Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 28 of 28

Thread: Data - Oh the value!

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    647
    Device(s)
    Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity/Chatr
    Feedback Score
    0
    I thought Chatr still has Zones, and their minutes not Canada wide when you travel outside Chatr zone?
    Also do you refer to special promo or something?


    Tired of cell phone unpredictaBILLS?I can help!
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilipHelpsYouSave
    Tired of cell phone unpredictaBILLS? I can help!
    https://www.facebook.com/CellPhoneSaver

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    269
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    0
    As of May 5 zone restrictions were removed for any plan at $25 and higher - and if your plan was Canadawide ($35) then you could call from anywhere on the Rogers network to anywhere in Canada as well.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7
    Device(s)
    SE W600i
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by snugglebunny View Post
    Honestly? I put my EX on CHATR because where else can you get unlimited cross Canada calling and texting with call display and voicemail and such on a decent network for $25 net for the first 8 months?

    They charge $35, but credit back $10/month - if you don't need data this is the way to go.
    I've been looking at Chat-R for my 12 year old daughter. Got an iPhone 5S (locked to Rogers). Apparently I don't have to unlock the phone to use with Chat-R as long as I'm only using Talk & Text, data would apparently need the phone unlocked... I don't get that.

    Apparently the $10 off ($80 credit because of Autopay) will only last the first 8 months. After the first 8 months, you're back to paying full pop. I'm hoping they would have a better plan at that time. Just wondering if you knew that the "$10 off promo" only lasts the first 8 months.

    What do you think of coverage, etc. Would you say it works as well as Rogers does? Thanks!

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    269
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    0
    Yeah, I knew that and I wrote that in my post: "net $25/month for the first 8 months".

    Of course if you aren't tied to your number you can always restart the credit by cancelling and re-subscribing - or perhaps (at your own risk) porting out to Public or one of the other NVMOs or second tier brands for a month and porting back in again, since they have no activation charge beyond the money they charge for the SIM.

    FYI, the coverage IS Rogers' coverage - same network. Just like Fido in that regard.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7
    Device(s)
    SE W600i
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by snugglebunny View Post
    Yeah, I knew that and I wrote that in my post: "net $25/month for the first 8 months".

    Of course if you aren't tied to your number you can always restart the credit by cancelling and re-subscribing - or perhaps (at your own risk) porting out to Public or one of the other NVMOs or second tier brands for a month and porting back in again, since they have no activation charge beyond the money they charge for the SIM.

    FYI, the coverage IS Rogers' coverage - same network. Just like Fido in that regard.
    Ah right... I saw that after but didn't want to edit the comment.

    Any comment on Data with ChatR? Is it 3G or 4G/LTE also?

    Thanks again!

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    269
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    0
    I can't comment on the data, since the EX uses a cheap flip phone and doesn't subscribe to any.

    From what I can see, if you want to use *some* data you'd be a lot better off subscribing to a Quebec market plan from Koodo where you get 1 gig of data and unlimited canadawide calling for $40 (this week's price - last week they were selling it for $35 and the week before is was $38 - and 2 months ago you got 2 Gigs for $43).

    Or for $48 you can get 5 Gigs on a Saskatchewan-based plan from Koodo.

    Fido is likewise $40 for a BYOD plan with 1 gig in the Quebec market.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,089
    Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by djrobin View Post
    Any comment on Data with ChatR? Is it 3G or 4G/LTE also?

    Thanks again!

    Chatr afterwards to be 3G-only, sadly.
    Lumia 950 XL dual-SIM -- SIM slot 1: Rogers (small business flex data) -- SIM slot 2: Public Mobile ($120/12GB/90 day plan)

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7
    Device(s)
    SE W600i
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    0
    So test completed successfully. A ChatR SIM works flawlessly in a LOCKED Rogers iPhone 5S. Tried the ChatR SIM in a Fido iPhone 6 but it didn't. Wasn't able to test data though, I'm told Data will not work unless the phone is Unlocked.

    Thought I'd post here in case someone was wondering.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,089
    Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by djrobin View Post
    So test completed successfully. A ChatR SIM works flawlessly in a LOCKED Rogers iPhone 5S. Tried the ChatR SIM in a Fido iPhone 6 but it didn't. Wasn't able to test data though, I'm told Data will not work unless the phone is Unlocked.

    Thought I'd post here in case someone was wondering.
    Rogers and Fido SIMs also don't usually work in locked iPhones. Interesting that your Chatr SIM worked in the 5S.

    I'd expect a Chatr SIM to work great in all Rogers and Fido-locked Windows Phones, and probably many Android handsets. No idea about Blackberries.

    Can you confirm that you only got 3G in the 5S?

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7
    Device(s)
    SE W600i
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hurdle View Post
    Rogers and Fido SIMs also don't usually work in locked iPhones. Interesting that your Chatr SIM worked in the 5S.

    I'd expect a Chatr SIM to work great in all Rogers and Fido-locked Windows Phones, and probably many Android handsets. No idea about Blackberries.

    Can you confirm that you only got 3G in the 5S?
    No, the ChatR SIM did NOT work in an iPhone 6 locked to Fido, it worked okay in an iPhone 5S locked to Rogers though.

    Sorry, no idea about data, I just got my daughter a Talk + Text plan... I have been told for data to work, the iPhone must be unlocked. I cannot see the Carrier Data Settings to be able to change the APN manually. Not an issue for me at this present moment.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,348
    Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo & Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    0
    He did say 5S, 6.

    No, it doesn't need to be unlocked. But, data has to be turned on for MMS to work.
    Un-Rogered, and getting better 'value'.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    3
    Feedback Score
    0
    for what its worth, i was on this auto prepay awhile ago and the so called credit has to be used asap monthly otherwise it will not be valid. at first i didnt know that i had to use it right away so i just left it within the account thinking that it'll be there once i need. so the time came when i needed it, chatr says my free credit is no long valid and i was like WTF? i didnt bother fighting.

    unless they've changed it for the better of the consumers, i would suggest anyone to use their auto prepay credit ASAP

  13. #28
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    394
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by djrobin View Post
    No, the ChatR SIM did NOT work in an iPhone 6 locked to Fido, it worked okay in an iPhone 5S locked to Rogers though.
    I believe Fido SIMs are still coded separately as per Microcell days. That's why Fido SIMs usually do not work on Rogers-locked handsets. There are cases where locked phone units coming from a Rogers company that would work on both Fido and Rogers SIMs, but they are more of an exception than the norm.

    Chatr SIM on the other hand, has the same network code as Rogers. Hence Chatr SIMs in most cases will work with Rogers-locked devices.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 12-08-2014, 09:59 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-16-2012, 11:08 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-19-2008, 06:33 AM
  4. ? about the values in test mode
    By j'vai in forum Sprint
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-10-2002, 12:02 PM
  5. Oh the irony...
    By WiZander in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-04-2001, 10:12 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks