Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What are your post Clearwire plans?

Device(s)
    Palm Centro Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS (SERO 500)
    Feedback Score

What are your post Clearwire plans?

It looks like FIOS and Comcast XFINITY are both offered in my area. I think that I will go with FIOS, as it has faster upload speeds and a better reputation.

For those without a line-based option (or who choose not to use one) what are your plans? It looks like most of the wireless options are rather pricey and have relatively low data caps. I have seen an ebay seller who was claiming to have unlimited LTE for about $100 per month.

Device(s)
    T-Mobile BlackBerry Priv, VZW AC791L Jetpack, MoFi 4500 SIM4 V. 2 LTE Gateway
    Carrier(s)
    ▪T▪ ▪ ▪Mobile▪, Verizon Wireless, AT&T BLAST! Plan from 4ghsDOTcom
    Feedback Score
    Right now, the only option I've found that'll work for me is to do something I haven't had to do for the last 10 years: Have a 2nd phone. It looks like I might have to buy an Android smartphone on Sprint, activate it on one of their Unlimited Data Plans, and then root that sucker and install the right apps so that I can use it as a mobile hotspot without Sprint knowing that's what I'm doing.

Not the ideal way to get the internet service I need, but now that Verizon has stopped allowing new customers to do an Assumption Of Liability to takeover an existing customer's grandfathered UDP line, and with Sprint IMEI Locking their SIMs so that I can't put the smartphone SIM into an LTE hotspot, it's looking like the only option available to replace my Clear unlimited usage plan.

Now I'll need to figure out how to get the phone to stay connected to the internet 24/7 without timing out, because my current T-Mobile Android phone, when used in Mobile Hotspot Mode, will drop the internet connection after about 10 mins of "no usage".

I really wish there was something we, as consumers, could do to get Sprint and other carriers to realize that ALL data usage is the same, regardless of what device is using it! A Gigabyte is a GB, regardless of whether it's downloaded on a smartphone, a tablet, a laptop, or a desktop. This should be obvious to anyone with a brain in their head, but the Big 4, their subsidiaries/partners, and even many smaller carriers all want to keep spreading the lie that data used on a smartphone is somehow different from data used on any other device!
    Photobucket's policy changes SUCK!

New signature coming soon-ish...

Device(s)
    iPhone SE, Cricket LG Risio 2(x2)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by timswim78 View Post
    It looks like FIOS and Comcast XFINITY are both offered in my area. I think that I will go with FIOS, as it has faster upload speeds and a better reputation.

For those without a line-based option (or who choose not to use one) what are your plans? It looks like most of the wireless options are rather pricey and have relatively low data caps. I have seen an ebay seller who was claiming to have unlimited LTE for about $100 per month.
    I have Comcast home internet and its pretty reliable. Some downtime during the night because of maintenance but other than that no issues. I think since I have made sure all the modem signals are in check.

We are on the the Xfinity Extreme 150mbps plan.

When Clear was around and Comcast partnered with them for that short while they built a tower like 100 feet from my house but then took it down essentially eliminating all Wimax coverage for the area so I sat all this time is a wimax dead area.
    Home Entertainment: Comcast Blast Pro 200mbps internet(Xfinity XB3 Arris TG1682G 24x8 Docsis 3.0 modem, IPv6 enabled), Xfinity Digital Preferred TV(Tivo Bolt(Main DVR)/Tivo Mini(Bedroom), Xfinity Voice EMTA XB3 with Voice Unlimited.

Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack T. Chance View Post
    Right now, the only option I've found that'll work for me is to do something I haven't had to do for the last 10 years: Have a 2nd phone. It looks like I might have to buy an Android smartphone on Sprint, activate it on one of their Unlimited Data Plans, and then root that sucker and install the right apps so that I can use it as a mobile hotspot without Sprint knowing that's what I'm doing.

Not the ideal way to get the internet service I need, but now that Verizon has stopped allowing new customers to do an Assumption Of Liability to takeover an existing customer's grandfathered UDP line, and with Sprint IMEI Locking their SIMs so that I can't put the smartphone SIM into an LTE hotspot, it's looking like the only option available to replace my Clear unlimited usage plan.

Now I'll need to figure out how to get the phone to stay connected to the internet 24/7 without timing out, because my current T-Mobile Android phone, when used in Mobile Hotspot Mode, will drop the internet connection after about 10 mins of "no usage".

I really wish there was something we, as consumers, could do to get Sprint and other carriers to realize that ALL data usage is the same, regardless of what device is using it! A Gigabyte is a GB, regardless of whether it's downloaded on a smartphone, a tablet, a laptop, or a desktop. This should be obvious to anyone with a brain in their head, but the Big 4, their subsidiaries/partners, and even many smaller carriers all want to keep spreading the lie that data used on a smartphone is somehow different from data used on any other device!
    You might want to try something like this;

http://blog.vivekv.com/how-to-use-t-...-internet.html

Remember also that you can legally send almost anything from your phone's screen to your TV via a USB to HDMI cable. If all you'd like to do is watch videos, etc.

Nothing really compares to the quality and usefulness of Clear. There really isn't a comparable unlimited plan. The closest thing is an unlimited plan on Tmo(metro) and tethering. I don't believe there is a way to easily tether the Sprint unlimited?

I feel exactly as you do. When Clear shuts down It will be like going backward in time to the dark ages of unlimited mobile internet. Having to resort to tethering, hacking, etc to achieve a portable, unlimited home internet solution.

If anyone has ideas for solutions, please post them here.

P.S.

Once Sprint shuts down Clear I would rather give my money to T-Mobile for whatever solution I choose.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellphone-guy View Post
    You might want to try something like this;

http://blog.vivekv.com/how-to-use-t-...-internet.html

Remember also that you can legally send almost anything from your phone's screen to your TV via a USB to HDMI cable. If all you'd like to do is watch videos, etc.

Nothing really compares to the quality and usefulness of Clear. There really isn't a comparable unlimited plan. The closest thing is an unlimited plan on Tmo(metro) and tethering. I don't believe there is a way to easily tether the Sprint unlimited?

I feel exactly as you do. When Clear shuts down It will be like going backward in time to the dark ages of unlimited mobile internet. Having to resort to tethering, hacking, etc to achieve a portable, unlimited home internet solution.
    One of my friends, just this week, discovered a very simple way to do unlimited mobile hotspot tethering on Sprint WITHOUT Sprint knowing about it. Apparently, you only have to edit/change one setting in the phone! I'm waiting for him to test it out and give me more info.

Quote Originally Posted by cellphone-guy View Post
    P.S.

Once Sprint shuts down Clear I would rather give my money to T-Mobile for whatever solution I choose.
    I already have an Android phone on T-Mobile with unlimited data. The problem is I have lousy reception on T-Mobile at work, so I need an option with better coverage than T-Mobile gives me.

And lastly, there's a rumor I've heard that I'm going to be exploring, a way to defeat Sprint's IMEI Locking of the SIMS so that I can put the SIM that has an Unlimited Data Plan into either a mobile hotspot, or their home & office hotspot, so I can get better WiFi range and performance than I would get using a phone as a hotspot.

More than that, I won't say. Just know that where there's a will, there's a way!

Device(s)
    Palm Centro Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS (SERO 500)
    Feedback Score
    So I ended up going with FIOS. They offered me the 25/25Mbps plan for $29 per month for two years. I had a choice to buy the modem for $99 or lease it for $7.99 per month. I chose to buy it.

I contacted them via web chat at 9:30AM, and the FIOS was installed by noon. I'm pretty happy with it so far. Download speeds are always around 24-26Mbps, and uploads are just as good and sometimes hit 30+Mbps.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    My replacement is now set-up. I just took ownership of a Verizon phone line with a grandfathered-in Unlimited Data Plan and the mobile hotspot the SIM card's going to go in will be here by Monday.

I've had a lot of great times with Clear and I'll miss them, but I now have the best possible replacement for Clear. Adios, Clear. You'll be missed.

Feedback Score
    I just ordered this myself.

Karma Neverstop unlimited LTE plan: Unlimited. $50/month. Caveats: capped at 5Mbps and only 3 devices connected at a time.

Interesting timing especially that it uses Sprint's network I believe. Bet they get a lot of Clear users.

Link in signature. The plan is called "Neverstop" when you order.

Device(s)
    Moto e815
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon /
    Feedback Score
    I'll wait & see what Freedompop has to offer over the next few months.

Hopefully they'll at least double the monthly data on the free LTE plan.

Feedback Score
    I also order karma. Their website said it would ship in a couple of weeks but amazon had it so I ordered from them. I should have it Saturday.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffham View Post
    I also order karma. Their website said it would ship in a couple of weeks but amazon had it so I ordered from them. I should have it Saturday.
    Karma sucks cause it uses Sprint

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vartanarsen View Post
    Clearwire is/was owned by Sprint so how much different can it be?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vartanarsen View Post
    Yes and T-Mobile sucked back years ago, things change.

Oh well, have fun. I'm sure the folks that order the Karma's will do

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/1429202232

No matter what brand, things change. What sucked before doesn't mean it still sucks today

Feedback Score
    I live in the country outside kc. The only other option is satellite for me. I started with a pcmcia card on sprint. Clear was a major upgrade for me.

Btw... My clear internet is still working today. I'm hoping for another 90 days service while they work things out in the trial.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffham View Post
    I live in the country outside kc. The only other option is satellite for me. I started with a pcmcia card on sprint. Clear was a major upgrade for me.

Btw... My clear internet is still working today. I'm hoping for another 90 days service while they work things out in the trial.
    Have you looked into Viaero Wireless? One of the few advantages you have living in Kansas is the fact that they're available to you. As a regional carrier with licenses that only cover 3 states, you're one of the few on HoFo that actually has the option to get wireless broadband from them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast