And yet, the big-3's corporate plans keep getting better. I think the fact that they can still do three year contracts there (so long as it's all in the business' name, not individual bills) is appealing for the big-3.

Device(s)
    Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity/Chatr
    Feedback Score
    It looks better - now you can get $25 unlimited province plan + 500 mb for $10 :

https://www.chatrwireless.com/web/ch...bel=PlanBrowse

I think I might get that instead of my WIND 35 plan, as the quality of the network is really bad recently.
    Do you guys know if the Chatr data speeds are 3G or LTE?
    Tired of cell phone unpredictaBILLS? I can help!
    https://www.facebook.com/CellPhoneSaver

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo & Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hurdle View Post
    Ah, makes sense. Can't you feel the value, CGY Guy?
    Actually, I can from the standpoint that I have from the old $25 unlimited Canada wide, and global text, thanks to Telecom Zombie...

But yes, PM doesn't want to compete with Koodo.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_wisdom View Post
    It looks better - now you can get $25 unlimited province plan + 500 mb for $10 :

https://www.chatrwireless.com/web/ch...bel=PlanBrowse

I think I might get that instead of my WIND 35 plan, as the quality of the network is really bad recently.
    Do you guys know if the Chatr data speeds are 3G or LTE?
    Chatr is 3G and LTE, whatever your handset can handle. All of Rogers Communications brands are (except Mobilicity, for the time being).

Device(s)
    Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity/Chatr
    Feedback Score
    Thanks. I just heard somewhere that data is 3g only with Chatr

Tired of cell phone unpredictaBILLS?I can help!
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilipHelpsYouSave

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_wisdom View Post
    Thanks. I just heard somewhere that data is 3g only with Chatr

Tired of cell phone unpredictaBILLS?I can help!
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilipHelpsYouSave
    I guess they're doing that as a point of differentiation vs. Fido and Cityfone.

The part that mystifies me about that is that 3G is actually spectrally less efficient than LTE. Rogers also will have trouble ever re-farming PCS (and eventually CLR) to LTE if they keep signing people up on plans that only use 3G and only on those two bands. It's bad enough that it looks like 150K people from Mobilicity will be doing so, to say nothing of the thousands likely signing up for Mobilicity now that they know they'll get unlimited data in their zone on the Rogers network.

Time to do something similar like Cricket in the U.S. Cricket uses AT&T's LTE network, but throttles the speeds down to 8Mbps.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Honestly? I put my EX on CHATR because where else can you get unlimited cross Canada calling and texting with call display and voicemail and such on a decent network for $25 net for the first 8 months?

They charge $35, but credit back $10/month - if you don't need data this is the way to go.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast