Thread: Scratch Wireless cuts data

Feedback Score

Scratch Wireless cuts data

I just received an email from Scratch Wireless announcing the end of any unlimited data passes, effective immediately.

"Our data passes going forward will have limits," the company says.

What remains is overpriced and not competitive.

DATA Old pricing New pricing

$1.99 24hr/unlimited 24hr/50MB

$14.99 month/500MB 30days/500MB (no change)

$24.99 month/unlimited 30days/1GB

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yikes! $25 for 1GB of Sprint data is very overpriced.
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Device(s)
    iPhone SE, Cricket LG Risio 2(x2)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Mabey Sprint is doing this as they are now catering to the bigger Mvno's or freeing up some network space. For $5 more a month than the $24.99 plan I am getting 5GB's of LTE with unlimited throttle after on T-Mobile.
    Home Entertainment: Comcast Blast Pro 200mbps internet(Xfinity XB3 Arris TG1682G 24x8 Docsis 3.0 modem, IPv6 enabled), Xfinity Digital Preferred TV(Tivo Bolt(Main DVR)/Tivo Mini(Bedroom), Xfinity Voice EMTA XB3 with Voice Unlimited.

Carrier(s)
    Scratch Wireless
    Feedback Score
    We believe our offering is the best value in the market when you look at it as a whole. On a per cellular GB basis its not the cheapest but most of our users (2/3 to be exact) pay nothing for service each month and the other 1/3 pays very little. Why? Because they are, on average, connected via Wi-Fi 84% of the time and can text for free in between.

The cellular options are there if and when you need them and 1/3 each month opt to buy voice or data passes. We realize this isn't for everyone but it works incredibly well for a lot of consumers. On average, our users save $76 / month from what they were paying before. That is a huge savings and for a lot of people, that savings is meaningful. We're bullish on the Wi-Fi First model and believe it will become more mainstream over the next couple of years as Wi-Fi continues to improve and become more seamless to connect to.

Feedback Score

Scratch Wireless has many positives, this is true

Quote Originally Posted by scratchwireless View Post
    We believe our offering is the best value in the market when you look at it as a whole. On a per cellular GB basis its not the cheapest but most of our users (2/3 to be exact) pay nothing for service each month and the other 1/3 pays very little. Why? Because they are, on average, connected via Wi-Fi 84% of the time and can text for free in between.

The cellular options are there if and when you need them and 1/3 each month opt to buy voice or data passes. We realize this isn't for everyone but it works incredibly well for a lot of consumers. On average, our users save $76 / month from what they were paying before. That is a huge savings and for a lot of people, that savings is meaningful. We're bullish on the Wi-Fi First model and believe it will become more mainstream over the next couple of years as Wi-Fi continues to improve and become more seamless to connect to.
    I'm glad to see someone from Scratch monitors this board.

I agree with Scratch's comments in its defense. Scratch offers a very good product. I am aware that it must be hard to do this with minimal user revenue.

I thought the unlimited packages for one day or one month were nice. I understand that "unlimited" can be problematic, but the new limits are discouragingly low and no longer a practical alternative, in my opinion.

Aside from this, I highly recommend Scratch. The phones I have ordered from them are of excellent quality, in excellent condition and are free from the app-software-hardware bugs that seem to plague FreedomPop.

Scratch Wireless is a class act and I want them to survive. I just wish that the data cuts did not have to be so onerous. I find Sprint data coverage to be superior to that of T-Mobile (via Harbor).

It's also worth pointing out that Scratch offers free 3G texting to all users. This is a great service that is hard to put a price on. This is rightly something that should be considered when talking about Scratch's overall value.

Thanks, Scratch, for paying attention to what's being said about you!

Feedback Score
    although data does seem expensive, comparable to ting prices, scratchwireless sounds like a better deal than ting. with ting you can use 0mb, 0txt and 0talk and still end up paying $7+ a month.

Feedback Score
    @scratchwireless may I suggest you take down this page of your website, which as of today still advertises unlimited data plans.

The path to the page is 2 clicks from your main page. Click "Mobile Solutions" on the bottom right, which goes here and then there's a link for "Unlimited Data".

Carrier(s)
    Scratch Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Thanks - the web site is updated. We had notified our current subscribers in advance which of course got leaked to the press but we update the site Monday with the new passes and of course the addition of our new $99 phone from Coolpad.

Thanks for letting us know.

Feedback Score
    The wifi-only concept is interesting and I have checked out and follow developments at Scratch, Republic, TextNow, and others. But, I have also conducted my own informal testing to see where wifi is really available, and at least in my world I would be extremely limited except at home where I have good wifi. At work we have wifi but it is strictly for work use and locked down by IT. I would guess half the time public businesses advertise wifi it is either not working, terribly slow, horrible signal, and/or so sketchy as to be worrisome from a security perspective. I think the only way I could make it work would be to also carry another phone that has mobile data and calling on one of the big two (AT&T or Verizon) when I need it. Maybe in a very urban environment it might make sense for someone who has wifi at work and at home, and the system provides at least calling and texting most places. Leave a city and you would be without data most of the time.

Carrier(s)
    Scratch Wireless
    Feedback Score
    We agree that Wi-Fi only would not work for most people which is why we've worked so hard to supply a Wi-Fi First solution. That simply means we use Wi-Fi whereever possible for everything and then fall back to cellular only when needed. For a consumer that is on Wi-Fi a lot (our subscribers average more than 80% of the time), it works really well. But almost all of our users use the cellular network at some point during the month either with our free cellular texting or from purchasing a cellular pass. We don't believe Wi-Fi will ever completely replace the cellular network, but we do believe, strongly, that it will become the primary network for most consumers.