Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sharp Aquos SH01G - Best New Phone?

Device(s)
    Aquos Zeta SH-01G
    Carrier(s)
    Mtel Bulgaria
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
    The Softbank and AU phones can be unlocked by the new law, but they can hold certain models back for 6 months. Some vendors like Kyoto Exports arranged a deal with their partner shops to unlock some 6 month phones earlier for a higher fee.

Do you have the frequencies for AU? It appears the J Butterfly 3 is a AU phone and maybe it's not usable in the US on any carrier which would be disappointing.
    No, I don't have the frequencies for AU. But since the supported frequencies depend mainlyon the processor, they might be the same, unless specifically restricted by AU.

Can you please provide a link to the new law? I know there have been discussions for another RECOMMENDATION by the Ministry of Communications to mobile operators, but not a law/requirement. As far as I know, it is still entirely up to the carrier to decide which models it will unlock, no matter how old.
    Sharp mobile devices database & tips for Sharp smartphones: http://sharp.cheeseus.org
    Selling: Near mint Sharp SoftBank 005SH: SIM unlocked, permanent root, 16 GB microSD, leather case
    Selling: Sharp Aquos Phone 007SH – The Hybrid, SIM-unlocked, permanent root, 16 GB microSD, optimised.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeseus View Post
    No, I don't have the frequencies for AU. But since the supported frequencies depend mainlyon the processor, they might be the same, unless specifically restricted by AU.

Can you please provide a link to the new law? I know there have been discussions for another RECOMMENDATION by the Ministry of Communications to mobile operators, but not a law/requirement. As far as I know, it is still entirely up to the carrier to decide which models it will unlock, no matter how old.
    I don't have a link to the law, which would be in Japanese, but each reseller may have a deal with a local shop to unlock a specific model before 6 months, but the law states every phone must be unlocked no later than 6 months after release for sale. KyExports is currently selling the SH03G, but it's at a premium price for now due to the extra arrangement with their partner shop. I am still waffling between this and the HTC J Butterfly 3 - I honestly don't know which one to get

Device(s)
    Aquos Zeta SH-01G
    Carrier(s)
    Mtel Bulgaria
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't have a link to the law, which would be in Japanese, but each reseller may have a deal with a local shop to unlock a specific model before 6 months, but the law states every phone must be unlocked no later than 6 months after release for sale. KyExports is currently selling the SH03G, but it's at a premium price for now due to the extra arrangement with their partner shop. I am still waffling between this and the HTC J Butterfly 3 - I honestly don't know which one to get
    The SH-03G is expensive because it's brand new - and actually not released yet. It will cost about 70,000 Yen (565 USD) on Yahoo Auctions as soon as released. Prices drop significantly when the next collection comes out. I just got an SH-01G for 35,000 Yen. Resellers such as Kyoex will naturally sell it for more.

Docomo phones require no extra arrangement to unlock - you just go to any Docomo shop and pay the fee (3150 Yen) -- or better yet, buy the code from Yahoo Auctions for as little as 1500-2000 Yen, and that's it. Docomo began unlocking their phones upon request in 2011. It's the other two operators who don't offer unlocking. Well, SoftBank does, but only for a couple of unimpressive models.

I don't think that this is correct: "every phone must be unlocked no later than 6 months after release". From what I can remember, the new law requires that operators make their phones unlockable upon request (and perhaps against payment of a fee). I will ask a friend in Japan tomorrow.

Feedback Score
    I am interested to know more - as it was explained to me, the law requires every carrier to unlock every phone and their only holdback was 6 months. If you're asking a friend in Japan, would you be able to do me a favor - so far no one from AU can answer this very simple question which is very frustrating - I just want to know which specific GSM 3G/HSPA and 4G/LTE frequencies the HTV31 J Butterfly 3 supports when used while roaming overseas. I don't want the AU person to get hung up on roaming partners, but just find out the entire frequency set for this phone on every possible network because it doesn't appear to be published anywhere....or they could even call HTC Japan at 0800 000 0117 where someone from HTC might be able to research this.

Device(s)
    Aquos Zeta SH-01G
    Carrier(s)
    Mtel Bulgaria
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I am interested to know more - as it was explained to me, the law requires every carrier to unlock every phone and their only holdback was 6 months. If you're asking a friend in Japan, would you be able to do me a favor - so far no one from AU can answer this very simple question which is very frustrating - I just want to know which specific GSM 3G/HSPA and 4G/LTE frequencies the HTV31 J Butterfly 3 supports when used while roaming overseas. I don't want the AU person to get hung up on roaming partners, but just find out the entire frequency set for this phone on every possible network because it doesn't appear to be published anywhere....or they could even call HTC Japan at 0800 000 0117 where someone from HTC might be able to research this.
    So, I've done some research and confirmed most of what you say. Here's a summary:
    Every carrier is required to provide SIM unlocking if you've had the phone for at least 181 days (six months) or 90 days after you've cancelled/completed the contract. You can unlock the phone for free by logging in to your respective carrier's website and follow the instructions. Or you can take the phone to any shop and pay the unlocking fee of 3150 Yen. This only applies for new models that have been released after 1st May 2015.

You can check here for a full list of what models AU unlocks: https://cs.kddi.com/support/simcard/compatible_network/
    You'll find your HTV31 in the list, too. The table shows all supported frequencies. Furthermore, each AU phone has the GLOBAL PASSPORT functionality which ensures coverage of non-Japanese frequencies as well (it's either UMTS only or UMTS + GSM). More info here: http://www.au.kddi.com/english/mobil...t/area-charge/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2