Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Cricket Q&A - The thread

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Wow, what great information. I wish I would have found this thread earlier.

Regarding locked AT&T phones, is there any way of determining before ordering a SIM card whether or not a particular AT&T phone would work on Cricket without requiring an unlock? My wife has an AT&T locked Nokia Lumia 920 that we have been using on Straight Talk for a couple of years, but I would like to get it onto Cricket and take advantage of the multi-phone discount. (After reading a few posts back, it looks like my wife's AT&T phone should work just fine).

Also, my father-in-law has an unlocked 3G tablet with 200mb of free data FOR LIFE on T-Mobile and I want to set him up with a SIM card for Cricket on a Basic plan (yet another phone for the discount) to get him 2.5GB/month. Other than creating a new APN for Cricket, are there any potential issues I should anticipate? Could we install a texting app to allow SMS and MMS messaging over the Cricket/AT&T network?

Thanks for maintaining the FAQ!

KC
    Last edited by zoofer; 08-24-2015 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Updated
    Cricket LG Optimus Pro
    Cricket Trio AXS 4G Tablet
    Cricket Nokia Lumia 920

Device(s)
    Samsung GS7, Nokia 6350
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zoofer View Post
    Wow, what great information. I wish I would have found this thread earlier.

Regarding locked AT&T phones, is there any way of determining before ordering a SIM card whether or not a particular AT&T phone would work on Cricket without requiring an unlock? My wife has an AT&T locked Nokia 920 that we have been using on Straight Talk for a couple of years, but I would like to get it onto Cricket and take advantage of the multi-phone discount.

Also, my father-in-law has an unlocked 3G tablet with 200mb of free data FOR LIFE on T-Mobile and I want to set him up with a SIM card for Cricket on a Basic plan (yet another phone for the discount) to get him 2.5GB/month. Other than creating a new APN for Cricket, are there any potential issues I should anticipate? Could we install a texting app to allow SMS and MMS messaging over the Cricket/AT&T network?

Thanks for maintaining the FAQ!

KC
    I believe the only known locked ATT phone that doesn't work on Cricket is an iPhone 4. (4s is good.)

I have no experience with putting a Cricket SIM into a radios but I have read lots of posts of people doing this sort of thing. I would wonder whether a tablet would have the cellular radios to send/receive SMS and MMS since the expectation is to not have voice calls on the tablet.

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mmoose View Post
    I have no experience with putting a Cricket SIM into a radios but I have read lots of posts of people doing this sort of thing. I would wonder whether a tablet would have the cellular radios to send/receive SMS and MMS since the expectation is to not have voice calls on the tablet.
    Excellent point, didn't even consider that. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    I'm assuming so, but does cricket map as ATT on sensorly?

Feedback Score
    When I get the device upgrade credit, can I use it online or do I have to buy the phone in a store? And if I do that, do I have to pay the $25 activation fee on top of the purchase? I'm currently trying to save up money so I can get a new phone when my upgrade credit comes in, as I'm officially fed up with Windows Phone. And does it only come with certain plans or what?
    Last edited by grandhotel; 08-31-2015 at 10:47 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grandhotel View Post
    When I get the device upgrade credit, can I use it online or do I have to buy the phone in a store? And if I do that, do I have to pay the $25 activation fee on top of the purchase? I'm currently trying to save up money so I can get a new phone when my upgrade credit comes in, as I'm officially fed up with Windows Phone. And does it only come with certain plans or what?
    Any phone on their website - any plan. I would pick a phone with 4G LTE capabilities. I'm a light user (email, phone, text, web, apps) and I have the Moto E and it's fine. It's lags sometimes but....the ZTE Overture 2 is OK also.

If you buy the device online, the sim is included and so is activation (so no additional cost). Everything can be done on-line. Make sure you can PORT your number (check on-line).

IDK what a device upgrade credit is but when I got the rebate for buying the phone, I got it in form of a VISA card. I didn't use it to pay cricket b/c I have autopay (discount....).

Keep your windows phone, esp if the hotspot feature is active. And don't upgrade the OS, that feature might be blocked.

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Here's a question that you can add to the FAQ. I have an older smartphone activated on Cricket that uses a full size sim card. I want to replace that phone with a newer phone I've purchased on Swappa that uses a different size sim card, but I want to keep my existing phone number. How do I accomplish this?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zoofer View Post
    Here's a question that you can add to the FAQ. I have an older smartphone activated on Cricket that uses a full size sim card. I want to replace that phone with a newer phone I've purchased on Swappa that uses a different size sim card, but I want to keep my existing phone number. How do I accomplish this?

Thanks!
    Get a very inexpensive tool designed to cut down sims, works perfectly available very cheaply on eBay and Amazon.

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    Get a very inexpensive tool designed to cut down sims, works perfectly available very cheaply on eBay and Amazon.
    That sir looks like the way to go. Thanks for the suggestion!

Feedback Score
    Couple of questions for you Cricket pros.

1. Canada Data options? Not seeing any info so I assume that isn't possible right now.

2. I saw not that long ago there were issues with data speeds with Cricket users getting really low speeds. Was this resolved? Is this a normal occurrence?

Looks almost like a good service for the price. Hell, maybe even a great deal. $35 for 2.5gb is pretty good even if its only 8mbs. That is plenty fast enough even for video. What is the catch?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    Couple of questions for you Cricket pros.

1. Canada Data options? Not seeing any info so I assume that isn't possible right now.

2. I saw not that long ago there were issues with data speeds with Cricket users getting really low speeds. Was this resolved? Is this a normal occurrence?

Looks almost like a good service for the price. Hell, maybe even a great deal. $35 for 2.5gb is pretty good even if its only 8mbs. That is plenty fast enough even for video. What is the catch?

for #1 - no data in canada just voice calls & texts.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    for #1 - no data in canada just voice calls & texts.
    I was just in Canada recently and one of the phones on our account had data roaming turned on for a short time before we realized and we turned it off, the data worked fine at LTE speeds.

It hasn't been long enough to see if there will be some sort of charge but I proactively decided to read through all of the terms and conditions, all three full terms and conditions pages using the search feature, and I did not find anything about incurring data roaming charges in Canada or Mexico. Interestingly the terms and conditions specifically said that data roaming will not function in Mexico but omitted that it will not function in Canada whereas most everything else discusses Canada and Mexico together in the terms and conditions.

Do you guys think if data roaming works then just go for it, use it?

Does anyone know for a fact if they will charge me in some way?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by <<M>> View Post
    I was just in Canada recently and one of the phones on our account had data roaming turned on for a short time before we realized and we turned it off, the data worked fine at LTE speeds.

It hasn't been long enough to see if there will be some sort of charge but I proactively decided to read through all of the terms and conditions, all three full terms and conditions pages using the search feature, and I did not find anything about incurring data roaming charges in Canada or Mexico. Interestingly the terms and conditions specifically said that data roaming will not function in Mexico but omitted that it will not function in Canada whereas most everything else discusses Canada and Mexico together in the terms and conditions.

Do you guys think if data roaming works then just go for it, use it?

Does anyone know for a fact if they will charge me in some way?
    if data works then use it. the worst cricket can do is to terminate your service.

Feedback Score
    I have a question that nobody at Cricket has been able to answer.

I just signed up for a new credit card at my bank, and they need a phone number to contact me that also has my name associated with it. I gave them my cricket phone number, as it is my only phone. When I try and verify details for security purposes, they say my Cricket number comes up with someone else's name. Note that I can't find this person's name anywhere on Cricket, and Cricket sees my account as being in my name. Something else to note is that I get calls all of the time from people looking for another person, which is apparently the person who had this number before me.

Is there a way to get this number associated with my name, maybe on caller ID? I can't pinpoint where the problem is. Really frustrating since I'm unable to activate the card until I get this resolved.

Thanks.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pojosamaneo View Post
    I have a question that nobody at Cricket has been able to answer.

I just signed up for a new credit card at my bank, and they need a phone number to contact me that also has my name associated with it. I gave them my cricket phone number, as it is my only phone. When I try and verify details for security purposes, they say my Cricket number comes up with someone else's name. Note that I can't find this person's name anywhere on Cricket, and Cricket sees my account as being in my name. Something else to note is that I get calls all of the time from people looking for another person, which is apparently the person who had this number before me.

Is there a way to get this number associated with my name, maybe on caller ID? I can't pinpoint where the problem is. Really frustrating since I'm unable to activate the card until I get this resolved.

Thanks.
    Email zendesk cricket email support and give them as much detail as possible.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast