Thread: SH-01F (Dragon Quest Edition) SD Card / Sim Card Issue

Feedback Score

SH-01F (Dragon Quest Edition) SD Card / Sim Card Issue

Hi All:

New here

I tried to search the internet and there isn't much help here in North America with a Sharp phone

Anyway, I was happy when my brother helped me to get a second hand SH-01F Dragon Quest version as I am great fans of the series.

That was until I start running into issue with the phone.

Long story short - I switched over from a Galaxy Note II over. Although the processing power is stronger, I realize the phone isn't as user friendly as I wanted it to be, namely:

1) Resolution was actually smaller
    2) Phone convo / Ring tone were too quiet.

And most importantly with the relation to this thread:
    My Sim Card and SD card seems to dismount itself randomly!

Sim card issue tends to occur when the battery gets to the low 10% zone - this has happened 2 times where the phone will go into auto reboot and then finding the Sim card being unmounted.

SD card issue happens too frequent to the point I am almost ready to just go back to my Note 2. The issue mostly occur when I am listening to mp3 in the car; Sometime just in the process of playing a song OR switching to another song, the music just completely stop and the phone gives the "unknown error" on the SD card.

Can anyone help me here?

It is getting really annoying and I am ready to just abandon the phone and just treat it as a collector item ~_~

Device(s)
    Aquos Zeta SH-01G
    Carrier(s)
    Mtel Bulgaria
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hello,
    Let's go over some of the things you mention first before getting to your problems.

1. The Samsung Galaxy Note II cannot have a smaller resolution than the Sharp SH-01F because it has 1280 x 720 pixels, and the SH-01F has a Full HD screen (1920 x 1080px), the Note II has a pixel density of 266 ppi, and the SH-01F - 440 ppi. because of the much higher resolution on the SH-01F, text and icons will appear smaller. Text and icon size can be adjusted from the settings.

2. Yes, ringtones on Japanese phones are quieter than their world counterparts. This is because in Japan they don't really like it when someone's phone is making a lot of noise. You may have noted that the sound profiles on the SH-01F are called "Manner mode". If the other person's voice is too quiet, try increasing the call volume. If the call volume is already set to maximum, I'm afraid there's nothing else you can do.

Now, to your problems. Your SIM card "unmounts". When the phone reboots (whether on its own or because you rebooted it), just before it loads the Home screen, it checks the SIM card. If the SIM card has a PIN, and the "Require PIN to use the phone" setting is "ON", the phone will not automatically get signal - it will wait for you to enter the correct PIN. You can try disabling the PIN check if this problem occurs too often.

The microSD card unmounting or experiencing some other issues. This is not impossible. Many Sharp phones received software updates that fix the "unknown error" or automatic unmounting of the microSD. Two solutions come to mind:

1. Update the SH-01F to the latest build version. Updating is now possible even outside of Japan thanks to an app developed by Tewilove. The app is available for free on Google Play. I have discussed it on my website and have personally tested it on five different Sharp phones. Updating could also resolve the random reboot problem. Check this: http://sharp.cheeseus.org/how2.php?stuffID=79

2. If updating fails, or if you already have the latest update, the only other option I can think of is to perform a factory reset and also erase all data on the microSD (make backups of your photos and music first).

Good luck!

UPDATE: I just found out from the comments section on my website that someone has managed to first get the software updates for their SH-01F, and then perform an OS version upgrade to Android 4.4. Perhaps you should try that too.
    Last edited by cheeseus; 02-16-2015 at 04:27 AM.
    Sharp mobile devices database & tips for Sharp smartphones: http://sharp.cheeseus.org
    Selling: Near mint Sharp SoftBank 005SH: SIM unlocked, permanent root, 16 GB microSD, leather case
    Selling: Sharp Aquos Phone 007SH – The Hybrid, SIM-unlocked, permanent root, 16 GB microSD, optimised.

Feedback Score
    Hi cheeseus:

Thanks for the great reply!

I understand the Japanese culture is different than North America and therefore it is understandable why their phone is lower in volume. I was also aware of the high resolution, but it just came in a bit of a shock when things look so tiny by default on the phone.

As much as I wanted to take your suggestion and make it into work, it is impossible now.

Long story short - the phone went from faulty -> unusable -> coma

Basically my brother told me to try applying alcohol into the SIM card / Micro SD card slot as there could be dust in there (we got this phone relatively cheap as 2nd hand - about $250 USD unlocked); and I used an empty micro SIM card adapter

I basically busted the Sim card slot because I input an empty micro SD card adapter which in terms jammed the pin of the SIM card slot. Yes it was totally my fault and I have read so many post on the web about people making this same mistake.

Phone was still working fine for about a day, can't use SIM card as the slot is jammed; I didn't dare to fix it nor did I have the knowledge to.

I tried to turn it back on today because there is a mobile game that I can't migrate back to my old Galaxy Note II.
    Long and behold, the phone won't even turn on today.

When I turned it off last night, it was after a quick session of USB -> Computer picture transfer and power off.
    The phone was left on the table for the whole day and now it is in complete COMA.

I just cannot turn it on anymore. Holding power button gives no response; so does plugging it into the computer or an AC Adapter...

It is pretty interesting because I moved myself back to the Note 2 yesterday and it is almost as if the phone is giving me a sign that I just won't be any usage to you soon?

*FINAL question* is there a hard boot up mode for the phone?

At this point, I am just going to get a relative to take this phone back to Hong Kong (where my brother got it) and get it fixed.

Thanks in advance

Device(s)
    Aquos Zeta SH-01G
    Carrier(s)
    Mtel Bulgaria
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sorry to hear. Yeah, you've really killed it...

No, sadly, there's no hardware reset for this (or other) Sharp phones. This model, being rather new, isn't even rootable.

I think your best (only?) chance is to get the phone taken to Japan, to a Docomo store, where - if you have the guarantee papers (even if expired!) you have the chance for getting it repaired, probably not for free but not for an awful lot of money. And by repairing I mean have the motherboard replaced -- that's how Sharp handle such "bricked" situations. I've had both of my phones fixed this way.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeseus View Post
    Sorry to hear. Yeah, you've really killed it...

No, sadly, there's no hardware reset for this (or other) Sharp phones. This model, being rather new, isn't even rootable.

I think your best (only?) chance is to get the phone taken to Japan, to a Docomo store, where - if you have the guarantee papers (even if expired!) you have the chance for getting it repaired, probably not for free but not for an awful lot of money. And by repairing I mean have the motherboard replaced -- that's how Sharp handle such "bricked" situations. I've had both of my phones fixed this way.
    Thanks again for all your help. I am just going to ask my bro to take it to a local shop in HK and see if they can do anything about it.

The only thing I don't understand is why it fail to start up now. After the pin incident, there wasn't anything that I did to the phone.

The initial intend of using rubbing alcohol on the slot didn't happen cause I was testing to see if the adapter even fit into there.....